Another Health Insurance Thread

chiangmaibruce

Hi folks. I'm keen to get health cover here for my family but not keen to pay a year's premium up-front, when we are really not sure how long we are based in Thailand for ...

and especially as it seems that companies here also don't let you suspend the policy (e.g. if you go back to your home country for a few months), and then re-start it later

Does anyone know of a sound company/policy that is more flexible then the rest in terms of this issue? Thanks

• 1 month later...

You have only 2 options:

Buy travel insurance, outside of Thailand, that will cover you for 6 months in Thailand.[*]Purchase annual renewable health insurance coverage in Thailand. (Recommended).

If you are planning to stay in Thailand for not more than 6 months in a year, then get travel insurance - it provides the flexibility you are requesting.

BUT...if you may stay longer, get annual renewable health insurance. Believe me, it's to your advantage. It will cover you in other countries (2 months, 3 months or for a full year, depending on the plan) and you can get part of your premium refunded to you if you decide to cancel. The premium refund amount is standard and is guaranteed in all health insurance contracts.

Thai Visa insurance can offer plans where one does not need to pay the full years premiums but do note there is a charge for this. Alternatively one could also pay the full premium then cancel and ask for a refund once one knows when one is leaving Thailand ?

For an on-line quote please go HERE stating the ages of all your family members and the level of cover expected i.e. the full 'Premium' plans suitable for the private/international hospitals or the "Basic' plans