I Hit A Cow...

snowflake

Last night driving my mate back from the local disco I managed to drive over a COW...

It was laying in the road, it was raining and it was dark brown - I think it was dead the first time I ran over it but it was surely dead when I came back to inspect the damage...

The owner of the cow was standing on the side of the road, not very happy when the drunk white people came to collect the license plate that fell off and was stuck in the cow...

BUT

according to all the Thais, he should have paid me to fix the Vigo... He was in the wrong...

Said that, he gave me the plate and tried to send me away before the big tow truck came to life the cow away...

I have yet to really kill any animal in Thailand while driving a car... This was a first for me...

I don't really know what happened last night because I did not intend to drink- but lucky I went home and changed from my motorbike to my Vigo...

Damage to the VIGO...

Front bumper is broken, blood and shit all over the bonnet...

Going to claim it later today to get it fixed this week...

Lesson learned- DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE (even if it ends well most of the time)...

My Thai mates are trying to find the owner of the cow... I think it is a mate of my mate- he owns alot of cows around that area...

Not trying to make excuses, but there should be a stricter enforcement of getting cows out of the road after dark- what if I was on a bike? How many other Thai kids could have gotten killed?

Very dangerous!!!

There should be stricter enforcement indeed and Thai do die because of stuff like this

To protect yourself, perhaps you should stroll down to the police station and report exactly what happened including that the guy gave you the number plate and hushed you away. You have no idea who it is... Leaving out the thing about being drunk and poiting out that you are aware of that you can get compensation and don't want any would be good. And your police report won't lead anywhere unless you want it to (which you don't). Better not go after the owner if you want to comtinue to live a happy life in the neighbourhood

I very nearly hit a cow on a motorcycle outside Buriram in 2000, very dangerous

Holy cow.

No need to start a beef with the owner, not his fault the cow died on the road, its udder nonsense that you should pay the cow owner.

But you were lucky it was not a scam, put dead cow on road and wait for farang to hit it and milk him for several thousand.

My Thai mates are trying to find the owner of the cow... I think it is a mate of my mate- he owns alot of cows around that area...

Not trying to make excuses, but there should be a stricter enforcement of getting cows out of the road after dark- what if I was on a bike? How many other Thai kids could have gotten killed?

Very dangerous!!!

Yes along with a stronger enforcement on drunks like you out driving,

It's not a question of what the law says. If the owner had been poor, then quite a few of my Thai friends would have considered giving a bit to help out, not paying mind you, giving a bit. I would have done the same

Fewer westerners than Thais would consider this it seems, I wonder why

I once ran over a dog at 170Km/hr. it just came over the greenery road divider, no chance of brake, I went straight through, it wrecked the sedan , Radiator, spoiler, bumber, even bent the aircon gas chamber, mangled number plate, and a seriously dead dog. can had to be towed, cost the insurance co 50 large ones.

If it had been a cow ......... ,

hehe, was waiting for the whole, drink driving item...

I do seriously not understand why I went on the booze yesterday,and I do hate myself for it...

Now, I do know that cows have the right of way in daytime, but after dark they have to be off the road- not legal to leave them on the road.

The police down here in the south are out quite often to look for drunk drivers- and I was lucky to not get stopped yesterday (can not bribe your way out of that one)...

I do not want to give him any money, yes I will claim from my insurance, my friends (who happens to be Thai wants me to go and get the cow and get compensation from the owner).

I am not proud of what I did yesterday, but it did happen...

I am though amazed that the Vigo did not suffer more damages, just some broken plastics....

Cows have the wright of way in Thailand, regardless. Lucky the owner did not ask for 25,000 baht for the ground round.:whistling:

What utter bullshlt! (Pun intended). Cattle DO NOT have "Right of Way" on Thai roads. The hours vary between provinces, here in Udon cattle can be herded on the roads between 6:00AM to 8:00AM and 4:00PM to 6:00PM heading to and returning from pasture and must be attended to whilst doing so. The owner is liable if an unattended animal is hit.

Now in the OP's situation there must be some sort share of blame, he should not have been on the road either!

