Thailand To Sell Eggs By The Kilo From Next Month

webfact

Commerce to sell eggs by kilo next month

The Commerce Ministry Wednesday approved a proposal to sell eggs by kilo as a choice for consumer at the price of Bt50-52 per kilogram.

Selling eggs by kilo will be launched in Bangkok next month.

It is the government's idea to reduce cost of people's cost of living.

However, people are still able to buy eggs by size ranging from number zero (the biggest size) to number 3 (the smallest size) and the price will be quoted in line with the size.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-19

I see it as a way of stopping people selling eggs of mixed sizes by number and then ccharging the largest price. Like when we buy apples they may have 4 large ones and 2 small ones but as they are sold by the kilo no one is cheated.

Edited by harrry

Is this "Thinking outside the shell?"

If I am going to have to pay by the kilo, I think they should deduct the weight of the shell.

and when you buy a t-bone steak they should deduct the weight of the bone <_<

If I am going to have to pay by the kilo, I think they should deduct the weight of the shell.

and when you buy a t-bone steak they should deduct the weight of the bone <_<

Judging by the way most Thais chew on any bone they think this is the best bit :huh:

I wish they sold eggs here (and beer for that matter) by the freshest.

1 day old 5 baht

1 week old 2 baht

100 year old 59 baht - nose plugs extra

This has got to be the best (yolk)of the day, what an (eggsample)to start the new year off, if you insist on (eggsactly) 1 kilo what do they do, I like a good (crack)-its (allwhite.) ( ova ) a period of time it (shell ) have to be (shell'ved) The people who thought of it should be taken into (custardy).Think they may (chicken ) out though. anyway I,m off cause I,m getting (peckish)

and when you buy a t-bone steak they should deduct the weight of the bone

In Isaan bones are more expensive than meat

Ever notice how the brocolli sold here has 8 inches of stem on it-the heaviest part.

Back to eggs, I can just imagine standing behind some person at the check out counter while she has the cashier weigh each one to see how much they cost.

I for one am glad to see they have finally taken action on this issue. Its about time. The old system was really hard - like dividing the price by the number of eggs or what if it was a 12 pack and not a 10 pack. Sizes 0 to 3? Come on why is 0 larger then three anyway - who's idea was that.? Then you need a adding machine when you come across the rack with 18 to 24 eggs. OMG and what size are they really? did you ever check - what if the 2's are all only 2.5 ? why didn't 2.6's sell as 3's. We have been taken for years and didn't know it.

This will promote unity around the country as the shoppers stress level will be much lower and smiles will return to the land of smiles. Thank you Veggie.

Oh Joy !! I just can't wait to be standing in line behind someone who wants exactly 1 kilo of eggs.

" No, the number 1 makes it more than a kilo -- try a number 2 -- oh, still too much -- try a number 3 -- maybe we can weigh each egg separately and use the calculator"

I presume the idiots who dreamt this up, will also soon come up with a plan to sell half eggs too.

I see it as a way of stopping people selling eggs of mixed sizes by number and then ccharging the largest price. Like when we buy apples they may have 4 large ones and 2 small ones but as they are sold by the kilo no one is cheated.

Not in the local market here, all bags and carts are grouped in the same sizes...but then again, mostly Thai's live here.

What is the effect on chickens’ lives? Nobody here seems to care.

Before this, it was ‘you laid seven eggs, OK; you can have the weekend off.

Now it will be ‘That’s just not big enough - too many to the kilo.’

Ouch! ‘That’s better’

What's the big deal? This is actually a good idea and will (should) prevent sellers arbitrarily charging whatever based on size. Fruit n veg is sold by the kilo so why not eggs! Do those individuals fretting over exact weights try and get the precise amount of spuds, tomatoes, carrots?

<br />I see it as a way of stopping people selling eggs of mixed sizes by number and then ccharging the largest price.  Like when we buy apples they may have 4 large ones and 2 small ones but as they are sold by the kilo no one is cheated.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You are right about that and this is going to be great for the consumer. This will eliminate the trend of ever smaller eggs supplanting the bigger ones at the same price. Surprised that after you posted this people are still asking why.