Mazda2 Vs. Ford Fiesta. Which One To Buy?

Ethan79

Hi there - I'm new in town and am looking to buy a small car. I am currently stuck between 2 choices. Hence I am soliciting for feedback on which one guys think is better.

Mazda 2 (1.5 Hatchback)

640,000 THB

Ford Fiesta (1.6 hatchback)

699,000 THB

Any one drove either? I've tested drive the mazda2 and it's quite erm "nippy" and agile and I quite like it. The service and maintainence package (2yrs free) seems good.

Ford fiesta I have test drive it. The service was abit snotty and they asked me to make an appointment for test driving. I'm alittle worried as I'm not too sure about servicing cost etc for Ford. Is it worth going back for the test drive?

So any suggestions from you guys?

thanks!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a new Mazda2 hatchback for my wife 6 months ago.

This is a very fun car to drive, more so than Jazz or Yaris.

Fiesta is a great little car in the category, unfortunately, it does not have the same appeal as the Japanese brands in the resale market.

Mazda2 is probably 3rd in resale ability, though they are selling like crazy so maybe that will change.

I bought a new Mazda2 hatchback for my wife 6 months ago.

This is a very fun car to drive, more so than Jazz or Yaris.

Fiesta is a great little car in the category, unfortunately, it does not have the same appeal as the Japanese brands in the resale market.

Mazda2 is probably 3rd in resale ability, though they are selling like crazy so maybe that will change.

totally agree on the fun car to drive part. The Yaris seems slower to response where else the mazda2 seems to be quite agile and turns well etc.

not so worry about the resale part (since my company provides some support there) , more worried about the maintainence/after sales service in case anything goes wrong. I've heard Mazda after sales service is fine. Any idea about Ford? Or are they really bad and parts will cost me an arm and leg?

The Ford I dont know to much about. But a friend got a mazda 2 new, about 10 month's ago. Report on that, after 5 week's the rear suspension off side collapsed. He then had problem's with the exhaust. All fixed by Mazda. Then the leather seat's started to crack after 7/8 month's. Upshot, now been sold. Might Just have been a bad one but who know's. But he lost bundle's.

The Ford I dont know to much about. But a friend got a mazda 2 new, about 10 month's ago. Report on that, after 5 week's the rear suspension off side collapsed. He then had problem's with the exhaust. All fixed by Mazda. Then the leather seat's started to crack after 7/8 month's. Upshot, now been sold. Might Just have been a bad one but who know's. But he lost bundle's.

Just thought of another thing, both did a trip just over 500km cost for fuel, my 3lt Fortuner 1.200bt. His 2.100bt so there a bit juicy.

Sales volume between the two is now almost the same, even though Fiesta sales are still only just starting up. It would appear that Fiesta will ultimately be the better seller.

Ford have the most efficient parts distribution network (PANDA) in the region and is the only manufacturer that can guarantee parts delivery within 24 hours to any TH dealer. Prices are competitive - even the major service (120,000KM) which changes timing belt, AC belts etc costs ~6000 Baht inc. parts and labor, average services cost 2000-3000 Baht, and are spaced every 15,000 KM rather than 10,000KM for other makes.

Dealer network is similar size to Mazda, but much smaller than Toyota/Honda.

Ford have a much bigger investment in TH than Mazda, and bigger long-term plans/commitment.

All Tier 2 brands (Mitsu, Nissan, Ford and Mazda) have experienced massive growth in 2010, and are eating into Toyota/Honda market share. Brand popularity and resale values will be very different in a few years from now.

Mazda have the new 3 coming in March, which will again boost the brand.

Ford have the new (class-leading) Ranger coming in Q3/2011 which will be a big boost for their brand.

IMHO, Fiesta is the better car - quieter, more powerful , smoother, safer, better equipped and more efficient than Mazda2 and Yaris. Jazz is closest competition due to versatile interior space.

All 4 in this segment represent great value in TH, and none are problematic, so all are good buys.. Ford Fiesta just delivers more refinement and features for the money.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Sales volume between the two is now almost the same, even though Fiesta sales are still only just starting up. It would appear that Fiesta will ultimately be the better seller.

