NATION Journalist Held Up At Gunpoint By 'Police'

webfact

Nation journalist held up at gunpoint by 'police'

Published on January 13, 2011

Walking along Sanphawut Road at around 4.30pm on Thursday, my son and I were stopped by a group of three men, one in uniform, standing opposite the Chinese temple.

They nodded at each other then stopped us and asked whether we were Indians. Assuming they were policemen, I answered yes and showed them my driving licence and ID card for The Nation, where I work. One of the group then snapped: "You don't talk anymore. We are from Immigration. We want your passport." Another man emerged from the rear seat of a Toyota Vigo pickup and pushed us into it, taking away my wallet with ID card, driving licence, credit card, debit card and money, while two of the original group got in the front.

We told them our passports were at home, and they said they'd take us there. Instead, they sped past our building, telling us to "shut up" and that they were taking us to Immigration. After demanding my wallet, I succeeded in snatching it back. Instead of taking a right-turn for Suan Plu and the Immigration Department, the pickup went left to Thanon Thangrot Fai Sai Kao and towards Samrong. I said I needed to call my office and inform them I was being taken to Immigration, but they would have none of it. In the commotion I realised that the man next to me was trying to prise the wedding ring off my finger. It was obvious that all of them were drunk and looking to make a quick buck from innocent foreigners.

I managed to get the ring back, then, as I tried to call my office, the man in the back grabbed at my cellphone. My son protested, and was told that he was "talking to much" by the driver, who threatened he would be shot. His partner in front then produced a gun, cocked it and pointed it at my son.

I told them they didn't look like real policemen (two were in plain clothes), and asked to see some ID. Simultaneously they produced their cards, saying: "How dare you ask such questions. We don't like The Nation. You are against the police. You'll be taken to Pattaya and shot."

We asked what they wanted. The "policeman" beside us produced a cellophane bag and ordered us to put our belongings in it, then grabbed at the wallet belonging to my son, who resisted. The man responded by trying to put handcuffs on my son. The front-seat passenger again pointed his gun at my son, barking that he "deserved to die".

Looking for an exit, we wound down the windows. The pickup then slowed as we reached an intersection, and we took our chance, struggling desperately with the "policemen" in an effort to open the doors. I cranked open my door, which was immediately nicked by another car, causing the driver of our vehicle to scream at his colleagues to stop us. At this point we began yelling for help to attract attention.

The spooked driver swerved towards the right kerb, and we managed to jump out. The pickup, with number plate Cho kacher O ang 5342, then sped away against the traffic in the wrong lane.

We were shaken up, but knew we could have suffered much worse at the hands of three out-of-control, drunk, gun-wielding thugs calling themselves policemen. It was a hair-raising ordeal and my 17-year-old son is already having nightmares. This is Bangkok, not the badlands of Pakistan or Iraq, and yet men in uniform are able to roam the streets preying on foreigners. I dread to think what the outcome would have been had something similar happened to my wife or any woman less able to defend herself.

George Cherian

Sports editor (The Nation)

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-13

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is good that the Nation is printing this. This kind of thing has been going on for years. It would be surprising if these criminals did not have some sort of informal relationship with the local police.

I don't expect it will stop but it may disappear or relocate for a while.

It is good that the Nation is printing this. This kind of thing has been going on for years. It would be surprising if these criminals did not have some sort of informal relationship with the local police.

sounds like someones afraid of some media and public opposition, after having it cushy for so many years. It shows that the public are becoming a little less afraid, and are starting to fight back, that is why there is all this recent agro from the mafia click.

they were real policemen, one in uniform, with badges and guns.

why they didn't stop at the journalist's house to check his passport (foreigners are obliged to carry their pass at all time - or at least a cophy of it) is a little strange, probably they decided, that wallets/ring/mobiles would be an easier prise, than entering the house and leaving empty handed.

I had a friend who a police man tried to shake down hopping to find drugs (witch my friend did not have). As the scam started going bad the police man pulled his gun and pointed it at my friends head hoping this would cause him to show the drugs he thought he might have on him. Sad. They really need to thin the ranks I say get rid of half or more of the force. So many bad apples it has to be hard to even think were to start.

sounds like someones afraid of some media and public opposition, after having it cushy for so many years. It shows that the public are becoming a little less afraid, and are starting to fight back, that is why there is all this recent agro from the mafia click.

