Young Farang Guys Starting Fights In Cm Boxing Stadium

Lancelot

Conventional wisdom here in Thailand says that if a foreigner has a dispute with a Thai, and it escalates into violence, every Thai in the area will immediately come to the aid of their fellow (Thai) country man.

Well, perhaps not…

This past Thursday I was catching up with an old friend and after a few beers in the bars on Loy Kroh road, we ventured into the Boxing Stadium (Correct name?) the beer bar complex further down Loy Kroh, with the Mike’s Hamburger stand located at the entrance.

My buddy and I sat at a table with a good view of the boxing ring, not that we were really interested in watching the fake fighting. We were catching up, laughing a lot and not really attuned to our surroundings when my buddy motioned towards the boxing ring. One of three young, twenty something, farang guys was at the ring motioning that he wanted to challenge one of the Thais to box. At first it seemed to be all in good fun, a prank if you will, and we began observing the group.

The farang guy takes off his shirt and pants and gets gloved up. He is maybe 6’2” and around 200 pounds, a big guy. His buddies are egging him on so he and another guy who is equally tall but slimmer go to the ring. Now they start talking trash with the Thais and become aggressive. The fighter to be walks back to his table but his pal pushes on of the Thai boxers hard and the Thai guy –caught off guard- reels backwards around 10 paces.

The Thai is (right fully) enraged and comes forward and gives the farang a kick, but the farang guy does not go down. Several other Thais rush forward… but to restrain their fellow Thai, not to gang up on the ill mannered farang!

The Thai boxer now points to the ring and no knowledge of thai language is required, his gestures convey “Get in the ring and we will settle this.” The farang guy walks back to his table and joins his buddies. They are whopping it up, obviously pleased with their antics.

My buddy and I look at each other with a “What the F*&$?” expression and shake our heads. We have both spent time here and pretty much subscribed to the convention wisdom of if a foreigner picks a fight with a Thai, the whole neighbor hood will jump in. Some times you don’t even have to start trouble, just dispute a bill or something and whamo. However, we had just personally witnessed over the top behavior by farangs and nothing but restraint on the part of the Thais. Amazing Thailand indeed.

I apologize that this post is becoming too long so I’ll spare you some innuendo and fast forward a bit.

Surprisingly the next match is two Thais, the same old fake muay Thai that tourists enjoy. A brief break –maybe so the farangs will check bin and leave?- then the farang is politely invited to enter the ring. They put up their smallest Thai boxer against him, some guy, looking 30+ maybe 5’2” and 120 pounds, what a mismatch!

The referee lays out the rule and the Thai boxer holds up his gloves in the pre fight good sportsmanship/shaking hands gesture. The farang idiot refuses to touch gloves and walks proudly to his corner. The bell rings and he comes charging out. The Thai guy is trying to avoid him, thinking that this idiot just want his photo taken and bragging rights back home, but no, the farang kid is serious. He lands some hard punches on the Thai guy and overpowers him. He grapples the Thai and even elbows the ref in the mouth before being pulled off.

The “match” is a couple of rounds and is stopped after the little Thai guy claims that the farang bit him. I’m not certain whether any one bit any one but the fight needed to be stopped any way. If this isn’t enough, his buddy jumps up ring side and begins aping the Thais, indicating that they are monkeys!

<deleted>, we figure its time to leave before the riot but there is still no aggression on the part of the Thais. An elderly Thai Auntie has had enough and she walks out with a cane, waving it at the foolish farangs and threating to give them a hiding.

My buddy and I are in disbelief. The looks on many Thai faces is one of outrage and it doesn’t look like an act, as in the vein of this was a concocted ruse to gain sympathy and yes, tips. I let my eyes drift over to the young farangs table and see the “fighter” relishing his adventure, his monkey aping pal still going strong but one guy did have some decency with in and was looking ashamed and being quiet.

Any way my buddy and I check bin and leave, walking to a bar closer to the entrance. We order and guess who comes in, yes its our three heroes from the boxing ring. No one bothers them and they have toned down their bad behavior… but they are still here.

I know the locals have long memories and the bamboo telegraph is very efficient. Those morons might yet get a lesson in manners, when they least expect it.

Sawasdee Khrup Khun Lancelot,

Don't doubt your report at all, and if what you saw was not "staged," you have indeed witnessed a remarkable cultural phenom for Thailand !