Ford have the most efficient parts distribution network (PANDA) in the region and is the only manufacturer that can guarantee parts delivery within 24 hours to any TH dealer. Prices are competitive - even the major service (120,000KM) which changes timing belt, AC belts etc costs ~6000 Baht inc. parts and labor, average services cost 2000-3000 Baht, and are spaced every 15,000 KM rather than 10,000KM for other makes.

Dealer network is similar size to Mazda, but much smaller than Toyota/Honda.

Ford have a much bigger investment in TH than Mazda, and bigger long-term plans/commitment.

All Tier 2 brands (Mitsu, Nissan, Ford and Mazda) have experienced massive growth in 2010, and are eating into Toyota/Honda market share. Brand popularity and resale values will be very different in a few years from now.

Mazda have the new 3 coming in March, which will again boost the brand.

Ford have the new (class-leading) Ranger coming in Q3/2011 which will be a big boost for their brand.

IMHO, Fiesta is the better car - quieter, more powerful , smoother, safer, better equipped and more efficient than Mazda2 and Yaris. Jazz is closest competition due to versatile interior space.

All 4 in this segment represent great value in TH, and none are problematic, so all are good buys.. Ford Fiesta just delivers more refinement and features for the money.

Hi Moon - thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm surprised though coz it certainly didn't feel so when I was in the Ford showroom. Perhaps because I was there on a sunday and there was only 1 salesgirl in the showroom whom don't seem to speak english. Luckily I had a thai friend with me who translated for me.

Net the impression I took away was snotty service and every answer to my question was "no, cannot" ie can we look at upgrading leather seats?can i test drive? This was a stark contrast to the service I got at the mazda showroom

But perhaps it was just that 1 showroom service, i might be better off looking for another dealer.

But you certainly throw up an interesting question on the Jazz...though it's a relatively "old" car while the mazda 2 and fiesta are newer.

Hi Moon - thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm surprised though coz it certainly didn't feel so when I was in the Ford showroom. Perhaps because I was there on a sunday and there was only 1 salesgirl in the showroom whom don't seem to speak english. Luckily I had a thai friend with me who translated for me.

Net the impression I took away was snotty service and every answer to my question was "no, cannot" ie can we look at upgrading leather seats?can i test drive? This was a stark contrast to the service I got at the mazda showroom

But perhaps it was just that 1 showroom service, i might be better off looking for another dealer.

But you certainly throw up an interesting question on the Jazz...though it's a relatively "old" car while the mazda 2 and fiesta are newer.

Most dealers aren't' open on Sundays, and if they are, run a skeleton or casual staff. Also, we're talking about car salespeople in a Tier 2 brand's dealership so don't expect too much product knowledge beyond what you can already see with your own eyes - Tier 2 reps move from brand-to-brand, dealership-to-dealership regularly, so it's possible/probable your salesperson was selling Nissan's the day before ;)

Another thing you need to be aware of is that it's impossible for Thai salespeople to say "I don't know" - if they don't understand the question or don't know the answer, the response will almost always be "cannot".. :whistling:

In any case, I've long held that Ford's weakest point is it showrooms (and the 500M Baht they pumped into them last year did little to help) - service dept's are fine, but they just don't have the volume of sales (therefore commissions) to attract the better caliber sales reps. During the week you'll have a sales manager on staff, so will almost certainly get better service, better answers, but more pressure to buy as a side effect.

Note that the Honda Jazz will be receiving a minor change next month:

Basically the same car, you can't loose with either and it mostly comes down to features, cost and personal satisfaction in the end..

I agree I drove all the little cars just to see and I preferred the Yaris over all so it is very much a personal choice and everyone should try what you like the look off and types before choosing to save on disappointment.

Edited by Kwasaki

Basically the same car, you can't loose with either and it mostly comes down to features, cost and personal satisfaction in the end..

I agree I drove all the little cars just to see and I preferred the Yaris over all so it is very much a personal choice and everyone should try what you like the look off and types before choosing to save on disappointment.