The biggest crime problem in Bangkok is the police. They commit most of it and fail to stop any of it. It's absolutely third world ridiculous!

Calling them monkeys is giving them too much credit. Some day these little peices of human waste will pick the wrong farang to mess with and they'll get what they deserve. Hopefully this incident shines a big spotlight on the issue. But the Thais don't really care what happens to a farang here. They dont even care that their own government steals them blind. Like I said - third world at best! If it weren't for the beautiful girls most in the west wouldn't even be able to find Thailand on a map let alone go there! I love my Thai wife and I actually love Thailand. I just can't stand how corrupt the people in power are and how little the Thai people care.

why they didn't stop at the journalist's house to check his passport (foreigners are obliged to carry their pass at all time - or at least a cophy of it) is a little strange, probably they decided, that wallets/ring/mobiles would be an easier prise, than entering the house and leaving empty handed.

I don't think you are required to carry ID in Thailand. You just must produce it in a timely manner if asked for it by the police.

Anyone can buy a BIB uniform in BKK just getting the size right, there are many shops that openly sell Police uniforms and accessories

I was threatened by the Tourist police before. A real tourist police officer forced me to go into a weird looking room, print all ten of my fingers on a document, took mugshots and was ready to throw me to jail if I obliged in signing the thai written confession. He refuses to explain anything in English to me claiming I can understand Thai perfectly because I speak some broken Thai?! He wants me to give him my ATM card so he can withdraw money to return this guy but I am not guilty! Luckily my friend's friend is a police officer from the phaholyothin branch - who did a physical visit to the 'crime of scene' whom this thai person claimed I stole "all" his gold - One Baht worth (about 14,000Baht at that time), yes - there was 1 baht of Gold in his room under his bed.

What will happen if the Thai person is lying about losing the gold?

My friend's friend - the police officer was a little unhappy and spoke to that tourist police in private for a while. He (not the tourist police) actually bought me supper that day :-/

I read later on Thaivisa that Tourist police do not actually have much rights - so I think this must had been a plan to get my atm card and clear me out.

Edited by SunDaRi

I don't think you are required to carry ID in Thailand. You just must produce it in a timely manner if asked for it by the police.

thai should carry their id and foreigners their passports - that's the law. "Timely manner" can be detention at the police station, untill identity can be checked - documents brought to the station or phone call/fax to the police station where you live. It all might take time and certainly is not plaesant

I had a friend who a police man tried to shake down hopping to find drugs (witch my friend did not have). As the scam started going bad the police man pulled his gun and pointed it at my friends head hoping this would cause him to show the drugs he thought he might have on him. Sad. They really need to thin the ranks I say get rid of half or more of the force. So many bad apples it has to be hard to even think were to start.

If the get rid of all the thugs do you really think anyone be left? In my opinion very very few.

I agree. Something is fishy here. Surely nobody would struggle against 3 police staring down the barrel of a "cocked gun."

Yup. I'm having a hard time with this. Struggle against 3 drunk men armed with guns, who are pointing them at your teenage son, and manage to safely escape from them while in a moving car

Reuters, CNN , BBC should pick up this story would be great for tourism :lol:

About 2 weeks ago on Thai t.v. (I do know the channel) my thai friend told me of an incident that happened in petchaburi area. Thai man and wife were stopped at a check point, police asked for a vast amount of money -the wife said no have, police took her to an atm and told her to withdraw a big amount or the husband would be in jail, the t.v. went to investigate, what happened I dont know, but must have been documented. amazing.

Nobody aint gonna do nothing about this. With governors , Mayors , Police Chiefs and other Scum joining the circus,not only in this country but all over Asia and South America, the best is to stay out of trouble.

If there was more justice and less taxes, oil substitutm, so we dont get ripped off by the oil barons to which club now all the other oil producing countries belong, it wouldn t be so bad. A policeman in Thailand makes little money to sometimnes they abuse their power to be able to afford something else than just fried rice.

Low profile , dont go walking around in dark areas at night. Stay of sex bars etc etc etc. Thailand is a great country to live in. Try Brooklynn , Frankfurt , Berlin , Amsterdam , London , Paris at night...mugged is the least.

thai should carry their id and foreigners their passports - that's the law. "Timely manner" can be detention at the police station, untill identity can be checked - documents brought to the station or phone call/fax to the police station where you live. It all might take time and certainly is not plaesant

I asked my local Immigration Office if I needed to carry ID and they said yes but that it need not be my passport. I was a little surprised when they said my drivers licence was sufficient.