Never forget once in Bangkok getting out of a tuk-tuk, near the Holiday Inn on Silom, and seeing a German, arriving by tuk-tuk about the same time get in a fight with the driver, a skinny dark-skinned slender older guy (obviously from Issarn) over the fare, or whatever: the German guy looked about six-foot-two, and was quite muscular, perhaps twenty-five: at one point, the German guy raised his arm up with clenched fist, as if threatening to throw a punch: the small tuk-tuk driver immediately closed on him, and did one of those round-house swivelling knee kicks into the German guy's ribs: the German guy fell to the ground like a giant tree being felled. I'd guess two broken ribs, minimum.

But, getting back to the "Loy Kroh" arena: my understanding is that the shows are always faked except on the rare nights they advert "real Muay Thai" and charge a big admission fee. Although, my guess is the "fake" Muay Thai fighters are sometimes, "real ones," just making some spare change.

Consider this possibility: the farangs you saw were students at the Muay Thai camp that provides the "fakes," and the whole thing was staged exactly as the shenanigans are staged in so-called American pro-wrestling to involve blows to the referees, etc. And staged for the same reasons: to create drama that resulted in more donations or customers sticking around later. Yeah: probably a very weak hypothesis.

Not contradicting you at all, just postulating an alternate hypothesis.

best, ~o:37;

But, getting back to the "Loy Kroh" arena: my understanding is that the shows are always faked except on the rare nights they advert "real Muay Thai" and charge a big admission fee. Although, my guess is the "fake" Muay Thai fighters are sometimes, "real ones," just making some spare change.

Consider this possibility: the farangs you saw were students at the Muay Thai camp that provides the "fakes," and the whole thing was staged exactly as the shenanigans are staged in so-called American pro-wrestling to involve blows to the referees, etc. And staged for the same reasons: to create drama that resulted in more donations or customers sticking around later. Yeah: probably a very weak hypothesis.

Not contradicting you at all, just postulating an alternate hypothesis.

best, ~o:37;

No worries and I do not feel that you contradicted me :)

It is my understanding that the fights on Wednesdays and Saturdays are real contests. The rest of the time, yeah they are just faked entertainment.

Yes, maybe it was all staged, I really don't know. If it were a staged event, I give the organizers my compliments because they sucked me in too, Ha! If some guy was telling me this story; I would listen politely and then change the subject becasue I'd be totally skeptical.

But I witnessed it with my own eyes. Amazing Thailand :D

I was told by one of the bar owners, that there was a big meeting in the Entertainment Center earlier this week (Wed or Thurs I think) between the "Big Boss" and all the bar owners, etc. They were all told they had to tone it down. No loud music, especially after midnight and all bars must close by 1am. Its been noticeably more quiet the past couple of nights. Perhaps the "tone it down" speech from the Big Boss around the same time as this incident, played a part in the restraint shown?

In a semi-related note, a few months back I saw an extremely intoxicated large farang guy attempt to get in the ring with these guys as well. He wasn't being disrespectful, etc. However he put a little too much effort into the fight, which upset the other Thai boxers watching. They decided in warranted jumping in to ensure their compatriot won. It was 4 on 1 and they beat him until he was unconscious. Upon seeing the farang laying there totally beaten and defenseless, one of the announcer guys decided it was the perfect time for him to jump in the ring and deliver a few swift kicks to the head of the already unconscious farang.

-Mestizo

I wasn't there but I know of these guys. I have meet them a few times. They are well known clowns from Ireland professing in magic and card tricks amounst other things. I guess you could call them pranksters and according to them it was indeed a put on. His mates were even feeding him Gin and Tonics between rounds. The same show was on Friday night. LOL :lol:

I wasn't there but I know of these guys. I have meet them a few times. They are well known clowns from Ireland professing in magic and card tricks amounst other things. I guess you could call them pranksters and according to them it was indeed a put on. His mates were even feeding him Gin and Tonics between rounds. The same show was on Friday night. LOL :lol:

OK, interesting. You are right about the drinking, the "fighter" was knocking them back, but he still seemed ok, as in not stumbling. Come to think about it, his swings were slopy wide swings that a trained boxer could easily avoid. He also threw many body punches that were not going to do any real damage. And the fact that they put up their smallest Thai boxer against him of course drew immediate sympathy from the crowd. I did pick up a few traces of what I thought was a UK accent, so the Irish part checks out too.

Funny, back home I can spot fake "World Wrestling Entertainment" bouts in a heart beat but I think I was suckerd in to believeing it in real life here in Amazing Thailand, 555! I wonder if the farangs got a cut of the tips? (yeah right...)

I can believe the Loy Kroh fight reports; many guys are pretty tanked and ready to duke it out. I thought warrior types stayed in Pattaya...