Yes but I was also speaking in a literal sense. As for the Yaris, of the 4 mentioned being the Mazda, Ford and Jazz I'm sorry to say that the Yaris would be at the bottom of that list for me..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes but I was also speaking in a literal sense. As for the Yaris, of the 4 mentioned being the Mazda, Ford and Jazz I'm sorry to say that the Yaris would be at the bottom of that list for me..

Kinda of agree...not really into Yaris. I don't really think the look and the feel (cheap plastic) of it is good compared to the other 3. But again, personal choice.

I initially didn't like the Jazz coz the image of it in my mind is "hello kitty". It seems like so many girls take their jazz and pimp it up with soft pink steering wheel, hello kitty stickers and muffler etc. Just ruins the image of it in my mind. What changes is the Jazz coming out with in Feb? Any idea?

Yes I would agree again, from many people's opinion's but if anyone want's to put up I will take them on, I still say horses for for corses and I 'd take on anyone in those cars you speak of which, in what I consider no match for my baby. :jap:

Edited by Kwasaki

Well performance wise it is a bit short too I'm afraid but it's mostly about practicality and versatility for me. I used a Jazz to move my buddy once and also took a round trip the same time from Phuket to BKK to do it and the Jazz had an incredible amount of utility and cargo space, plenty for 4 people comfortably and on a trip of that length I also carry a fair bit of tools for emergencies and it still had still good performance.

While moving his stuff, with the back seats laying flat I just kept putting in stuff and it never seemed to fill up. I've moved far too often in my life so admittedly I do fancy myself quite the packer but still it was quite impressive actually.

I can hardly get a small cooler in the hatch of the Yaris sadly with the seats up :( and sorry Kwasaki not trying to challenge your manliness or taste but the "Hello Kitty" look he's talking about applies far more often when I see a cutesy Yaris then a Jazz and there are quite a few ways to put a Jazz on steroids and add a bit of machismo to it over the Yaris which just looks "cutesy" no matter how much you sport it up..

Like you said horses for courses.....

Edited by WarpSpeed

I just had test drive in Fiesta 1.6 sport and must say it was most impresive, the powershift auto gives seamless changes, no jerking you just see the rev counter bobbing up and down that coupled with the bigger more powerfull engine than the Mazda 2's. Is worth the 50k premium in my opinion, very tempted to order one in orange :whistling:

I just had test drive in Fiesta 1.6 sport and must say it was most impresive, the powershift auto gives seamless changes, no jerking you just see the rev counter bobbing up and down that coupled with the bigger more powerfull engine than the Mazda 2's. Is worth the 50k premium in my opinion, very tempted to order one in orange :whistling:

dude...where did you manage to test drive!! I've made an appointment via their online system only for them to call me back and said sorry, our car send for paint job, we call u back on when can test drive....and that was 2 days ago.... :( seriously...i think i am boycotting the Ford Nara branch from now on.

dude...where did you manage to test drive!! I've made an appointment via their online system only for them to call me back and said sorry, our car send for paint job, we call u back on when can test drive....and that was 2 days ago.... :( seriously...i think i am boycotting the Ford Nara branch from now on.

They have a orange 1.6 with powershift for test drive in Pattaya on sukomvit road just past Lotus on left hand side driving towards sattahip ;)

Both shit slow cars, but please get the ford.

Honda City is about the same price and is much more powerfull/confortable than both. Better resale value. Only bad thing in the city is the dumb side angle block on the front window. The honda feels like a F1 race car compared to the mazda/ford

Honda City is about the same price and is much more powerfull/confortable than both. Better resale value. Only bad thing in the city is the dumb side angle block on the front window. The honda feels like a F1 race car compared to the mazda/ford

hehehehe

Fiesta 1,6 has more hp, more tourque, more cc and a much more efficient 6 speed DSG auto. In addition Fieasta hatch suspension is on the sporty side, while City is designed to be comfy for old people.

