Why Is It Hard To Get Job In Bkk

Most find it easier to just live here, not work here.

The majority come here came with some revenue stream already in place.

The rest teach or wash bar glasses, except for the IT guys, they can get work anywhere, ... what you heard in school was right, ... math and science..

mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

Another tip....be highly sceptical about the jobs proffered here.

They are either bogus leads, or the deal boils down to you having to work for free.

Yes, its dressed up in some frilly style or sweet talk of 'Partnership', but basically you're not going to get paid.

You cannot apply for interesting positions - expat postings - in Thailand. This is decided in Headquarters overseas. Best bet is go back to where you come from, get a job with a multinational company and work your way to the job in Thailand.

In Thailand you can only get the "local" employments, usually paid a bit better than a Thai salary but most likely far off your expectations.

Alternative: Do as I did, set up your own shop and be ready for a very bumpy road.

Actually that is not true. I have worked for 5 different companies here in the last 7 years, and with the exception of the first job, I was always hired while in country. Expat positions and good conditions.

However, if all the OP has to sell is a college education, I think he/she should go back to school, and then get some work experience before even thinking of working in Thailand.

Unless he is triolling that is, in which case he should get himself a life first...... :o

You cannot apply for interesting positions - expat postings - in Thailand. This is decided in Headquarters overseas. Best bet is go back to where you come from, get a job with a multinational company and work your way to the job in Thailand.

In Thailand you can only get the "local" employments, usually paid a bit better than a Thai salary but most likely far off your expectations.

Alternative: Do as I did, set up your own shop and be ready for a very bumpy road.

Actually that is not true. I have worked for 5 different companies here in the last 7 years, and with the exception of the first job, I was always hired while in country. Expat positions and good conditions.

However, if all the OP has to sell is a college education, I think he/she should go back to school, and then get some work experience before even thinking of working in Thailand.

Unless he is triolling that is, in which case he should get himself a life first...... :o

I'm with whiteshiva on this one, all my positions over the last 10 years or so have been obtained through in-country networking, very often in the pub. You can't network if you are not in-country (or at least, in-region).

HOWEVER you do need lots of experience and a skill that is not readily available in Thailand (I have both).

I'm with whiteshiva on this one, all my positions over the last 10 years or so have been obtained through in-country networking, very often in the pub. You can't network if you are not in-country (or at least, in-region).

HOWEVER you do need lots of experience and a skill that is not readily available in Thailand (I have both).

I had all that and more.

In Thailand, my company has 50 multi-million dollars systems(Thai Airways, Lotus, Siam Cement, BKK Bank, TFB Bank...), compared to 600 in Oz and 4000 in Japan.

Nobody in BKK cared to talk to me, including farangs running IT shops there.

The farangs were the worst. From the depth of their unawareness, they even asked me if I had any skills. Poor buggers could not even comprehend there was a human activity like that.

Fortunatelly for me, Japanese knew what it was about and gave me a great job.

What Thais did not consider as a skill (not blaming them), Japanese let me manage 15 billion US$ installed base. Only for maintenance we get 100 mil US$ a year.

In Thai, I was doomed.

Target - Singapore, Maylasia, Indonesia - far easier to find work there than thailand. Or progress enough in a western based firm to achieve a transfer - mind you hard sought after - competition will be stiff. Else find something truely specialized which makes you unique.

why is it so difficult to get a job in thailand. this is a question i have asked myself many times. not only have i asked that question, i have tried to act on this time and time again .

i am a PGA class aa golf professional, i have been to thailand many times now either playing in overseas pro ams or just taking time off in the winter to relax.

i have sent cvs to many human resources managers who are employed at golf courses and resorts around the country.

Originally i thought since my line of work has quite a niche market, and i believe that thailand has bundles of awesome golf courses, all of which could do with a team of professionals attached to enhance the golf course and set-up, that i could stand a good chance of gaining employment. This has proved not to be the case.

I have loads of experiance in my field, i have been workind at several courses in Ireland now for over 10 years, i have my PGA status, a business and finance gnvq 111, i even went to try and learn some thai.

However, i will keep trying. i will keep learning thai, i will upgrade my pga status, i will keep sending cvs and arriving in thailand and approaching the hirers in these companies. djgambol i suggest you do the same, chok dee

ricky

Companies here ....they're 'Thai Thai'......they don't want to hear or have the broad diversity that can come from a Farang.