Any way, the longer I stay here, the less I understand the place, LOL.

OK, interesting. You are right about the drinking, the "fighter" was knocking them back, but he still seemed ok, as in not stumbling. Come to think about it, his swings were slopy wide swings that a trained boxer could easily avoid. He also threw many body punches that were not going to do any real damage. And the fact that they put up their smallest Thai boxer against him of course drew immediate sympathy from the crowd. I did pick up a few traces of what I thought was a UK accent, so the Irish part checks out too.

Funny, back home I can spot fake "World Wrestling Entertainment" bouts in a heart beat but I think I was suckerd in to believeing it in real life here in Amazing Thailand, 555! I wonder if the farangs got a cut of the tips? (yeah right...)

I can believe the Loy Kroh fight reports; many guys are pretty tanked and ready to duke it out. I thought warrior types stayed in Pattaya...

Nothing hard to understand about Loi Kroh . Get drunk buy a girl and have fun. On the other side of the fence it is what is the best way to seperate this foolish Farong from his money.B)

Nothing hard to understand about Loi Kroh . Get drunk buy a girl and have fun. On the other side of the fence it is what is the best way to seperate this foolish Farong from his money.B)

Sounds like they found another. Amazing Thailand or should the truth br known it is :burp:Amazing Loi Kroh.:D:cheesy:

Most of the 'girls' around the boxing ring are guys wearing frocks.

So technically you should have said

"Get drunk, buy a guy a drink, and have fun"

Edited by pjclark1

I manage to have fun along Loi Kroh without buying anyone.

Also keep in mind that there are many, MANY different pubs and restaurants along that road (which stretches all the way to the river). So especially JDinasia and Paagai's posts made no sense whatsoever. ("Perhaps yet another reason to avoid Loi Kroh")

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Also keep in mind that there are many, MANY different pubs and restaurants along that road (which stretches all the way to the river). So especially JDinasia and Paagai's posts made no sense whatsoever. ("Perhaps yet another reason to avoid Loi Kroh")

I am very happy for you. I will continue to avoid Loi Kroh. I had my annual obligatory evening there for the TVF party (Thanks George) and that's enough. So especially Winnie's coments made no sense whatsoever since my remark was based upon my opinion/feelings and not his :)

I guess that means I won't run into you. :thumbsup:

This being a public forum I am very conscious of that fact that a good deal more people read the forum compared to those who actually post actively. Many people also use the forum when planning their travels when holidaying in the North. So I think it's important to paint an accurate picture, namely that you have everything from traditional British pubs, French and Germin cuisine, coffee shops, great Thai food, down to excellent live music at Guitarman and ending with a dose of reggae/backpacker vibe all the way at the end.

That's not merely opinion, that's trying to be accurate. Painting that whole road as being somehow dodgy is exceptionally silly. Doesn't mean you have to enjoy that boxing ring area; I don't care for it much either, it's a bit too upmarket for me. (especially on boxing nights when they want silly money).

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

One time we had a nice Farang / Thai flight at the boxing stadium in Patong !

At that time the French navy was in town and therefore many French people walking around, So also in the boxing stadium.

As always the Thais did their fake boxing show and asked if there were Farang volunteers.

One French guy raised his hand and under load applause from his buddy’s he went into the ring.

Off-course we expected the normal show but this was different.

The French guy showed the Thai every corner of the ring and totally overpowered the Thai boxer and the fight had to be stopped after the first round so the Thai didn’t lose to much face and teeth I think, and as expected it was declared a draw.

Later I found out that the French guy was French champignon That Kickboxing. :D

So don’t assume that the Farang are always worthless in Thai boxing.

I guess that means I won't run into you. :thumbsup:

This being a public forum I am very conscious of that fact that a good deal more people read the forum compared to those who actually post actively. Many people also use the forum when planning their travels when holidaying in the North. So I think it's important to paint an accurate picture, namely that you have everything from traditional British pubs, French and Germin cuisine, coffee shops, great Thai food, down to excellent live music at Guitarman and ending with a dose of reggae/backpacker vibe all the way at the end.

That's not merely opinion, that's trying to be accurate. Painting that whole road as being somehow dodgy is exceptionally silly. Doesn't mean you have to enjoy that boxing ring area; I don't care for it much either, it's a bit too upmarket for me. (especially on boxing nights when they want silly money).

:) Its an opinion :)

It's OK to have one, just like I have one ....

