W Here Does One Buy Used Porsche In Bkk?

wants2no

With my experience with Porsche,you will need at least a 911 Targa Turbo to hold your own in BKK traffic,and the real fun of owning one is the mechanic that you will have to bring with you to keep it running in that high speed gridlock,cause you know that a porsche is a very high maint. machine and a Thai mechanic is going to be overqualified to work on one because they all insist on true craftsman ship on anything they do. They all have to have just the right railroad spike and the right size rock to hit it with or they won't work. :o

dont do it !!!!

only buy one of those things new.

last year, in a big scrap/repair yard under the flyovers in the khlong toey area i saw the remains of 2 severely damaged crashed porsches being sawn up and welded to make one undamaged one. many other expensive wrecks were being worked on in a similar manner. i know a few people who have bought expensive euro cars second hand, nearly all have ended up with huge repair bills and weeks of "downtime" with the car.

went looking for a second hand pickup a couple of years ago and was put off by what i saw. no service records,unfriendly dealers in the tents,obvious crash repairs poorly done. ended up buying one from a brother in law, at least i knew about the abuse it had suffered.

thats just my experience though.

there is a poster on this site who is into second hand cars, cant remember his name (bangkok bob maybe???). try and get in touch with him.

good luck though, they are good cars, if you can find some empty roads to enjoy them on.

A Porsche eh?

From my experience of driving in Bangkok and for the same money as you will spend here on one I suggest you try and buy a well maintained used Challenger mark 2 tank.

These vehicles do about a many gallons to the mile as a Porsche but will give you a bit more street cred also you can get a few more passengers in it.

Guest IT Manager

I agree with KevinN. Get your Thai speaking Italian Mechanic to take your maids, your personal assistant and the butler and they can go look for a real new one.

In the mean time, ask your PA to locate a good paint shop because as a foreigner driving one, as opposed to a policeman, it will be a target.

In fact, why not pop a nice big neon sign on your head saying "dumb farang, come and bite me", that will save all the second hand issues about the car. Will be gone in a few minutes and then the policeman will have it. You will be able to complain about the thieving Thais and feel good about everything.

BTW, pop in to the Gymkhana Club in CM and tell all the chappies how you were robbed of your second hand Porsche by a thieving Thail and how vile it is living in the Kingdom. Then go home. Then you can go to Browns and tell everyone about your stint in the orient when the thieving Thais ripped off your Porsche, in spite of having been told you were a dick for buying it. :o

In the mean time, ask your PA to locate a good paint shop because as a foreigner driving one, as opposed to a policeman, it will be a target.

In fact, why not pop a nice big neon sign on your head saying "dumb farang, come and bite me", that will save all the second hand issues about the car. Will be gone in a few minutes and then the policeman will have it. You will be able to complain about the thieving Thais and feel good about everything.

BTW, pop in to the Gymkhana Club in CM and tell all the chappies how you were robbed of your second hand Porsche by a thieving Thailand how vile it is living in the Kingdom. Then go home. Then you can go to Browns and tell everyone about your stint in the orient when the thieving Thais ripped off your Porsche, in spite of having been told you were a dick for buying it.

sounds suspiciously like someone who would have loved to have been able to own one but never quite did. :o

don't worry.

you're not alone.

whatever they have come to represent in the minds of non-owners, porsches are the best engineered and put together cars on the planet. if you can afford the best,and you want the best,then surely you are entitled to have the best. be it computers,cars,shirts,toothpaste whatever. :D

One has to realise that, one of the downsides of living in Thailand, is that owning a decent car like a Jag or Porche, Roller, or anything of that ilk. Is just a no no! The roads take out all the enjoyment of the thing, plus the official hassle that one is likely to have as a foreign driver. Not worth the hassle

Guest IT Manager

BTW, pop in to the Gymkhana Club in CM and tell all the chappies how you were robbed of your second hand Porsche by a thieving Thailand how vile it is living in the Kingdom. Then go home. Then you can go to Browns and tell everyone about your stint in the orient when the thieving Thais ripped off your Porsche, in spite of having been told you were a dick for buying it.

sounds suspiciously like someone who would have loved to have been able to own one but never quite did. :D

don't worry.

you're not alone.

whatever they have come to represent in the minds of non-owners, porsches are the best engineered and put together cars on the planet. if you can afford the best,and you want the best,then surely you are entitled to have the best. be it computers,cars,shirts,toothpaste whatever. B)

Tax actually no. Once, like a few people I drove one, in fact the one he was talking about. Almost busted my back.

