If Married Can't Go To University

Neeranam

A mate called me to tell me that his wife was going to university to study.

I told him that she couldn't as it was against the law.

Does anyone know the law relating to this?

Is this stupid law only for undergraduates in Thailand.

What about if a married farang wanted to go to uni?

A mate called me to tell me that his wife was going to university to study.

I told him that she couldn't as it was against the law.

Does anyone know the law relating to this?

Is  this  stupid law only for undergraduates in Thailand.

What about if a married farang wanted to go to uni?

It's not against the law although it depends on the Uni. My wife is going to Uni and we are married.

RC

My wife is on Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University correspondence course pursuing undergraduate accounting degree and she's married. She may not have been married yet when she signed up for the course but she is registered as Mrs. Nordlys (not Miss) now. I can't imagine how a marital status can be a reason for barring someone from uni admission application regardless of your nationality even in Thailand.

I can't imagine how a marital status can be a reason for barring someone from uni admission application regardless of your nationality even in Thailand.

It is a reason for many universities, at least 5 I can think of.

Which unis are they? For both undergrad and graduate course? Is that legal (or even constitutional)? And what's the rational for that policy? Sounds ridiculous.

Edited by Nordlys

I can't imagine how a marital status can be a reason for barring someone from uni admission application regardless of your nationality even in Thailand.

Which unis are they? For both undergrad and graduate course? Is that legal (or even constitutional)? And what's the rational for that policy? Sounds ridiculous.

it certainly is not legal under the constitution

This makes sense to me now....

Me and the wife were talking about her cousin and her boyfriend, they have been together for years, he works and takes care of her while she studies at University, he pays for her fees etc..

So I asked why the familes haven't made them get married, the answer I got was because she had to study first... I didn't quite understand, but now I do..

totster :o

Apart from it's the school's rule, what would the justification be for not allowing a married person to attend a university?

Are you asking the members of this forum what the justification would be..??

It almost sounds as if you are holding the OP responsible for not allowing married persons attend university..! :o

totster :D