The Right Visa For Condo Purchase

My legal wife of over threes years is Thai and we have a Thai son of three months (my son with her). I am currently on a Non Immigrant Visa issued in Hull (ie the type where I don't have to prove funds but have to leave - not just 'check-in' every three months). Is this visa ok to allow me to buy a condo - developer assures me that there are no visa restrictions for condo purchase ... but ... I read somewhere on this forum that we must satisfy TWO points when going for the ownership deeds - the transfer of funds issue and be residing here under certain conditions.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

My legal wife of over threes years is Thai and we have a Thai son of three months (my son with her). I am currently on a Non Immigrant Visa issued in Hull (ie the type where I don't have to prove funds but have to leave - not just 'check-in' every three months). Is this visa ok to allow me to buy a condo - developer assures me that there are no visa restrictions for condo purchase ... but ... I read somewhere on this forum that we must satisfy TWO points when going for the ownership deeds - the transfer of funds issue and be residing here under certain conditions.

To just buy a condo? I bought a condo in Bangkok on just a 30 day entry stamp from the airport. You don't need a visa unless you want to stay longer after you've bought it. During the transfer you just have to have your passport that shows you are legallly in the country and your other paperwork, tor tor 3 ect. You don't have to 'reside' in Thailand either. Right after I finished the transfer at the land department I flew back to the US a week later. Reside means residency which is hard to get. If this was the case, they could not sell any condos.

There is another type of visa extension that you might be thinking of; that's a 3 million baht investor extension to a non-immigrant visa. If your condo is worth 3 million or more (or a combination of savings+real estate), you can get a one year extension which enables you to avoid the border hops every three months. There's a long thread in here somewhere concerning this topic.

You can always change your non imm Visa (90 days) to "Thai Wife" 1 year non imm Visa after or during purchase. Fact is you can purchase on any legal Visa with proof of funds originating from outside Thailand.

With Non Imm "B" and Work Permit I actually got financed years ago from National Housing Bank for my first property after showing a legal source of income in country. No need for transfer. This probably doesn't apply any longer.

>>With Non Imm "B" and Work Permit I actually got financed years ago from National Housing Bank for my first property after showing a legal source of income in country. No need for transfer. This probably doesn't apply any longer.

I assume it does; I just got a mortgage with Tanakarn Tanachart and they are saying the same thing; no need for TT3.

• 1 year later...
To just buy a condo? I bought a condo in Bangkok on just a 30 day entry stamp from the airport. You don't need a visa unless you want to stay longer after you've bought it. During the transfer you just have to have your passport that shows you are legallly in the country and your other paperwork, tor tor 3 ect. You don't have to 'reside' in Thailand either. Right after I finished the transfer at the land department I flew back to the US a week later. Reside means residency which is hard to get. If this was the case, they could not sell any condos.

The quoted section was written over a year ago.

A friend is here in Thailand and wants to buy a condo. He was admitted on the basis of a double entry 60 day tourist visa. During a discusson with an estate agent here he said there was some mention of his needing to go to Immigration to obtain a certificate of residency which I wouldn't think he could obtain without a NI visa.

Can he buy the condo given his current visa status or will he have to leave Thailand to obtain an NI visa?

-redwood

My wife and I are selling a condo that she purchasd herself several years ago. In speaking with the land department, there is no specific visa requirement to purchase a condo. The 30 day stamp you get entering the country will work fine. The only requirement the land department wants to see is a form from the bank, stating that the money to purchase was brought in from outside Thailand.

My wife and I are selling a condo that she purchasd herself several years ago. In speaking with the land department, there is no specific visa requirement to purchase a condo. The 30 day stamp you get entering the country will work fine. The only requirement the land department wants to see is a form from the bank, stating that the money to purchase was brought in from outside Thailand.

Thanks for your response.

-redwood

There is no visa requirements to buy a condo in Thailand.

I just bought one and my lawyer did all the paper work whilst I was in Australia.

There are a lot of other requirements though, like money transfers, majority Thai ownership in the development, etc etc.