List Of Places For Best Cheap Food In Pattaya

healthcaretaker

I cannot find any good website or link that list the best local food in Pattaya contributed well by thge locals.

From my travel experience and travel guidebooks, I find that the least or most inaccurate informations are always places for cheap local foods. These may be due to guidebooks are mostly written by foreigners who are mostly "unfamiliar-in-taste" to local food or they don't get any benefits from putting up info on cheap establishments or hawker food.

How about contributing a list of local cheap eats in Pattaya here. I am sure this thread will be very useful to many people and guidebook publishers too if the locals can contribute.

I will be visiting Pattaya soon and look forward to the most outstanding local food here, whether it is just a roadside fried chicken stall, a simple shade, shop or restaurant.

Please be specific on the place & the food that you have been told or actually tried or go regularly and don';t contribute less useful replies like "You can find numerous stalls along .......road" or "Just ask the locals or your hotel reception" or "any place where you see many locals eat". :realangry:

I hope to get the real good, famous or outstanding ones where the locals know and willing to make all the way for it.....:D

Thank you in advance.:jap:

Edited by healthcaretaker

I'll start with one most locals know. The Muslim chicken with yellow rice place on Pattaya Tai at Soi Bukoaw. They also have Khao man gai but the Khao Mok Gai is what to order. Ask for yellow, though, if you are a foreigner, they may think you mean Khao man gai even if you call for Khao Mok Gai. 35 baht for the large size, recommended.

BTW, I am looking for a street place that does really good pad krapow. Believe it or not, I have yet to find one that does it for me in Pattaya or Jomtien.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I'll start with one most locals know. The Muslim chicken with yellow rice place on Pattaya Tai at Soi Bukoaw. They also have Khao man gai but the Khao Mok Gai is what to order. Ask for yellow, though, if you are a foreigner, they may think you mean Khao man gai even if you call for Khao Mok Gai. 35 baht for the large size, recommended.

BTW, I am looking for a street place that does really good pad krapow. Believe it or not, I have yet to find one that does it for me in Pattaya or Jomtien.

I have to give a huge thumbs up for this place. Man-o-man, that place is good, good, good!

TheWalkingMan

OP must be writing a book, posted the same thing in Bangkok. :lol:

Haha...no, I am not writing a book but you give the idea, I am sure anyone writing a book will find it useful.

I also started a similar thread in Chiang Mai and response has been very good but after 3 weeks away, I cannot locate it now.:(

Haha...no, I am not writing a book but you give the idea, I am sure anyone writing a book will find it useful.

I also started a similar thread in Chiang Mai and response has been very good but after 3 weeks away, I cannot locate it now.:(

Good luck. The best thing (assuming you have time) is collate all the answers, tips and then blog it somewhere.

Thanks Jingthing,

I presume Soi Bukoaw is a very small lane or place and easy to locate your stall or shop ? What's their business hours ?:annoyed:

Good luck. The best thing (assuming you have time) is collate all the answers, tips and then blog it somewhere.

No need to blog anwhere, this forum is good enough. I don't do this for other reasons.

I am just a greedy person and a GREAT Thailand lover. I love to promote Thailand and cannot stand those poor recommendations by Lousy Planet :D

No need to blog anwhere, this forum is good enough. I don't do this for other reasons.

I am just a greedy person and a GREAT Thailand lover. I love to promote Thailand and cannot stand those poor recommendations by Lousy Planet :D

The problem is (for us lazy people) is scrolling through 15 pages of posts and all the quoting that goes on like above. would be nice to have a final list - sans all the bs comments (like mine) :unsure:

On the corner of 3rd rd and soi 17 (a couple of hundred meters south of Tony's Fitness Center) there is a food market that opens up around 1600 hrs. In the north-eastern corner of the market is a somtam stall. Try the stall one down from that one. A husband and wife team runs it and they serve large portions of very tasty pad krapow (among other things) for 30 baht.

I would also recommend their pad phak loamitr (sauteed mixed vegetables with chicken/pork etc.)

There is a little shop on Chaiyapruek 2, about 250m up from Sukhumvit, on the right - directly opposite the market, you will see a chimney sticking out, between the K bank atm and the SCB atm, cant miss it, superb duck noodle soup 30 or 35 baht, lot of Thai food, good, clean and cheap and the lady that runs it speaks perfect english. Dont think there is an official name?? i will find out.

They have Ice coffee, Ice tea etc @ 15 baht (big cups) and all that other stuff that is made with sugar and condensed milk !! Ha Ha !!, beer same price as mom n pop shops - ie: 30 baht for a small Leo, 47 baht for a big Leo, not a bad place to sit in the evening and put the world to rights!!.

Thanks everyone again.

Jingthing - the yellow ball rice sounds like something available in Malaysia's Melaka too, It's served with steamed chicken, right ?

I will try to look for those places, what is "somtom stall" ?

MZurf - your description is not very clear, you mean there are 2 similar looking stalls there ?