Cows have the wright of way in Thailand, regardless. Lucky the owner did not ask for 25,000 baht for the ground round.:whistling:

What utter bullshlt! (Pun intended). Cattle DO NOT have "Right of Way" on Thai roads. The hours vary between provinces, here in Udon cattle can be herded on the roads between 6:00AM to 8:00AM and 4:00PM to 6:00PM heading to and returning from pasture and must be attended to whilst doing so. The owner is liable if an unattended animal is hit.

Now in the OP's situation there must be some sort share of blame, he should not have been on the road either!

I agree and I hate myself for being there, like I said, I do not know what happened yesterday... It just started so quickly...

I don't want any compensation from the cow owner- I have insurance and I will use that...

I am not blaming because the OP has already accepted wrongdoing, won't do it again and I accept that

Another perspective that I think non-Thai nationals should consider is:

According to Thai law, not only the police can press criminal charges, private individuals can also do it and the police actually have no right to stop the case from going to the district attorneys' office. It is possible that a cow being hit would not reach court but a person or a child being hurt certainly would. Thai's don't normally play court games with each other because it's not worth it but it has happened. When a person gets injured, criminal charges are not stopped but go to court, full stop

So what's the risk? Well, for Thai citizens it's very little because criminal charges don't have to lead to jail at all in Thailand. Could be a 500 or 2,000 bath penalty and that's it

For a westerner or anyone on a visa or extension of a visa, it does not matter if the final ruling is 500 or 2,000 bath or jail. The law is very clear and the law allows no option out, the persons' permission of stay is cancelled, visa and extension of visa is cancelled, work permit if exist is cancelled as it cannot exist without a valid visa or extension and the person has to leave the country. The same guy can easily come back again of course, there is no law stopping that, but he's out and in and has to redo retirement visas, non-B and work permit or whatever visa he had

Had it been me or my daughter hit, then I would take pleasure in getting the drunk farangs visa and work permit, retirement visa, marriage visa, whatever cancelled. I make more money than I need so a money offer would, if possible, only make me more determined

Now you know what you can do, what would you do?

Edited by MikeyIdea

I am not blaming because the OP has already accepted wrongdoing, won't do it again and I accept that

According to Thai law, not only the police can press criminal charges, private individuals can also do it and the police actually have no right to stop the case from going to the district attorneys' office. It is possible that a cow being hit would not reach court but a person or a child being hurt certainly would. Thai's don't normally play court games with each other because it's not worth it but it has happened. When a person gets injured, criminal charges are not stopped but go to court, full stop

So what's the risk? Well, for Thai citizens it's very little because criminal charges don't have to lead to jail at all in Thailand. Could be a 500 or 2,000 bath penalty and that's it

For a westerner or anyone on a visa or extension of a visa, it does not matter if the final ruling is 500 or 2,000 bath or jail. The law is very clear and the law allows no option out, the persons' permission of stay is cancelled, visa and extension of visa is cancelled, work permit if exist is cancelled as it cannot exist without a valid visa or extension and the person has to leave the country. The same guy can easily come back again of course, there is no law stopping that, but he's out and in and has to redo retirement visas, non-B and work permit or whatever visa he had

Had it been me or my daughter hit, then I would take pleasure in getting the drunk farangs visa and work permit, retirement visa, marriage visa, whatever cancelled. I make more money than I need so a money offer would, if possible, only make me more determined

I know what I will be doing!!, stop reading your long winded posts.

Jeez do some people like the sound of their own prose!

I know what I will be doing!!, stop reading your long winded posts.

Jeez do some people like the sound of their own prose!

Thanks for that opinion. I understand it as you would not do anything if you or your daughter had been hit by a drunk driver

I haven't changed my mind, I would still use my right according to Thai law and force the issue in criminal court, out and in again, redo visa and work permit if you have

What would you do?

More opinions please

And for those who didn't understand: I value my daughters and my health more than any money can buy, hence the unconditional stand point

Edited by MikeyIdea

My brother was killed by a drunk driver.

Continue the jokes please......

A close friend of mine got hit by a drunk driver back in 82, he is still limited in what he can do, walking more than 200 meters, standing for more than 10 minutes. 28 years later

Life has moved on, he's got 2 kids now but he can't teach them to play football and he can't teach them to ride a bicycle, can't ride a bicycle at all actually

Nawtier, scroll up to my too long post above and read what you easily can do if you want, if a drunk driving westerner hits you or someone you know