Question Re Non Immigrant "O" Visa

Hi there, I mentioned in a previous post that I am planning on getting a Non immigrant O visa as I'll be going to Thailand to visit my girlfriend who came to visit me in England recently. I wanted to stay there about 6 months, travel about a bit and work remotely from my laptop to a Uk company.

I'm ready to pay the £100 and get the visa but before I do I just wanted to check some things..

1. How strict are they enforcing the visa? If I keep on doing the 90 day visa runs to extend my stay, will they start questioning how I can support myself as I know technically I'm not supposed to be working on this visa.

2. If (heaven forbid) my girlfriend and I split up, as the visa is dependant on me visiting her, would my visa no longer be valid and I'd have to return home??

3. Aside from that has anyone had any issues applying for a non o visa when visiting someone? It all looks pretty straightforward really!

Many thanks

Lime

I dont think you need to worry about anything. When you cross the border and return you just exit, pay the fee and return, no questions asked. If you split up who will know apart from you and maybe you have lots of friends in Thailand. I understand your concerns and want to do things the right way. Just come and enjoy yourself, get a small amount of the Bts to bring with you it will be cheaper to get more when you get here. ATM will charge you 150 a time to withdraw cash but if you go in the bank with passport aand card that fee is usually waived. Be aware of your card provider's overseas charges, bring some of your own currency to change but make sure its perfect any tears etc they will not accept.Make sure you get some anti hystemene cream for stings and bites. Hope you like squat toilets, use the loos at the airport before your onward journey and have a spare roll with you for that onward bit, look for disabled toilets, you will be more used to them. Enjoy your trip.

1. If you have a Multi Entry Non O Visa you are entitled to multiple entries for a year.

2. Splitting with your Girlfriend will have no affect on your Visa.

3. There are reports of a tightening of rules regarding issuing Non Imm O Visas so you will have to ask the Consulate concerned. I assume Hull.

AFAIK having a GF is not generally a valid reason for issue of a non immigrant O visa to Thailand so that might be your first issue.

Thanks for the replies all, this is a really good point though. I explained my situation in another thread and someone recommended, I looked at the Hull site but must have not read it properly as I see it it says the requirement is to visit family members doesn't say anything about a girlfriend, how on earth did I miss that?

So back to my original question then, could anyone recommend a visa which would maximize my stay? I'm assuming the best I could get is a 3 month tourist visa?

Many thanks

Lime

Up to very recently visiting your girlfriend would qualify you for the Visa.

There has been a report that this might no longer be the case.

Telephone Hull and ask them and hopefully you might be ok.

If not try Birmingham or Cardiff.

That explains it, I could have sworn on the hull site before it said something about spouses/partners as well. So do you know why different consulates have different rules? I was planning on getting my visa in a month before I go - but if there's any risk of other consulates also tightening up perhaps its best I apply now?

Hull seem to have changed it policy, i would suggest copy of girlfriends id, with a letter from her, then phone calls to hull. Bristol and Birmingham as lite beer suggested, if no joy fall back to plan B. a two or three entry tourist visa, which could give you six months here or longer with local immigration extensions.

Keep us updated, as the rules at hull have only just changed.