Whitening Lotion

Felix Lynn

I agree, in theory, with buadthai.

It goes beyond racist and is a natural prejudice--if prejudice can be considered natural, and obviously it is--within people of the same races. ‘Trophy wives’ for both Thai and other men of color worldwide are often women whose skin is lighter than the husbands.

It would be easy to blame the white colonialists for creating the standard, with their epithets for dark people, but the prejudice seems ingrained and deeper than that.

The Hollywood standard of beauty is held up as the norm and the international market falls, hook, line and sinker.

The marketers of cosmetics come through hustling their products and as the lady said, you need white skin for it to be seen. Okay, so they sell you the make-up and something to make your skin whiter as well.

And since everyone is insecure about their looks, if you’re already white, then they’ll tell you tan is better and sell you something to make you brown.

Interestingly, I notice that in language ‘black’ always represents evil while ‘white’ represents good. I’m no linguist but this translation seems to hold up universally, to my knowledge. I’d be interested to know where it all started. It’s certainly true in religious imagery.

Personally, I prefer brown skin. As far as someone here claiming that white skin feels ‘silky’, -gimme a freaking break, awready. What commercial have you been listening to? Or do you own stock in Nivea?

When the lights are out it all feels the same, baby.