Filthy Food Markets In Bangkok

george

FOOD SAFETY: Markets fail test

BANGKOK: -- Only 40 Bangkok markets have been deemed eligible to receive the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s “food safety” signs following recent tests, while 113 other markets have been told they needed to improve if they are to pass the next inspection.

In an effort to turn Bangkok into a “food safety city”, the BMA’s Health Department has been inspecting fresh markets, supermarkets, restaurants and roadside food stalls across the city to test for food quality, food safety and hygiene in food preparation.

--The Nation 2005-08-30

FOOD SAFETY: Markets fail test

BANGKOK: -- Only 40 Bangkok markets have been deemed eligible to receive the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s “food safety” signs following recent tests, while 113 other markets have been told they needed to improve if they are to pass the next inspection.

In an effort to turn Bangkok into a “food safety city”, the BMA’s Health Department has been inspecting fresh markets, supermarkets, restaurants and roadside food stalls across the city to test for food quality, food safety and hygiene in food preparation.

I'm the kind of guy that wears hardly any warm clothes when it's cold and snowy. I hardly ever get sick. As well I eat all kinds of Sh*t.. I shove down my mouth anything eatable. So far never got sick eating out of the Bangkok Markets..........DJM

ok,ok... what about Mc Donalds? Its probably the only place with some sort of internationally recognisable food standard in the entire town :o

Ahhh yes the Thai food markets. I remember having the worst diarreah and fever ever in my life after consuming a bowl of innocuous looking beef noodles one night. I thought I might need a trip to the hospital but after a week of bedrest I managed to recoup.

I am afraid the city has a long way to go before food can be considered "safe." A little watchfulness and care by people who live here helps keep one healthy, but the unsuspecting and low-immunity of many tourists can cause a holiday to turn into a hospital stay.

Bangkok is not the only city in the world that can have food problems. It is not perfect, I have an "iron gut" but managed to get 2 doses of the trots in BKK in the last few weeks :D , not Issan only BKK.

In the last month 2 members of staff in the place I work have ended up in hospital with food related complaints, they ate in major franchise fast food outlets in Perth Au.

Perth health authorities are paranoid about food, we cannot get and roadside vendors of any sorts. It helps maintain the nickname "Dullsville" for Perth. :o

It can happen anywhere.

CP

All I say is "cold chain".To keep food at the right temperatures, always should be the first task to be solved.If I see food delivered in trucks with no cooling, especially meat to restaurants they won´t see me for sure.It´s the same with the meat at the market of my wifes hometown, like anywhere in Asia, no refridgeration for meat.Back home no one would buy it;for Asia I prefer to eat hot asian dishes.But I´ll never eat a medium steak in Bangkok again,stupid beginner fault of mine.

I don't have them in front of me, but the numbers on food poisining related stuff in the States is really, really high. There are a LOT of problems besides the obvious ones like diahhrea. It is likely that a number of much more serious problems are food safety related, too. We will see as more research comes in....

Anyway, BKK is a helluva lot safer than

Unfortunately, what is required is education, safety standards, and enforcement. 2 out of those three are realtively unlikely to happen ...

I generally only eat what I see prepared for me, and I try to limit THAT to stir fry ... I also try to get it prohibitively spicy for most people (even some Thais) because the peppers really help keep your stomach healthy. Garlic helps a heck of a lot, too.