What Is The Most Famous Laptop Brand For Bangkok Users?

greenpower4ever

Acer, but do not confuse fame with quality. They are cheap but also low quality.

Absolutely correct. If you want a good relaible laptop for use in Thailand, focus on Asus (name is similar to Acer, but nothing else is) or Toshiba. They are the most reliable computers on the market, and each has models with all of the features you may require. People say that Dell has an excellent service network in Thailand, but with Dell I think you will need to rely on them frequently. I am typing this reply on a 1.5 year old Dell and it is crap. It will be replaced very soon (given to my 3 year old as a "toy") for an Asus or Toshiba. I had a Lenovo before which was absolutely terrible (I hear that they have improved), and I had high expectations for Dell. I have been very disappointed with Dell service.

I think if you do a little google work yourself you can find some useful stats on the computer market in thailand

http://www.asianewsn...ws.php?id=16161

http://www.bangkokpo...place-in-market

Acer, HP, then Lenovo, Asus

Thanks for the links, seems like Acer, Dell, Asus & Lenova are the leading consumer brands besides others. HP is popular for the corporate world due to global contract with major MNCs that I'm aware of.

Acer, but do not confuse fame with quality. They are cheap but also low quality.

I had high expectations for Dell. I have been very disappointed with Dell service.

Thailaw, what was your bad experience with Dell service? Dell offers direct delivery service right to your doorstep after you placed order to them 7 days. This isn't any other laptop brand can service though.

I'd have to go with Dell . . . more expensive than Acer but well worth the money.

How many years you have been using Dell? No problems or any service issues?

Over the past 10 years or so I've had every major brand and had issues with them all apart from Compaq and Dell with which I've had no problems at all (other than HD issues which are par for the course on occasion).

Based on a poll of a number of friends who all use laptops for programming/working continuously, the 'best' around at the moment in terms of reliability, quality, value for money etc etc is hands-down Dell and I've have to agree with that. If you've come from the "west" you might not have a very high opinion of Dell, but I'd certainly suggest that this is undeserved now, they've come a long way and now exceed most other manufacturers in terms of quality and reliability etc.

Just my two pennies (baht) . . .

Based on a poll of a number of friends who all use laptops for programming/working continuously, the 'best' around at the moment in terms of reliability, quality, value for money etc etc is hands-down Dell and I've have to agree with that. If you've come from the "west" you might not have a very high opinion of Dell, but I'd certainly suggest that this is undeserved now, they've come a long way and now exceed most other manufacturers in terms of quality and reliability etc.

Most likely has to do with Michael Dell coming back to the company. Dell was crap for a few years while he was gone, quality going down, and service going from one of the best to one of the worst. I don't know about service but Dell built his business on making high quality products. Dell doesn't invent anything - in fact they're proud of having no R&D budget to speak of - but they used to make some solid computers. Guess they're back to that now, good to know.

I am not so sure about service in Thailand though - do they have service centers here? Do they fix things here?

Acer are kind of crap quality - they're also the cheapest, and there's a direct relationship here. Service is good though, and easy to come by. Acer used to make high end models too but I don't see them for sale in Thailand anymore, and maybe they've just given up on it.

All the cool kids, and those who can afford it, are buying Apples of course. Great quality too, service is pretty good but hampered by the fact that there is no official Apple owned Apple store in Thailand. So you have to put up with the authorized dealers, and it's hit and miss. Sometimes they provide excellent service for a great price. Other times they have to wait for parts from Singapore.

Thanks all for your input on the wide selection of laptop brands here.

I just found out that Asus is ranked #1 in most reliable manufacturer for 3 years malfunction rate, no wonder they are offering 2 years international warranty instead of normal standard 1 year from the rest.

Source: http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/laptop-reliability-1109/

Source: http://www.rescuecom.com/blog/index.php/computer-support/the-rescuecom-computer-reliability-report-2nd-quarter-2010

Well, this will help me a lot for my choice of laptop.

Most likely has to do with Michael Dell coming back to the company. Dell was crap for a few years while he was gone, quality going down, and service going from one of the best to one of the worst. I don't know about service but Dell built his business on making high quality products. Dell doesn't invent anything - in fact they're proud of having no R&D budget to speak of - but they used to make some solid computers. Guess they're back to that now, good to know.

I am not so sure about service in Thailand though - do they have service centers here? Do they fix things here?

Dell has excellent service in Thailand, all their laptops come with 1-year on-sire service, so if you have any problems you call them and they will come to your place usually within one day, no matter where you live! I know a couple of people living on Koh Tao who have used this service and the technician showed up within one day which is very impressive. You describe over the phone what the symptoms are and the technician brings all the spare parts he can possibly need, one of my friends on Koh Tao got his laptop monitor changed on the spot, another got his graphics card changed. Very very good service.

