Can Women Get Thai Buddhist Protection Tattoos?

submaniac

The GF wants to get a Thai Buddhist tattoo on the next trip to Thailand. BUT I don't know if that is possible given the monks preclusion from touching a woman. So with that said, is it possible for a woman to get a Thai Buddhist tattoo, and if so, which temple? Thanks.

You have to go see the Monks , he will have a man to do it. His called an" Adanoo" . Although not a monk he will do it while the monk chants. Not all Temples will do it you have to ask at your local Temple who will do it , A tiger is the most common , but there are lot of different ones.

Edited by Thongkorn

It is done in ChiangMai but very expensive as the magic is strong (25kbht)

But the downside is

Every Thai person who sees this particular tattoo (sak yan) done will think she is a prostitute (or pop star or movie star).

Edited by pjclark1

But the downside is

Every Thai person who sees this particular tattoo (sak yan) done will think she is a prostitute (or pop star or movie star).

My wife received this tattoo a few months ago when she went to the temple.

For this reason ( looking as a prostitute )a colorless ink is used so you don’t see it very good after a while.

She says it is for the power and not to show of. :jap:

You have to go see the Monks , he will have a man to do it. His called an" Adanoo" . Although not a monk he will do it while the monk chants.

A rare video of the chant being performed. Adanoo? Not Agadoo? Sorry. My bad.

But the downside is

Che, i wish i could be as subtle as you.

You have to go see the Monks , he will have a man to do it. His called an" Adanoo" . Although not a monk he will do it while the monk chants.

A rare video of the chant being performed. Adanoo? Not Agadoo? Sorry. My bad.

This was the best form of defence the world new about . it still works to day, bore the bar stuards away.

Submaniac, there are many everyday Thai women who get them. It is about superstition and beliefs, not about social status or being a prostitute. Don't listen to the other posters and their belittling comments. Although many bar girls have these tattoos, that doesn't mean that only bar girls get them, only that they need protection, usually from the men who hire them.

Yes, she can get it done. It is dependent on the monk, but almost all will do it. When she goes to the temple, talk to the monk, he will say yes or no. How it is done is all those waiting to have a tattoo done will assist the monk. While one person is being tattoo'd, two others will help hold the subject still while also spreading the skin tight to receive the ink better. When that person is done being tattoo'd, they are expected to help hold the next 2 people. In the case of your GF, the only difference is that one of the "helpers" holding her still will also place his arm/hand in a position for the monk to rest his hand while doing the tattoo. This way, the monk does not touch her, only the needle.

The cost is minimal, just the cost of donating to the temple. You purchase cigarettes and flowers and candles in front of the entrance and bring those into the tattooing chamber. A collection plate is passed around and the GF places the items on the plate. This is the offering to the temple, and is the sole cost of the tattoo.

You can specify the place on the body and also the design and size of the tattoo. Usually the monk will respect her wishes, but be prepared, he often tailors it somewhat to each individual, in terms of size and also the characters used in the tattoo. Each tattoo represents protection from something, which GF can specify.

As for the post about colorless tattoos, it is not "ink" that is used. It is coconut oil, and is called Sak Na Mun or Oil Tattoo. This raises the skin, but otherwise is colorless after the redness goes down in a couple of days.

The most famous tattoo temple is Wat Bang Phra in Nakhon Pathom, about 1 hour west of Bangkok. Very easy to find. There is a very famous tattoo festival there every year, coming up in February I believe. If she is doing it for the spirituality of it, then this is the most famous temple in Thailand for the actual protection that it is supposed to provide.

Edited by floridaguy

Submaniac, there are many everyday Thai women who get them. It is about superstition and beliefs, not about social status or being a prostitute. Don't listen to the other posters and their belittling comments. Although many bar girls have these tattoos, that doesn't mean that only bar girls get them, only that they need protection, usually from the men who hire them.

Yes, she can get it done. It is dependent on the monk, but almost all will do it. When she goes to the temple, talk to the monk, he will say yes or no. How it is done is all those waiting to have a tattoo done will assist the monk. While one person is being tattoo'd, two others will help hold the subject still while also spreading the skin tight to receive the ink better. When that person is done being tattoo'd, they are expected to help hold the next 2 people. In the case of your GF, the only difference is that one of the "helpers" holding her still will also place his arm/hand in a position for the monk to rest his hand while doing the tattoo. This way, the monk does not touch her, only the needle.

