If You Was Going To Say Enough Is Enough.............

TheVinylMan

If you was going to say enough is enough to living and working in Thailand, which of Thailands neighbouring countries would you move to and why???

Please take in to account these couple of facts

1. My business can be done from anywhere, but it would be good to set up a shop if it is easy enough to get a work permit etc.

2. Thai gf will be coming.

3. can vehicles and motorbikes bought in Thailand be re-registered in "the new country"?? is it a pain in the ass to do??? or am i best off selling and buying in the new country??

Nepal or Bhutan - great people,tea and mountains

Yeah, but do they have high speed internet, 7-11's instant rice burgers and the very popular (on this forum anyway) highly advanced sterilized movie theaters?

This is your biggest obstacle. All else is just monetary issues.

Make sure she wants to, really wants to...and don't decide to buy a ticket and head home after a few weeks.

This is your biggest obstacle. All else is just monetary issues.

Make sure she wants to, really wants to...and don't decide to buy a ticket and head home after a few weeks.

It was her idea initially a few months back....and i didnt really think much of it ... and she asked again yesterday, think she has fell out with her own country!!!!

I'm going to move this over to the Southeast Asia forum. Quite a few expats there who reside in neighboring countries. Do so research on that forum and you will find a thread that discusses this in detail.

Good luck with your research!

//Moved//

Viet Nam, you can own your own business 100% and it's an ASEAN nation.

Edit: you can't bring cars in from Thailand as the steering wheel is on the wrong side. Most motocy in VN come from Thailand (or China), so buy one there.

Edited by PattayaParent

Cambodia also allows you to own your business 100% and work in it in any capacity. If you decided to register the business in Cambodia (not really necessary if it is internet based), this can be done quickly, easily and fairly cheaply. Depending on where you live, you may not need a work permit (authorities in Sihanoukville seem to be demanding this of foreign business owners - cost $100 - but the rest of the country does not). Visas are a breeze to obtain and renew.

I know a number of mixed Thai/farang Thai/Khmer couples, together with a few Thai business owners, and they all seem content enough here. This will however obviously depend on your girlfriend's personality and willingness to adapt. There is little to no overt hostility towards individual Thais, who are generally treated considerably better than Cambodians living in Thailand.

Can't really help with the vehicle issues.

Edited by Rumpole

Camboida;

I have met pleny of western guys with thai wifes/gf there and they all seem happy,

Khymers are very friendly people and u dont need a work permit and 1 year visa is $275/year without all the hassles

Nepal is nice but ur only allowed 6 months a year on a tourist visa

While living in Cambodia i had my thai registered car. easy to keep there and once a year drive back to thailand and get ur renewal. not sure about re-registering but hink they might say no cause its right hand drive. Cars are expensive in Cambodia,

Singapore If ur making $100,000++/year!

Edited by phuketrichard

Camboida;

u dont need a work permit and 1 year visa is $275/year without all the hassles

Agree with the ease and availability of the visa, but as I said in my previous post, the venal authorities in Sihanoukville ARE now demanding that foreigners, including business owners, have work permits, though as yet, this is not being enforced in the rest of the country. In any event, the permit is being required solely as a means of generating income, and there are no Thai-style fiery hoops to jump through. Simply pay your $100 and <deleted>.

Guys many thanks for the replies........... I didnt put any countries in the OP as i wanted an unbiased view.

I did have Cambodia at the top of the list in the research I have done so far. As well as that its not too far for the GF to zip back to say hello to her sister.

Shanookville was our personal choice, but i have heard there are a few russians there starting to "throw there weight around" is this true???

As already mentioned it seems a lot easier to do biz there.

Is there as website that anybody knows that has all the ins and outs of visas/ work permits for westerners and thais as well.

Also for renting apartments etc.

I am not sure whether I can post links here, but go to khmer440 dot com (and click on "Forum" on the top menu). This very active discussion board tends to be rather Phnom Penh centric, but there are posters who live/have lived in other places.

For things specific to sihanoukville, try sihanoukvilleonline dot com. The forum is more welcoming than khmer440, and quite a few small business owners post there, dispensing fairly sound advice for newcomers.

I am not sure whether I can post links here, but go to khmer440 dot com (and click on "Forum" on the top menu). This very active discussion board tends to be rather Phnom Penh centric, but there are posters who live/have lived in other places.

For things specific to sihanoukville, try sihanoukvilleonline dot com. The forum is more welcoming than khmer440, and quite a few small business owners post there, dispensing fairly sound advice for newcomers.

nice one mate thanks for that

I love Cambodia for 10 days max but the food and dirt will take it's toll.The rice is fantastic though.

If you don't like the food, try Siem Reap. Lot's of good quality affordable food there.

Yes, there is. However the over zealous touting will quickly drive you nuts! I wouldn't want to imagine what it must be like living there as a westerner :whistling:

If you don't like the food, try Siem Reap. Lot's of good quality affordable food there.

Yes, there is. However the over zealous touting will quickly drive you nuts! I wouldn't want to imagine what it must be like living there as a westerner :whistling:

Very congenial and laid back, actually.

The overzealous touting in Siem Riep is mainly confined to the tuk-tuk drivers around the central Old Market area, and has no malicious intent. These guys are only trying to scrape a living, and are easily refused with a smile and a "no thanks". The touting is certainly no worse, overall, than parts of Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Krabi et al, and is generally a lot more good natured. At least the multifarious scams don't begin at the airport.

Edited by Rumpole

• 3 weeks later...

loser1' timestamp='1295182987' post='4155392']

'TheVinylMan' timestamp='1294754526' post='4144513']

Rumpole' timestamp='1294753822' post='4144494']

I love Cambodia for 10 days max but the food and dirt will take it's toll.The rice is fantastic though.

Nothing wrong with the food in Phnom Penh for price or quality , does get dusty at times , transition for the g/f would be easy , lots of Thai here and Thai food on Riverside which has a fantastic esplanade to walk along with no fear of crazy motos .Many expats have good buisnesses , people are friendly and helpfull , visas at your friendly travel agent , good apartment for around $300.00 dependant on date of arrival .

Need some help and guidance , pm me , always willing to help , done it many times already .