I Hit A Cow...

snowflake

Sure, keep telling me off for drinking and driving that night- like noone else has done it here in Thailand...

Now, if we did have taxis here in NST, that would have been the mode of transportation... but we don't have them...

As stated, I do not know what happened (the heavy drinking and I do not condone it).

The cow was in a place it should not be, on the road at night in the wet!!!

This KWAI has a license, in several countries...

Neverdie- Yes I prefer to hit bicycles and old me, sure sure sure-

I have no clue why but the accidents with this VIGO is just getting uglier and uglier... The more reason for me to not drive it - motorbikes, that is the way to go...

According to Thai law, not only the police can press criminal charges, private individuals can also do it and the police actually have no right to stop the case from going to the district attorneys' office. It is possible that a cow being hit would not reach court but a person or a child being hurt certainly would. Thai's don't normally play court games with each other because it's not worth it but it has happened. When a person gets injured, criminal charges are not stopped but go to court, full stop

That my friend is a sword that cuts both ways. Not in any way trying to excuse drunk driving BUT

Does the owner of the cow not have a responsibility to insure it does not wander out onto a public roadway? Might be the farmer getting sued. Of course getting paid would be a different matter.

It is my understanding that there are certain times of the day when the farmers are allowed to bring their livestock to the fields for grazing- at those times the cows have the right of way, outside those times, the cars have the right of way...

Why else would the farmer that owned the cow just hand me the plate? They knew that they had some responsibility as they handed me the plate and told me to leave...

It is my understanding that there are certain times of the day when the farmers are allowed to bring their livestock to the fields for grazing- at those times the cows have the right of way, outside those times, the cars have the right of way...

Why else would the farmer that owned the cow just hand me the plate? They knew that they had some responsibility as they handed me the plate and told me to leave...

Your lucky you were not breathalyzed.. i really don't like drunk drivers. Its a good thing it wasn't a human you hit. You would be in a world of trouble. Drunk on a bike is a little less bad but still... just get someone to drive you or don't drink.

Yes Thais do it.. don't like it when they do it either. I have never ever in my life drank alcohol and drive a car or motorbike.

Your lucky you were not breathalysed.. i really don't like drunk drivers. Its a good thing it wasn't a human you hit. You would be in a world of trouble. Drunk on a bike is a little less bad but still... just get someone to drive you or don't drink.

Yes Thais do it.. don't like it when they do it either. I have never ever in my life drank alcohol and drive a car or motorbike.

You '' could ' be in for a Knight Hood with that statement, Sir Rob. :D

You '' could ' be in for a Knight Hood with that statement, Sir Rob. :D

I just don't like people to drink and drive. Friends of mine got killed by a drunk driver. A car is a dangerous thing if the driver is drunk.

Just think its really crazy to drive and drink (or do drugs). If you want to drink or use drugs be my guest just don't drive a car. Its just that its not your own life that you risk but you risk the life of others.

Now it was just a cow (that might also be dead if he was sober but we will never know)

I think it is fair to say that I would have hit that cow even if I was sober... And if I was sober I would probably have driven faster than what I was doing so then I might have flipped my car over or gotten into the other lane and hit some motorbikes or something...

Could have- didn't...

I don't like drinking and driving- but down here in the bush (rural) Thailand where there are no taxis and the motorbike taxis are more drunk than I was, how should people travel?

The police doesn't care, Thais do not care, the owner of the cow got away lucky according to my Thai friends who complain alot about the fact I did not claim the cow!!!

Anyways, it is over now... so what is next to hit??? Hopefully air and air alone!!!

According to Thai law, not only the police can press criminal charges, private individuals can also do it and the police actually have no right to stop the case from going to the district attorneys' office. It is possible that a cow being hit would not reach court but a person or a child being hurt certainly would. Thai's don't normally play court games with each other because it's not worth it but it has happened. When a person gets injured, criminal charges are not stopped but go to court, full stop

That my friend is a sword that cuts both ways. Not in any way trying to excuse drunk driving BUT

Does the owner of the cow not have a responsibility to insure it does not wander out onto a public roadway? Might be the farmer getting sued. Of course getting paid would be a different matter.

Easy answer. The owner of the cow has responsibility and you can sue him if you want to. I wouldn't because I would lose money on doing it (as I would indeed get compensation but it wouldn't quite cover all expenses anyway). The drink driving is a totally different case of course and not related to if the cow in this lucky case or the child in a less lucky case was allowed to be there or not

Now, if it had been a drunk farang and he had hit me or my daughter even the slightest, then I would invoke criminal changes and force the case to court. For the pleasure of getting the expats work permit and visa cancelled, for the pleasure of knowing that he would have to explain to the HR department what on earth happened, to then get the obligatory question from the HR manager - Do you have a drinking problem

Easily worth 60-70 thousand baht :D

The idea about the nice farang that is richer than the poor cow herder, offering him 1k baht out of kindness sucks in my opinion.

I had a busted arse car hit me in the rear 2 years ago, they were not looking and did not stop in time at some lights.

My new car still had red plates, their bucket a bolts was falling apart. They asked my wife and waid me so high to forgive them and maybe as i was richer than them, i could forget about it and pay for my own damages.

if however the shoe had been on the other foot,it would have been xmas time in their eyes and out to get me for all they could.

The double standards here suck big time.

Regarding claiming on your insurance. I thought if you have an accident you need to stop and call the insurance company to come and sort it out? You have to wait until the insurance company come (and its rather a naff rule since in Bangkok you see people literally stop exactly where the accident happened, like the middle lane, and wait for the insurance co, irrespective of whether it creates a traffic jam). Otherwise you cannot claim on your insurance post accident, so to speak.

Regarding claiming on your insurance. I thought if you have an accident you need to stop and call the insurance company to come and sort it out? You have to wait until the insurance company come (and its rather a naff rule since in Bangkok you see people literally stop exactly where the accident happened, like the middle lane, and wait for the insurance co, irrespective of whether it creates a traffic jam). Otherwise you cannot claim on your insurance post accident, so to speak.

Check the fine print - if you can get hold of it. The insurance company can refuse to accept responsibility but more likely, they can't help you any longer because you destroyed the evidence by moving the car. The by far most common scenario is that the story suddenly change a bit once the car is moved (happens to Thais sometimes anyway, don't know if it happens to wsterners too). Which is why smart Thais do not move their cars. They know that it is more common that the story changes after the car is moved here than in Germany

Be smart and use your right. Don't move your car / bike until there is evidence (police mark place, video the whole place with your mobile, spray the marks and arrows yourself, whatever).

Unless you can see that the driver of the other vehicle is a nice guy of course

I once ran over a dog at 170Km/hr. it just came over the greenery road divider, no chance of brake, I went straight through, it wrecked the sedan , Radiator, spoiler, bumber, even bent the aircon gas chamber, mangled number plate, and a seriously dead dog. can had to be towed, cost the insurance co 50 large ones.

If it had been a cow ......... ,

170 km/hr....in a hurry?????