Mobile Phone Quick Question...

lucy1

hi, im in the uk, and have an o2 contract, nokia phone, when i move to bangkok next year, will i be able to get a pay as you go sim card there, and use my phone in thailand. :o

thankyou.

You will be able to buy a PAYG sim card in Bangkok and use it in your mobile phone. You will have to make sure that the phone is "unlocked". If it isn't you local independant mobile phone shop will be able to do it for you for £5-£10.

When you buy a phone with a contract or PAYG the operator (O2 in your case) locks the phone to stop you using it with other operators (like Orange, Vodafone). It can be easily unlocked with the correct software codes which the mobile phone shop will have.

totster :D

O2's are quite popular in Thailand, so no worries to unlock it.

GPRS access is affordable as well on the prepaid packages, 100 BAht for 20 hours in the case of one2call (AIS)

I use an Ipaq 6365, which does the same as an O2, albeit a bit slower (only 200Mhz cpu) and a bit uglier/bulkier.

Major advantage over the o2 is wifi being built in.

with GPRS not being very fast, I can take advantage of any wifi hotspot to get really fast internet (compared to gprs anyway :o )

hi, im in the uk, and have an o2 contract, nokia phone, when i move to bangkok next year, will i be able to get a pay as you go sim card there, and use my phone in thailand. :o

thankyou.

You can get a PAYG SIM no problem.

Your o2 phone may be locked, although if you are on a contract (rather than PAYG) it is less likely. If it is locked you will get an 'invalid SIM' message. Just trot into any of the major phone outlet places (MBK, Pantip, Zeer Rangsit), most of the independent service places will unlock it for a nominal fee (B200 for mine).

Piece of cake :D

• 2 weeks later...