The problem is (for us lazy people) is scrolling through 15 pages of posts and all the quoting that goes on like above. would be nice to have a final list - sans all the bs comments (like mine) :unsure:

You are right about the trouble but if I am really keen to look for good food, even 50 pages is no trouble for a GREEDY person like me :lol:

I wonder why TV don't start some special threads just for members to post only places to eat.

Thanks everyone again.

Jingthing - the yellow ball rice sounds like something available in Malaysia's Melaka too, It's served with steamed chicken, right ?

I will try to look for those places, what is "somtom stall" ?

MZurf - your description is not very clear, you mean there are 2 similar looking stalls there ?

The food market is full of stalls. Just point your nose towards South Pattaya Rd and the somtam place will be the one in the top right corner. The stall I'm talking about will be one down (south of) from that one.

Somtam

The restaurant directly across from Foodland on Pattaya Klang serves the best Khow Kha Moo I have had in Thailand, about B35.

Out Sukumvit on the soi immediately next to the Toyota dealer (on the east side of Sukumvit (going out from Pattaya, you will need to do a u-turn after the Toyota dealer and coming back it is the first soi on the left before the Toyota dealer)) is a restaurant that has won awards for its som tam (about 500 m down the soi from Sukumvit road). They sell much more than just som tam -- their yams, tom yum, gai tod, and moo tod are excellent. There are probably cheaper places, but B225 will satisfyingly fill up two adults and a child -- can't beat that! Great place for a Saturday lunch. It is packed with Thais (few farang) on weekends and holidays. I don't think that it is open past 5:00.

Not overly impressed with the Khao Man Gai at the corner of Bua Khao. My personal favourite is the stall opposite the fresh market on Pattaya Klang. Just next to the Seven Eleven.

Agreed, which is why I said before --

They also have Khao man gai but the Khao Mok Gai is what to order.

Oh... now I know Som Tam is the papaya salad....but I prefer the one with mango stripes, any good place for it in Pattaya ?

So far more people talk about "gai" here. Looks like "chicks" are more popular in Pattaya,

how about Basil leaves fried minced meat, roasted pork fried green vegetables and clear tomyam saefood soup ? These 3 items together with Mango Somtam make up my standard Thai meal :lol:

There is a little shop on Chaiyapruek 2, about 250m up from Sukhumvit, on the right - directly opposite the market, you will see a chimney sticking out, between the K bank atm and the SCB atm, cant miss it, superb duck noodle soup 30 or 35 baht, lot of Thai food, good, clean and cheap and the lady that runs it speaks perfect english. Dont think there is an official name?? i will find out.

They have Ice coffee, Ice tea etc @ 15 baht (big cups) and all that other stuff that is made with sugar and condensed milk !! Ha Ha !!, beer same price as mom n pop shops - ie: 30 baht for a small Leo, 47 baht for a big Leo, not a bad place to sit in the evening and put the world to rights!!.

Sounds wonderful...and just down the road! Might have to head over there for lunch as our electricity will be out part of the day...again...

I still have not tried that pizza place yet, but will this next week as wifey is heading home for a few days.

Also, right near that pizza place is a new restaurant I've heard about. Jaidee's wife and family rave about it. I'll try it this next week also...went there last night and it was closed! :(

Have you tried the place across from the Ambassador? It's just before the crosswalk as you are headed South and it's a corner restaurant that has a BBQ outside. Great staff and the BBQ food is really good...and cheap. We all did take out from there last night. Nam tok moo, moo ping (?BBQ port?), BBQ Issan sausages and of course, 2 BBQ fish with all the veggies to make some great Thai style fish tacos! At least that is what I call them. ;) The added attraction is all the Russian ladies cruising around. Some real eye candy for sure!

P.S. There is a group in Pattaya called Frugal Freddy who dine out every Monday night. I can't remember the requirements, but has to be like 150B or less per person for them to try the restaurant. If you sign up for the email notices, you can also get their listing of restaurants with reviews. I know he is a member here, but if you want more info, PM me and I will send you his email address.

That person is me, guidelines have expanded we now have $$ restaurant (B150 or less for complete meal plus soft drink) $$$ B150 - B250 and $$$$ B250 and up. All of the restaurants give us a 20% discount on our check bin on Monday night and if PCEC member any night we come and show our card.

That person is me, guidelines have expanded we now have $ restaurant (B150 or less for complete meal plus soft drink) $$ B150 - B250 and $$ B250 and up. All of the restaurants give us a 20% discount on our check bin on Monday night and if PCEC member any night we come and show our card.

:whistling:Who is frugal freddie??:unsure:

Oh... now I know Som Tam is the papaya salad....but I prefer the one with mango stripes, any good place for it in Pattaya ?

I dont know of anywhere permanent but there is a motorised mango salad vendor most evenings for a short while directly opposite Nuch's place. He does two versions, one with pickled crab and one with fish for people who dont eat things with legs. They both taste great. 40B or less, I think.

Nuch's place is the Soi Buakow end of Soi Xzyte, not far from the Bowling Club and more or less opposite the French Bakery.