Connecting Laptop To Tv With Hdmi Cable

Komerican

I connected my laptop to TV using a HDMI cable.

I only have desktop background on the TV screen. No icons, no toolbar and no start button. Nothing.

But when I click something I hear the sound and when I play something on youtube I hear the sounds but no pictures.

I don't know what's wrong.

Please help!!!

Edited by Komerican

I do a lot of online HDMI streaming with a laptop permanently hooked upto my Philips LED TV, I have a feeling the icons are there its just that you need to change your laptop screen resolution so they show up:)

What laptop and TV are you using?

Also depending on what TV you are using there may be a PC connection setting you have to choose which adjusts the TV screen to suit, on my Phillips TV I had to choose the "Unscaled" setting on my remote when setting up the TV screen with a PC.

Edited by beekaykay

I do a lot of online HDMI streaming with a laptop permanently hooked upto my Philips LED TV, I have a feeling the icons are there its just that you need to change your laptop screen resolution so they show up:)

What laptop and TV are you using?

I have Sony Vaio VGN and Samsung plasma TV.

I tried every resolution and set to the reconmended resolution by Samsung.

I do have full size background on the TV screen.

What operating system are you using?

What graphics chip and driver version?

Do you have the display set for "Duplicate" or "Extended"?

I have Vista and yes the display is set to Extend.

I have NVIDIA GeForce9300M GS amd Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family as display adapter.

Edited by Komerican

If you want to see a copy of your windows desk top it should be set to duplicate. It sounds like it is on extended at the moment. If you move your mouse toeither the left or right of the visible screen on your current machine youshould see appear it on the TV screen. I think if you set it to duplicate yoube fine you can then get the screen resolution correct as the TV may onlyhandle a lower resolution than you other machine. Although with a laptop itwill most likely be close to correct.

If you want to see a copy of your windows desk top it should be set to duplicate. It sounds like it is on extended at the moment. If you move your mouse toeither the left or right of the visible screen on your current machine youshould see appear it on the TV screen. I think if you set it to duplicate yoube fine you can then get the screen resolution correct as the TV may onlyhandle a lower resolution than you other machine. Although with a laptop itwill most likely be close to correct.

Thank you, barryw52. You were right.

It was on extended but wasn't duplicated.

Problem solved.