You are required by law to carry your ID - a legitimate local driving license constitutes an accpetable ID. I use it all the time at banks and for domestic flights instead of a passpport. However, most foreigners are "advised" to carry a copy of their passports all the time. Who knows what's the law and what isn't - it's all about the situation and the timing of it I suppose...

If the "Google-Meter" is a fair measure, (and online news stories are perhaps only the tip of the iceberg), then it is easy to conclude that the Thai police seem to have a very good track record of targeting foreigners. In fact, I am thinking that the skill and enthusiasm of the Thai police in these matters could perhaps be utilized to spawn a new "thrill-seeker" style of "realism-tourism".. (I'm also thinking that HousePainter could write a fine piece of humour from this angle…)

The Statistics, from a Web-Centric point of view..

If you do a "focused" Google (key words in parenthesis) you get the following raw results.. (I used http://www.google.com.sg for this exercise in relatively uncensored news gathering..)

"Thai Police" + "Extortion" = 29,400 results (and a few fit the profile…)

"Thai Police" + "kidnap" + "foreigner" = 4,190 results (I thought it would have been more..)

"Thai police" + "Murder" + "foreigner" = 13,900 results (I hoped for a lower number..)

A few no-parenthesis Googles..

Thai police murder British Couple - -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Adam_Lloyd_and_Vanessa_Arscott

Thai police kill Canadian (193,00 results, this story stays, and stays on the blogosphere..)

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2008/07/19/canadians-protest-murder-by-thai-police-july-19-08/

Then there are other news stories, where the hidden story of the police crime against the foreigner is way more interesting than the public story..

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/04/14/headlines/headlines_30031870.php

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/thai-police-arrested-over-kidnapping/2007/04/14/1175971400598.html?s_cid=rss_smh

JD

This sounds more like an attempted robbery by people imitating Police offices.

I have been robbed and beaten by fake Police Officers in Soi 3. Was sitting down when I was approached by 2 Thai men shouting about ID and one grabbed for my wallet which was on the table. He tried to pull it out of my hand and I got it back and put in my pocket. Next thing I was on the floor getting my face kicked in.

it all happened very quickly and believed they where Police until I asked around and was told by venders they certainly where not but they probably know the Police.

It was a couple of years ago and I have still no feeling on that side of my face.

Imitating a Police Officer and committing robbery is a serious crime around the world but no here it seems.

Even carrying Police equipment should be illegal.

In my case they where plain clothed however.

The poor high season is creating a smaller pool of victims for the sharks to feed off, they are becoming more desperate going to greater lengths to feed their bank accounts. Tea money is getting harder to get, it harder to scam an organised tour group than individual tourists. The BKK BIB travel to Pattaya and shake down bars, the Pattaya BIB set up jetski scams and now it seem travelling to BKK to hunt money. It all stinks of desperation, soon, with a bit of luck, the sharks will be eating each other.

In fact everyone in Thailand is required to carry their ID, except Thais under 15 who don't have one. Foreigners are required to carry their passports or Alien Registration Certificates, if they are permanent residents, or alien ID cards, if they are stateless minorities.

So it just ends like that?

Did the author go to the police to report the incident? What happened at the police station, what was the reaction? What were the conclusions of the police?

Telling the whole story is the point of reporting, of journalism. Not just the sensational bits.

Always amuses me to see how farangs try to "understand" the letter of the

law here... no such thing....

You said "instead of turning into Suan Phlu and Immigration". When did this event take place? Immigration moved from Suan Phlu ages ago.

Actually all policing functions of Immigration, detention and interrogation are still based at Suan Phlu!

Actually there is a letter of the law and I on occasions have to inform many people when they find out about it. They are normally shocked!

You are, under Thai Law, required when challenged, to present original documentation proving your identity and right to stay in the country.

I regularly hear that some one has gotten things stolen from them or beat up by a Katoey or sidelined by corrupt police and when I inquire about the time and location, it is normally at 2-3 am on Soi Nana or an area of that ilk!

Normal behaviour in any country is not running around the streets of the local Red Light District early in the morning. In the world at large if this sort of "normal behavior" is practised you will get the same results.

BB

Edited by Badbanker