The cost is minimal, just the cost of donating to the temple. You purchase cigarettes and flowers and candles in front of the entrance and bring those into the tattooing chamber. A collection plate is passed around and the GF places the items on the plate. This is the offering to the temple, and is the sole cost of the tattoo.

You can specify the place on the body and also the design and size of the tattoo. Usually the monk will respect her wishes, but be prepared, he often tailors it somewhat to each individual, in terms of size and also the characters used in the tattoo. Each tattoo represents protection from something, which GF can specify.

As for the post about colorless tattoos, it is not "ink" that is used. It is coconut oil, and is called Sak Na Mun or Oil Tattoo. This raises the skin, but otherwise is colorless after the redness goes down in a couple of days.

The most famous tattoo temple is Wat Bang Phra in Nakhon Pathom, about 1 hour west of Bangkok. Very easy to find. There is a very famous tattoo festival there every year, coming up in February I believe. If she is doing it for the spirituality of it, then this is the most famous temple in Thailand for the actual protection that it is supposed to provide.

Protection? Spirituality? Buddhism?

We are talking about a tatoo!

If you like a tatoo, go for it.

But please, no wishy washy nonsense about protection or spirituality or buddhism.

But please, no wishy washy nonsense about protection or spirituality or buddhism.

Nothing to do with Buddhism at all, protection from what?

Wonder how many are aware of the "rules" that govern these sak yant.

Perhaps floridaguy could rock up at the most infamous temple in Thailand and get a sak yant for a minimal cost, last I heard it was 10,000 baht per line, thats if the "master" even tattoos you, if he is there at all these days.

Go to On Nut 25 (cant remember the name of the wat) another on soi nawamin, you dont point to a picture and ask for it to be tattooed, your date of birth, characteristics, occupation etc etc are all taken into account, then it will be decided where you get tattoooed and what will be tattooed.

Two different people can go and at the same time, both will end up with differing sak yant.

Much easier to buy a magic amulet.

With the added advantage that you can dump it in a rubbish bin, once the magic has worn off / or you joined a different sect.

Do you have faith or religion? Do you pray to a god? What makes your beliefs better than someone else's?

Nothing to do with Buddhism at all, protection from what?

Wonder how many are aware of the "rules" that govern these sak yant.

Perhaps floridaguy could rock up at the most infamous temple in Thailand and get a sak yant for a minimal cost, last I heard it was 10,000 baht per line, thats if the "master" even tattoos you, if he is there at all these days.

Go to On Nut 25 (cant remember the name of the wat) another on soi nawamin, you dont point to a picture and ask for it to be tattooed, your date of birth, characteristics, occupation etc etc are all taken into account, then it will be decided where you get tattoooed and what will be tattooed.

Two different people can go and at the same time, both will end up with differing sak yant.

I did go to Wat Bang Phra, and I did get the tattoo for the cost of my 200 baht donation. I did go to the temple on On Nut Soi 29 and spoke to the ajarn. He gave me ink he prepared for me for free. Have you been to either place? Did you speak to them? You "heard"? Very good basis for something you obviously know nothing about.

Thank you Floridaguy and the other folks on here who have provided useful information.

For some other people, I was not asking about whether I or she should do it, just whether it could be done. Getting one of these means something to both of us, so the decision is already made. Different strokes for different folks. If you do not want to get one that is your choice, as the choice to get one is mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Floridaguy and the other folks on here who have provided useful information.

For some other people, I was not asking about whether I or she should do it, just whether it could be done. Getting one of these means something to both of us, so the decision is already made. Different strokes for different folks. If you do not want to get one that is your choice, as the choice to get one is mine.

My son recently got one of these traditional tattoos from a monk.

The monk used this bamboo stick (I thinks its something like that).

A Wat (dont remember the name) an hours drive from Bangkok.

He found it on internet.

Women also got their tattoos from the monk himself when he was there.

The monk used a cloth to make sure he did not touch the womens skin directly.