If I were to buy a budget laptop today I would buy Lenovo for sure, their cheap models have similar specs to Acers and they are better quality. If I would spend 20-25k I would go for a Dell Inspiron N5010, they come with legal Windows 7 unlike most others in that price range, and decent specs.

Been using Lenovo's for the office and myself for the past 3 years, good service at the Pantip service center as well. One note though the last 2 ideapad's out of 3 we have purchased(including the one I am working on now) had issues with the fans from the start, apparently it is a manufacturing issue causing the Laptop to shut down due to incorrect temp readings being sent. While we were there 2 other people came in with the same problem. Apparently the newest batch has fixed this issue though.

I had high expectations for Dell. I have been very disappointed with Dell service.

Thailaw, what was your bad experience with Dell service? Dell offers direct delivery service right to your doorstep after you placed order to them 7 days. This isn't any other laptop brand can service though.

Within 10 to 15 days of receiving my brand new Dell (Latitude D630, about 1 and 1/2 years ago), I started having serious problems with the keyboard. If the cursor was just resting over a switch, it would "connect" without me doing anything, in some cases ruining work (thank God for the "undo" key). The computer technician in my office looked at it and agreed there was a problem. He was sure that Dell would replace the computer, since I had just gotten it. He called the Dell service center, and they sent someone to the office the next morning. The technician replaced some parts, but not the computer. The problem was lessened, but not fixed completely. Yes, door to door service, but not the service I would expect. No more Dell for me. Choosing a computer is not a popularity contest, and I see no reason to repeat other's mistakes (even if a lot of people make them). The most trouble free laptops are Asus and Toshiba. More than one half of all HP and Compaq computers die within the first 2 years of ownership (at least that is what I have read). Acer is low quality at a low price -- many people are attracted by the low price, so the stats may show "popularity". As I said, my next computer will be Asus or Toshiba, and from everything I have read I will not be disappointed.

Within 10 to 15 days of receiving my brand new Dell (Latitude D630, about 1 and 1/2 years ago), I started having serious problems with the keyboard. If the cursor was just resting over a switch, it would "connect" without me doing anything, in some cases ruining work (thank God for the "undo" key). The computer technician in my office looked at it and agreed there was a problem. He was sure that Dell would replace the computer, since I had just gotten it. He called the Dell service center, and they sent someone to the office the next morning. The technician replaced some parts, but not the computer. The problem was lessened, but not fixed completely. Yes, door to door service, but not the service I would expect. No more Dell for me. Choosing a computer is not a popularity contest, and I see no reason to repeat other's mistakes (even if a lot of people make them). The most trouble free laptops are Asus and Toshiba. More than one half of all HP and Compaq computers die within the first 2 years of ownership (at least that is what I have read). Acer is low quality at a low price -- many people are attracted by the low price, so the stats may show "popularity". As I said, my next computer will be Asus or Toshiba, and from everything I have read I will not be disappointed.

Thanks, Thailaw for your sharing!

I was toying in between Dell & Asus when I first started this post, after some survey from the computer shops, research from the web, and comments posted by these 2 forums, I got my answer already. :D

10 Q 10 Q all Thai Visa members for your input de.

Lenovo (not the cheapest series Lenovos, they are so-so, but mid-range and up) or Toshiba for build quality. ASUS for specs for money (but from experience, some of their models have a build quality problem, don't order a model you havent had a chance to test hands on). You don't want something with flimsy plastic. Acer/Dell I would not personally buy even though they also have individual models that aren't bad.

Thanks, Thailaw for your sharing!

I was toying in between Dell & Asus when I first started this post, after some survey from the computer shops, research from the web, and comments posted by these 2 forums, I got my answer already. :D

http://www.thaivisa....-bangkok-users/

10 Q 10 Q all Thai Visa members for your input de.

Re-post the missing link

http://forum.lowyat....8&hl=happy4ever

• 2 weeks later...

Acer is number one. Recently at work and home we got Lenovo, Asus and Dell. Asus and Lenovo are both better value for money and feel better quality although the Dell is OK just not as good specs, slower and feels poorer quality. They were all same price range.

I've said it before here, but here goes. I have an Asus netbook after HP 12" pc and an Acer 10" nb. I love it. New battery technology, very light and great life although its rarely off AC. Asus is quality and for yrs built the best HW. Asus shell and exterior design has come a long way, I'm 100% happy w/ keyboard, functions, USB. Performance a bit pokey but I can multitask it pretty hard running multimedia, Internet, document open and maybe even a bunch of images from my last trip (have 2gb RAM). Acer and Dell are crap. HP can be OK. Forget the Thai brands. BTW - Asus had Intl wty card even though I got it in US.

Fuji and Sony - are tits!