Mazda 2 performs on par with City though

have no idea why you use a slash between Mazda and Ford, as they dont have specs in common. And if any of these would feel like a F1 car, it would be top spec Fiesta hatch

hehehehe

Fiesta 1,6 has more hp, more tourque, more cc and a much more efficient 6 speed DSG auto. In addition Fieasta hatch suspension is on the sporty side, while City is designed to be comfy for old people.

have no idea why you use a slash between Mazda and Ford, as they dont have specs in common. And if any of these would feel like a F1 car, it would be top spec Fiesta hatch

F1 car........:cheesy::

Fiesta 1600cc

121 bhp -151nm

weight 1140kg

-------------------------------

Honda City 1500cc

120bhp = 145nm

weight 1160kg

So ford lighter more powerfull and powershift as efficient as manual gear box :whistling:

Edited by br12stol

0-100 km/hr, average of 4 runs (Thai models tested):

Ford Fiesta hatch 1.6L 6AT (Powershift): 10.9s

Mazda 2 Hatch 1.5L 5MT: 11.0s

Mazda 2 Sedan 1.5L 5MT: 11.5s

Honda City 1.5L 5AT: 11.9s

Toyota VIOS 1.5L 4AT: 12.1s

Honda Jazz 1.5L 5AT: 12.2s

Toyota Yaris 1.5L 4AT: 12.6s

Honda City 1.5L CVT: 13.0s (discontinued model)

Honda Jazz 1.5L CVT: 13.1s (discontinued model)

Mazda 2 Hatch 1.5L 4AT: 13.3s

Suzuki Swift 1.5L 4AT: 13.5s

Mazda 2 Sedan 1.5L 4AT: 13.6s

Chevrolet Aveo 1.4L 4AT: 14.4s

Many test drivers have commented that Fiesta does not feel as fast as brand x/y, but that's just due to smoother and quieter power delivery and less suspension squat.

Edit: Added VIOS numbers, and note on Honda CVT's being discontinued (just demonstrating how crap CVT was ;) )

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

hehehehe

I thought the same thing when i read the brochure, then i drove one and something definitely slowdowns the acceleration. i saw NO difference between the fiesta and mazda 2.

My first car was a 01 Hyundai accent GSi and it was much more powerfull than those 2 cars. They definitely must of lied on the HP.

The mazda's suspension was quite nice compared to the fiesta, the fiesta felt like my Jeep Wrangler back in canada.

At first i thought it was the dealer's car that sucked, but it had less than 200km

Many test drivers have commented that Fiesta does not feel as fast as brand x/y, but that's just due to smoother and quieter power delivery and less suspension squat.

Edit: Added VIOS numbers, and note on Honda CVT's being discontinued (just demonstrating how crap CVT was ;) )

Thats the problem, when i tried the fiesta(twice) it was very noisy, and had a big kickback on every gear change. Back then i was used to a CVT (which is not powerful but does feel nice when stuck in traffic, no feeling of gears changing at all)

The kickback on the city is a lot smoother and i feel the acceleration is a lot faster, especially if you use the "1,2,3" speed on the gear stick

I understand that the fiesta should be faster but there's definately something wrong with those numbers, how is the mazda 2 even in front of honda? it has 103hp vs 125hp for jazz/city

Just noted one thing Vios same engine Yaris, Vios heavier than Yaris !!!!! err!!

Just noted one thing Vios same engine Yaris, Vios heavier than Yaris !!!!! err!!

These numbers are correct. Tested using a G-Tech, same test course, temps within +/- 3 degrees C, average of 4 runs.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Thats the problem, when i tried the fiesta(twice) it was very noisy, and had a big kickback on every gear change. Back then i was used to a CVT (which is not powerful but does feel nice when stuck in traffic, no feeling of gears changing at all)

The kickback on the city is a lot smoother and i feel the acceleration is a lot faster, especially if you use the "1,2,3" speed on the gear stick

I understand that the fiesta should be faster but there's definately something wrong with those numbers, how is the mazda 2 even in front of honda? it has 103hp vs 125hp for jazz/city

Mazda 2 versions faster than Honda in this test are MT (Manual Transmission), AT (Automatic Transmission) versions are much slower (in the list).

Note that in all of these cars, hatchbacks are noiser than sedans. Have not tested the Fiesta sedan.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis