Inexpensive And Good Indian Food On Third Rd

AbeSurd

I've been twice to this 199 baht buffet. I think they change the food each day. It's not a big choice of food but most of it's very good (to my UK palette). 'Spices' is like a large canteen (enough tables to seat hundreds of people). I think they cater to busloads of Indian tourists, although when I've been there, there were only a few people in the place. It's bright, clean and new and the walls are lined with Indian movie posters. It's not the place for a romantic dinner - but if you like your Indian food at a good price I think it's well worth trying.

Tonight the buffet was:

MAIN DISHES - all good

Chicken curry

Mushroom & Indian cheese curry

Aloo Gobi

Dahl - too salty

Sweetcorn soup - looked like the typical sort of soup you get in Thailand, I didn't try it.

Rice, nan bread, spicy poppadoms, and plain yogurt.

One dessert: sweet rice with sultanas.

There is also a regular menu but I haven't looked at that.

Opening hours: 1pm-4pm and 7:30pm-10:30pm.

Location: 'Spices' is at the base of the north-face of TW Pattaya Klang Condo tower block on Third Road. I believe it's 'TW Pattaya Klang Condo' although at the top of the condo (on the south-face) the tower block announces itself as 'PKCP Condominium'.

'TW Pattaya Klang Condo' or 'PKCP Condominium' (whatever it's called) is on the east side of Third Road, about a quarter of a mile north of the Pattaya Klang/Third Road crossroads. If you know the soi that leads to the back of Carrefour, it's about 100 yards north of that, on the same side of Third Road.

What strange hours! I went there some time about noon once, and they said they were just about to open. I'd like to try it some time.

i would agree, better to open at 1130, as they miss the lunch time trade..... but sounds a good deal to me

did they not have any onion baja's and that really nice indian salad the indians serve? also you mention ' Chicken Curry ' , what curry was it >? IE korma,

Both times I went there was a bit of salad: sliced tomato, cucumber and raw onion was about it.

Onion bhajis? I haven't seen those yet - but as I say they seem to change the main dishes each day, or perhaps each sitting.

The chicken curry wasn't as creamy as a korma, but just about as mild. Lumps of chicken on the bone. Very good.

They top up the serving dishes all the time, so the food always seems fresh.

And it's great to have as many poppadoms and nan breads as you want.

did they not have any onion baja's and that really nice indian salad the indians serve? also you mention ' Chicken Curry ' , what curry was it >? IE korma,

Both times I went there was a bit of salad: sliced tomato, cucumber and raw onion was about it.

Onion bhajis? I haven't seen those yet - but as I say they seem to change the main dishes each day, or perhaps each sitting.

The chicken curry wasn't as creamy as a korma, but just about as mild. Lumps of chicken on the bone. Very good.

They top up the serving dishes all the time, so the food always seems fresh.

And it's great to have as many poppadoms and nan breads as you want.

Sorry to be a pain but can you get a beer there. In Pattaya tomorow for a few day's will give it a try if I can get a beer "Thai will do" with it.

A very similar Indian buffet deal at the Beverly Plaza Hotel, also lunch and dinner, 200 baht. There is another one off Naklua Road, sorry I don't know the name, but I had a look and it didn't look as good at the Beverly, also 200 baht. For these 200 baht deals in town, you won't be offered any tandoori meats.

Edited by Jingthing

What strange hours! I went there some time about noon once, and they said they were just about to open. I'd like to try it some time.

I did the same and simply went somewhere else, they should in my mind open earlier.

A very similar Indian buffet deal at the Beverly Plaza Hotel, also lunch and dinner, 200 baht. There is another one off Naklua Road, sorry I don't know the name, but I had a look and it didn't look as good at the Beverly, also 200 baht. For these 200 baht deals in town, you won't be offered any tandoori meats.

For 200bt dont expect tandoori Just one curry + a few bit's bread, cheap as chip's. It's not gourmet food or price's. Last curry I had in BKK was great but well over 1000bt each.

awesome folks

thanks

how about similar middle eastern / Mediterranean ???

i think i ran a thread and asked before

but doesn't hurt to ask again

:jap:

There is no Middle eastern buffet in town that I know of. Reminds me of fantastic Iranian food buffets I used to go to in the US. Good idea here!

Sorry to be a pain but can you get a beer there. In Pattaya tomorow for a few day's will give it a try if I can get a beer "Thai will do" with it.

Yes. I didn't have a beer myself but, as I say, they have a regular menu too. There were beers on that. They even have Kingfisher Indian beer - although I think it's 100 baht.

Yes. I didn't have a beer myself but, as I say, they have a regular menu too. There were beers on that. They even have Kingfisher Indian beer - although I think it's 100 baht.

Kingfisher A I know it's not great but would make a change from Leo or Tiger they charge 90bt for a Leo in walking street so 100bt not that pricy. Had a trip to Phuket a few month's ago now that place is expensive.

Wow great info.

Thanks to the OP for bringing up the subject.

I've been here three years and wasn't aware of any of these places.

With a little more research I have also found Kohinoor just past the Beverly plaza on the other side of the road and the one in Naklua i think is called Mumbai opposite Star dice.

Haven't tried these two yet but have tried Spices2 and the Beverly plaza.

Both good and great value, probably of the two I would favor the Beverly, the ambiance is better, Spices2 is huge, probably seats 600 and is just one big room.

I liked the main (for me) Chicken dish better in the Beverly although the side dishes where probably better in spices. (based on only 1 visit to each)

With both probably best to get there early 7.30 as both had busses turning up after 8pm.

All this is great news for me as I used to eat a couple of times a week at the Indian in Carrefour, long departed now.

Now I have lots of places for a cheap Indian fix.

Will try the other 2 places in the next week or two and report back.

Edited by kevkev1888

Went to 'Spices' this evening, arriving about 9:15pm.

Not many customers, and the 199 baht buffet food was as good as ever.

Unfortunately it was also very noisy.

Indian pop music on the sound system while the TV sets were turned up and broadcasting wrestling at the same time. All of it echoing round the large, empty canteen.

I ate quickly and left as soon as I could.

I'll go back soon, but maybe at a different time of day.

I will try this place tomorrow :jap:

An provide an honest review :)

Had lunch here today.

Got there around 12:45pm and they said wait 15 minutes.

Returned at 1:15 pm and they had some food out and sat down.

This place is huge and like a large cafeteria.

Very welcoming wall posters like Sanjay Gupta Weissmuller to help you remember your childhood.

Food is abundant and for the price good ? - selection is not great.

The free water is horrible warm machined filtered tap water.

By 1:30 all the trays are full and I have the place to myself - grab some food.

10 minutes later the first bus arrives and it's a mad dash for the food line - all the roti breads and chicken pieces are snatched up and gone.

A series of strange burps , body odor , farts and slurping sounds have me move to a less crowed section of the food hall.

Next bus arrives , a tour of Southern Indians who attack the food sans any tableware as is their custom - the chicken curry tray gets topped up.

I grab some lame warm rice pudding desert they have out.

For 199 baht a cultural experience not worth missing.

post-41573-0-77855100-1296058091_thumb.j

post-41573-0-38743700-1296058106_thumb.j

post-41573-0-91005900-1296058118_thumb.j

post-41573-0-87858400-1296058134_thumb.j

Went there last Thursday 8/15pm couple of staff lolling outside. Not a sole inside I thought for one min: it was closed, went in, loud music, dead at'mosphere. A couple of peep's looked at me, I think, as they were over two hundred MT away. Started to walk to the service area, thought better of it and left. So cant report on the food, but might give it a try another time, that's if I ever think of having a meal on my own, in a place that's the size of a football pitch.

From these reports this place sounds (and looks) absolutely terrible. The Fawlty Towers of Indian restaurants. Balti Towers, perhaps?

I think a little unfair.

Granted not the place to go for an intimate dinner or special occasion,

It is there to cater to the Indian tour groups, it is what it is, chances are you will either be eating alone or with bus loads of Indians.

However while the selection of food is not vast, the basics are there and IMHO the food is for the price very good.

Order off the menu in any other Indian restaurant and see what you get for 199 Baht.

Yes I may go out for a special meal occasionally and spend 500-1000 Baht,

But I eat out just about every day and a 199 Baht Indian with 4 or 5 dishes rice and bread is just fine for me.

BTW I have also now tried the Kohinoor basically the same but not as good and 219 Baht I will not return

Could not find the one in Naklua?

I will return to both Spices2 and Bevery Plaza no doubt many times.

However while the selection of food is not vast, the basics are there and IMHO the food is for the price very good.

Order off the menu in any other Indian restaurant and see what you get for 199 Baht.

That's true enough and puts it in a better light. Why is Indian food expensive here anyway?

Granted not the place to go for an intimate dinner or special occasion,

It is there to cater to the Indian tour groups, it is what it is, chances are you will either be eating alone or with bus loads of Indians.

... I eat out just about every day and a 199 Baht Indian with 4 or 5 dishes rice and bread is just fine for me.

Exactly!

There is another smaller one in the mall that contains the Kiss restaurant at the corner of 2nd and North Pattaya road. Also 200 baht. I had a look one time and it looked noticeably not as good as the Beverly Plaza, so I didn't bother with it.

There are actually *2* Indian restaurants in there now.

I guess the first one was so successful (I've seen maybe 4 customers in as many years), it was clear the location needed another Indian restaurant.

There is another smaller one in the mall that contains the Kiss restaurant at the corner of 2nd and North Pattaya road. Also 200 baht. I had a look one time and it looked noticeably not as good as the Beverly Plaza, so I didn't bother with it.

There are actually *2* Indian restaurants in there now.

I guess the first one was so successful (I've seen maybe 4 customers in as many years), it was clear the location needed another Indian restaurant.

Does the second one have a 200 baht BUFFET?