I don't like Loi Kroh, I don't care for the scene along any of it. I don't like lower Sukhumvit in BKK either (for many of the same reasons), so what? It isn't an indictment its an opinion :) (Lower Suk has many fine restaurants pubs etc ... and generally I find the scene along the road dismal, just the same way that I find the scene along Loi Kroh.)

In your vibrant description of Loi Kroh you seem to have skipped over what it is best known for (since you say that you are doing this description for people holidaying in the North.)

So if it is all the same to you ... I stand by my original post that somehow you think is wrong .... "perhaps another reason to avoid Loi Kroh" after all it is my opinion :)... and as for your astute observation that it means you will be unlikely to run into me there ....:thumbsup:

I'll continue to do my thing ... hang out with locals .. avoid the touristy areas ... and you should do your thing even if it includes places/areas that I don't like.

See, that;'s how it should be ... and to try and foist your opinion off on someone else is, to quote another poster, "exceptionally silly."

Edited by jdinasia

yeah Loy Kroh may have "MANY different pubs and restaurants" but they are full of Farangs. Chiang Mai has so many local places that are way more fun where the tourists don't go. And if you want to see a fight amongst Thai's where the furniture is used as a substitute for boxing gloves they ain't hard to find either :whistling:

Now I think of it, these days the only time I ever visit Loy Kroh is to go to Marina bar or Guitar Man - what more can I say?

Edited by Paagai

I'm not disputing that there are many tourist/expat oriented venues there. And I do very much enjoy places off the tourist map.

So I guess it's the same for me; these days the only time I ever visit Loy Kroh is to go to Dragon Fly. Or Carnival. Or BBBB. Or Cherry Bar. Or Easy Corner. Or Marin Bar. Or Juicy Bar. Or Number 1 bar. Or the combined Fish Spa & Bar that I don't remember the name of. And the new fancy-ish looking bar with red walls close to CMEP. (Yes I'm now realizing that the further up Loi Kroh I get, the less likely I am to remember the names of bars. ;) ) Or Guitarman. Or Del Sol.

Anyway, on those rare occasions that I go there I don't see much trouble. It's been a couple years since I last saw trouble there, I'd say not dissimilar to nighlife areas elsewhere in the world, or indeed also not dissimilar to trouble you might (rarely) find in non-tourist places when you get deep enough into the night and enough alcohol has been consumed.

Who can deny that quite a few tourists come to Thailand and Loi Kroh for its sleazy side? That street in Hamburg, Reeperbahn, was until recently virtually all on the wild side, call it. Nothing new about it and I, for one, have a favorite restaurant on Loi Kroh, a pub too on occasion, because its businesses are many and varied. So I go. The bar scene is sad for some of us to see, but so are many other things - I give you civilian deaths in stupid wars.

Have to admit that acculturated expats find more fun in mixing with local citizens in parts of town with fewer Westerners. Why not?

But whatever happened to different strokes for different folks? The street offers a variety of positive pleasures for a variety of interpretations. Admittedly, it is low in classical music offerings, but you cannot have everything all the time in the same place.:D

Loi Kroh seems pretty tame - there are many places that would be completely suitable for families on the street as well as bars for patrons interested in meeting working girls

After 2am the street does become a haven for Lady Boys and they can be quite aggressive but it seems as long as you are polite and firm they will let you pass

There really isnt a whole lot of reasons to be walking down the street after 2am but occasionally it happens

I agree with PlanetX - its pretty tame. I have had friends visit who have spent time in Pattaya, Phukey and Bangkok and expect to find the same sort of nightlife - its here, but a lot tamer versions of it - anything else is a lot harder to find. I had a friend who went to Spotlight Gogo Bar expecting it to be like goigo bars he had been to elsewhere and was very disappointed by the fact the girls keep their bikinis on (and bikini bottoms like nappies!). Poinbt is there are a lot better sleezy places to go to if that's your ilk.

Sure at the town end and at the entertainment bit with the ring, Bar 1 etc, there are a fair amount of bar goirls - also in Foxylady and later in Sparkies, but I could see redlight entertainment in Europe if that was what I was here for.

The only row I have ever seen taking place in Loi Kroh was between a few Thais - a guy had come to collect his run-away wife who had hooked up with a farang for the holiday season - a women 9her sister as it turned out) had encouraged her for the money to be had, but hubby was less than happy at the arrangement - there were some threats and a couiple of BiB's turned up - all sorted without blood (but a few tears!). Plenty of drunks, but never seen any fist fights.

In London there would be fights outside some pubs almost every night - near clubs there are always a fight going on after closing. Here, it seems to happen far less as far as I have seen.