However for 6 years I had 5 consecutive new models of the much better engineered Toyota Celica GT4. Surprisingly enough, also very good in Thailnad with it's 6.5" ground clearance against the 3.2 of the Porsche.

In fact the whole reason I even posted to it, was I suspect its' a wind up.

Anyone who has been in Thailand more than a dog watch knows that to drive a car such as that, or the yellow ferrari I saw in CM some years ago with a grubby barboy lying all over it as the owner lovingly photographed number 6 for the week, knows, you don't if you have any brains at all, drive something that attracts that sort of attention. Hold that line if you are a senior police officer, which the owner of this effort definitely was not.

Police officers can drive what they want/can afford and no one screws with the vehicle as it has an identifier on it, as you know quite well. :o

it man, i agree that such cars are pointless in thailand, as they cannot be driven in the manner that they were built to be driven,even in europe these days they are pretty well redundant and the only possible reason for owning one would be to announce ones wealth. the attention they attract would put me off even if i could afford one. what we need is a car that performs and drives like a porsche but looks like a toyota taxi and costs the same as a tuk-tuk. :o

I take it that some think that everyone would like a Porsche and if they say NO then they are just to poor to own one,,I have had 2 of the superior engineered pieces of shit, all they are ,are expensive VWs,anything that requires the maint. of a porsche 911 is a piece of shit.

If you want superior handling and speed then get a Dodge Viper or a Shelby Cobra,and then you have a real ride and just part of the maint. costs.

And due to the fact that you will be putting your life in more danger here in Thailand,I can not see where anyone would buy one or want one,,there is no such thing as driving for pleasure in Thailand.

The most useful advise was about buying a used APC or a full battle tank,now thats a very good idea if you want to spend a lot of time on the hyways and come out of it alive. :o

Guest IT Manager

For the record, posted here, I work in one, and I didn't mean guests were rich ergo stupid at all, though I agree it would have been read that way.

I re-read the post I had under the hotels, and yes it was churlish so I edited it.

It actually has little to do with jealousy, but things being as they are, I hardly expect you to either believe or understand that. Suffice it to say I am not, and a couple of friends who have visited me know ###### well that jealousy isn't part of what I am or what I do.

Again I doubt I will see acceptance of that, but hey, who really cares what you think at the end of the day. I certainly don't, and you will note again for the record pet, that I haven't edited your snide aside, including your spelling errors, which may or may not be the result of your education.

In conclusion, 2 out of 772 with OMG!! a pastiche of my "supposed" nature isn't too bad in my humble opinion.

IT

(A humble old man, settled into life out of the fast lane, and glad to be who and where he is.)

If you want superior handling and speed then get a Dodge Viper or a Shelby Cobra

america excels at many things, however building exciting,well designed,energy efficient,and reliable automobiles is not one of them.

american cars are the worlds worst,they are just about unmarketable outside the usa.

chrysler may,thanks to the take over by mercedes benz, be starting to produce better products, but gm and ford...... dinosaurs,on the verge of extinction.

soon you will all be driving toyotas and hondas and bmws over there. :o

Whatever luxury you car you end up buying make sure that it has an excellent air conditioning system and a half decent in car entertainment wireless.

If funds run to it why not go the whole hog and get a D.V.D player so you can watch your favourite movie or two while you are stuck in the "rot dit"

Guest IT Manager

My son and I debated the genesis of "rot dit" recently.

Cars stick was the end product. sounds like the big mango on any Sunday..or any day for that matter.. :-(

TAXEXILE; I do not think you read or understand the origional post,,the guy ain't looking for an energy efficent,reliable automobile,He wants a 911 Porsche to drive in Thailand, which is not either one, if that is what he was looking for he would be looking for a Honda or a Toyota.

And if you think that a Viper or a Shelby Cobra is a badly designed piece of machinery you are very wrong,and must not have ever driven either one.and cost about the same as a 911.and the big block mopars are a lot more dependable than a Porsche ever will be.

and since Chrysler merged with Damler they have not improved one iota and if anything,have lost ground in the muscle car industry.