My Thai Uncle works at the head of a company in exactly my line of business - one of the biggest corporations in Thailand - yet a Thai-only company. They won't even talk to me.

<and he likes me, he gives me really nice Christmas presents and bottles of Grange Hermitage wine>

I had a buddy who tried it for 2 years in Thailand. He had to make money as he had no stream of income to live off. Got a job in IT management working for a Singapore company. He has a masters in IT.

I guess he was working about 50-60 hours a week for about 40k baht a month. Whew! Sure discouraged me. That is one reason I headed back to the US to try what has been recommended here. Get a job at a big, international company and try and get relocated. It would be Singapore, but that is a good start.

If I don't get the relo package, then I will just move myself. Not sure what I will do, but I will figure that out when the time comes.

You guys give excellent advise!

WhiteShiva, Crossy, think_too_mut: lucky bastards! :o

Myself, and lots of others I know experienced it the other way around...not that we were lacking skills...it was just this "don't worry about the salary, the commissions are just fantastic" talk...thanks but no thanks!

Remember the iceberg concept only 25% of jobs are advertised (show) so select your field research the possible employers research those employers (names history) ask yourself what can you do for them (look up their KPI.s, their business charter, their goals dont limit what you write down sift it later).

Put a resume/application together start calling arrange interviews/meetings get off your bottom (I use bottom due to your tender age nearer my age get off your arse).

Get the concept of you need them out of your thoughts They Need You - Now go and convince them of that.

You dont say if you are farang or Thai but I find it difficult to believe a farang school leaver is here looking for a job - hence work on your English - practice phone manner, smile get friends farang/thai if possible to put you through some mock interviews the list goes on.

Happy job hunting (remember it is very difficult for a prospective employer to know you are in the job hunting mode unless you tell them - not many have crystal balls for those that have practice your ball cleaning skills)..

I believe mijan offers the best advise. If you have good skills you should land a job sooner or later, but you have to think outside the box a little, network... not just fire off email applications. I believe a foreign owned IT shop is your only real chance. Thai owned places generally (with exceptions in REAL niche markets) will not consider farang, and even if they did, the pay would be pretty low.

good luck.

Lucy1, as you mentioned in your post on Sunday, you live in the UK

Just saying 'keep ya pecker up' .......eh?...what ?

'Stiff upper lip', 'keep your chin up'.

Its tough here. Really hard. People should confront that reality when making their plans. People here usually either have to take extremely low paid work or live on private income.

Pip Pip.

Got job today at last. Decent pay took your advice and got job from that so cheers for that when you come do what you said and look at that.

why is it so difficult to get a job in thailand. this is a question i have asked myself many times. not only have i asked that question, i have tried to act on this time and time again .

i am a PGA class aa golf professional, i have been to thailand many times now either playing in overseas pro ams or just taking time off in the winter to relax.

i have sent cvs to many human resources managers who are employed at golf courses and resorts around the country.

Originally i thought since my line of work has quite a niche market, and i believe that thailand has bundles of awesome golf courses, all of which could do with a team of professionals attached to enhance the golf course and set-up, that i could stand a good chance of gaining employment. This has proved not to be the case.

I have loads of experiance in my field, i have been workind at several courses in Ireland now for over 10 years, i have my PGA status, a business and finance gnvq 111, i even went to try and learn some thai.

However, i will keep trying. i will keep learning thai, i will upgrade my pga status, i will keep sending cvs and arriving in thailand and approaching the hirers in these companies. djgambol i suggest you do the same, chok dee

ricky

What you need to do is simple. Work for yourself in Thailand. Get a few photos of yourself having a round with some big shot golfer. Bandy these around the right cricles and charge an absloute arm and a leg for your services.

The Hi-so types with more money than sense will come a running.

I agree with Moog 100% here. One thing to take note of aswell, even if you go back to your home country and work for a multi-national and get transferred to Asia, the contract is only likely to be for a couple of years until they pack you off to somewhere like Pakistan. Only the real senior people get to stay here on long contracts. If you are a little creative here you can do very well setting up your own business.

Companies here ....they're 'Thai Thai'......they don't want to hear or have the broad diversity that can come from a Farang.

My Thai Uncle works at the head of a company in exactly my line of business - one of the biggest corporations in Thailand - yet a Thai-only company. They won't even talk to me.

<and he likes me, he gives me really nice Christmas presents and bottles of Grange Hermitage wine>

What you need to do is simple. Work for yourself in Thailand. Get a few photos of yourself having a round with some big shot golfer.  Bandy these around the right cricles and charge an absloute arm and a leg for your services.

Aisans, and the Thais in particular are perfect "marks" for conmen. You show off a few dollars, go golfing with them and then you can take them to the cleaner. I wish I would be that bold and do it, but instead I am blowing my mind on low cost Thai hookers. I am in the wrong market :o

One more thing....

whilst the trendy Management self-help text books witter on advising you to go to Asia and pick up a couple of years career experience in exciting markets

THE REALITY IS

when you go back home. You are UNEMPLOYABLE.

The skill sets you have picked up in Asia, often have little application in Europe and USA.

No wait, that wrong, they do have application, but the employers give you zero credit for them, they offer no attraction to them.

Its a bummer

What you need to do is simple. Work for yourself in Thailand. Get a few photos of yourself having a round with some big shot golfer.  Bandy these around the right cricles and charge an absloute arm and a leg for your services.

Aisans, and the Thais in particular are perfect "marks" for conmen. You show off a few dollars, go golfing with them and then you can take them to the cleaner. I wish I would be that bold and do it, but instead I am blowing my mind on low cost Thai hookers. I am in the wrong market :o

Needless to say, I wasn't implying that you should come and con-people out of their money. Only that you provide a flash service to people who go for those things. It always amuses me how thai hi-so's rabbit on about Penfolds wine from Australia, purely because other Hi-so's drink it. Admittedly it is a good wine (like you are a good golf pro), but Thai's are willing to pay over the odds for it if it helps re-inforce their image and appearance of sophistication.

It always amuses me how thai hi-so's rabbit on about Penfolds wine from Australia, purely because other Hi-so's drink it. Admittedly it is a good wine (like you are a good golf pro), but Thai's are willing to pay over the odds for it if it helps re-inforce their image and appearance of sophistication.

I always quaff Beer Leo, as it creates a positive image of myself and reinforces my self-esteem.

Buy Beer Leo, the sophisticated choice.

It always amuses me how thai hi-so's rabbit on about Penfolds wine from Australia, purely because other Hi-so's drink it. Admittedly it is a good wine (like you are a good golf pro), but Thai's are willing to pay over the odds for it if it helps re-inforce their image and appearance of sophistication.

I always quaff Beer Leo, as it creates a positive image of myself and reinforces my self-esteem.

Buy Beer Leo, the sophisticated choice.

Bia Lao is the bee's knees. Respect and Som Tam (Lao) for All.

One more thing....

whilst the trendy Management self-help text books witter on advising you to go to Asia and pick up a couple of years career experience in exciting markets

THE REALITY IS

The skill sets you have picked up in Asia, often have little application in Europe and USA.

No wait, that wrong, they do have application, but the employers give you zero credit for them, they offer no attraction to them.

Its a bummer

Where did you get that from?

I don't know about your "teach yourself management in 24 hours" books, in my office 4 other westerners and myself were all system engineers and got promoted into management back in Oz. Now we are spending a few years in Asia on our way to corporate positions in the US (hardly anyone would want to leave Asia, including myself).

Also, HQ send perspecive executives to get their feet wet in Asia before installing them in high jobs.

I believe any position with global companies in Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Japan will give you invaluable experience.

A headhunter from Oz told me after Japan nobody will ever question my skills, adaptability, flexibility and my CV should not be longer than 1 page. He can sell me at any time I want, keeps in touch with me (calls me every month at his expense for a friendly chat) ensuring I talk to him first if I want to make a move.

One more thing....

THE REALITY IS

Its a bummer

I agree with the op on that one. Maybe not for Kiwis or Yanks, but definitely for Europeans. If you leave Europe for work, you are dead. They hate "foreign" experience over there. The yanks and kiwis I guess are smarter when it comes to judge work experience.

One more thing....

THE REALITY IS

Its a bummer

I agree with the op on that one. Maybe not for Kiwis or Yanks, but definitely for Europeans. If you leave Europe for work, you are dead. They hate "foreign" experience over there. The yanks and kiwis I guess are smarter when it comes to judge work experience.

Europe is looking into it's own belly button.

No understanding that the center of the economical gravity has shifted towards Asia.

What a sad, overcrowded and ridiculous place Europe is. No wonder residents from there are asking the public if we were jealous about those living in Thailand.