Serendipity In Thai Language

acoustic25

Since "serendipity" is associated with good fortune, I would add "โชคดี" to "บังเอิญ" = "บังเอิญโชคดี" (bang ern chok dee) Which means" an unexpected good fortune "

There is also a popular slang for this: "ถูกล็อตเตอรี่" (tuk lottery) = winning lottery.

And this same word can be use as sarcasm when you encountered a bad day,for example when you were issued a Traffic ticket you would say "ถูกล็อตเตอรี่" as to mocked yourself.:)

Since "serendipity" is associated with good fortune, I would add "โชคดี" to "บังเอิญ" = "บังเอิญโชคดี" (bang ern chok dee) Which means" an unexpected good fortune "

There is also a popular slang for this: "ถูกล็อตเตอรี่" (tuk lottery) = winning lottery.

And this same word can be use as sarcasm when you encountered a bad day,for example when you were issued a Traffic ticket you would say "ถูกล็อตเตอรี่" as to mocked yourself.:)

Serendipidy is a noun ; the faculty of making happy and unexpected discoveries by chance. Which my T/E says it, โชคในการพบสิ่งที่ต้องการโดยบังเอญ luck in discovering requirements by chance. Has it ignored faculty? which is a 'condition of being capable' in other words not a one-off occurance but a condition which is always present which is responsible, for the one-off occurance.

Q. How did you find this exceptionally suitable house? A.Oh it was just serendipity I suppose. or Oh we were just lucky I suppose. One says that this sort of luck exists and you benefitted from it the other that you were lucky, there is no difference is there?

โชคีบังเอิญ is just, เหตุบังเอิญ (happen+chance, N.American word.) Is that what you mean?

I suppose what I am saying inn SO0oo many words, is there are so many words, all meaning the same in English and Thai that why bother to take a weird word like this and try to make anything of it at all in the other language?

Having said that, thank you, because it is of value to me to get my head straight , as A51mas says ถูกล็อตเตอรี is probably the word you want.

I don't think if I used Serendipity I would use it in the ironic sense but ถูกล็อตเตอรี seems to me to be a good word to use ironically. :jap: