Bugs In My Pasta

JusMe

I keep finding small hard black bugs in my packages of pasta. Not so bad if I want to use the rotini for salad as I can rinse it cool after cooking and remove them that way, but doesn't work with hot fettucini.

I don't know what they are, but really don't want them. But even double bagged, the pasta ends up crawling with these things, and bits of the pasta seem to get greyish.

Best would be some way to prevent them, but as I've said, I've double bagged and they come from somewhere. I think I've even had them get into an unopened manufacturer's package. bah.gif

I would accept some kind of insecticide that killed them off, but would be safe for me once the pasta is cooked. Not very good solution, but better than sharing with those damned bugs.

Any ideas?

They're "flour bugs" and can be there, in egg form, when you buy the pasta or flour products. Usually they are there which is why the FDA allows them in certain quantities.

They will spread though, so you should keep all products of this category sealed well.

Suppose you could rinse the pasta before you cook it. Flour can be sifted, but personally, I just consider it extra - and free - protein.

As far as I remember, they do not carry any type of disease. Beats spraying insecticide everywhere.

Sounds like I need some good sealing jars or containers to put the pasta in once I've opened the package. Might follow the freezer idea, too.

No problem getting something for the rotini, but any ideas about something appropriately sized for spaghetti or fettucine? Most of the containers I've seen have been too short, even drinking bottles.

Sounds like I need some good sealing jars or containers to put the pasta in once I've opened the package. Might follow the freezer idea, too.

No problem getting something for the rotini, but any ideas about something appropriately sized for spaghetti or fettucine? Most of the containers I've seen have been too short, even drinking bottles.

I put my flour or anything else like that which has been opened (including rice) in the freezer.

When I've had the (same / similar?) bugs in rice the usual trick is to put cloves of garlic in the storage container with the lid off - then watch the little critters scurry out in seconds! Once they're gone pop the lid back on but make sure it's airtight. You don't need to peel the garlic, just separate the cloves from the head and pop them in 'as is'. Not tried it with pasta yet, not had any bugs in mine lately.

sealing jars etc wont work in a hot climate - the bug eggs are likely in the pasta already, even those from Italy.

Keep it in the fridge or freezer, as bkkjames advises.

I even keep my flour and spices in the fridge.

Havent had bug probs since taking on this practice.