Import Fees

aljones15

Hi Folks,FedEx called me last week to tell me I had a package at Customs at the airport.

They wanted to know what was inside it. I had no idea I had a package coming, so I didn't know what was inside it. After a few e-mails with Fedex I got a list of the packages contents

Wii Board 80 USD

Slide Projector 100 USD

Shoes 250 USD

Lego Game 50 USD

Total 480 USD

After a few days I received a notice from customs stating that I owed them 7,980 baht in fees to import these items into Thailand. This a tax that's over 50% of the stated value of the items. Does anyone know what price I should be paying in import fees for a digital projector, a wii fit balance board, a pair of nice shoes, and a board game made by lego? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by aljones15

As the sender has put the value of the contents of the package on the receipt then there is very little you can do I think. Either pay up or send it back. I tell people to just put gift and a small price on anything and have had no trouble. Sorry :sorry:

I don't even know if there is an appeal option :o

As the sender has put the value of the contents of the package on the receipt then there is very little you can do I think. Either pay up or send it back. I tell people to just put gift and a small price on anything and have had no trouble. Sorry :sorry:

I don't even know if there is an appeal option :o

yeah, it was marked gift, but I checked the invoice from customs and they seem to have taken the 480 usd value and somehow slapped

a fee on it that's over half the value of the package. just unbelievable.... 7,980 baht for a christmas present...

-

A

Sounds like 30% Duty on (item value + shipping cost) and then the 7% VAT on top.

i agree, standard import fee for product is 30% of the value of the item including shipping cost, then 7% vat.

Standard. You might be able to make a trip down and speak to the customs officer in person and maybe negotiate something, if you have a Thai friend then it would be better to have him/her do this for you without you being there.

Good luck!!!