Chinese Embassy

bangkok blue

The visa office is open 9:00am-11:30am, 3:00pm-4:00pm (for visa pick-up only), Monday through Friday

They have a lot of visa types.

If your looking at the "L" visa which is the basic tourist 90 day type visa it's $130 USD for US citizens.

4 day turnaround. Not cheap at all.

Not sure about the price for UK passport holders.

It's kind of complicated.. Some places a person can go with no visa for 2 weeks like Hainen island and maybe some other places.

That seems very expensive! so the cheapest visa is nearly 4,000 baht? Are Americans being singled out or is the price simiar for other nationalities? Also does anyone have more info on visa free Hainan? I've often thought with the border being so close to Chiang Mai and a consulate in town, I ought to go there, but 4,000 baht is a bit steep!

it's significantly cheaper for other countries. About a thousand baht for most other countries single entry.

It's a little bit strange. The cheapest single entry visa for a US citizen is $130. For the longer term L visa's the price does not go up. They are all $130. So I guess they are encouraging Americans to stay longer.

The other countries start cheap but then scale up to $90 USD for the longer term L visa. ( i.e. 12 to 24 months)

China Visa type L

It's a lot steeper than $130. I paid close to 4500 baht last March 2010. For most 1st timers to China I believe, the visa is only for a 1 month so they aren't looking for foreigners staying long term. Because I have a Thai retirement visa, they said I could get a 6 month double entry 90 day visa. During the summer, I was told that it went up another 300 or 400 baht so it is now between $160 - $170, if it hasn't gone up further. As of March 2010, the cost for most not US citizens was about 1/4 of that. There is supposedly a sign at the consulate that says "blame your (USA) government for the high cost of the visa.

Edited by vagabond48

I just applied for one the other day. I am US citizen and as I recall is 4560 baht. They said I could get 6 month multi entry, but only 30 days each stay.

Price for US citizens higher because OF US proces Chinese citizens to get visa to US.

Will pick up Tuesday.

Yes, the price hike for US citizens was a direct quid pro quo for something that originated in the States. The Chinese response appears to have been "okay, well, we're raising our rates." It happened a couple of years ago; I've spent a few minutes with Google but can't come up with the specific incident.

Do I gather from the previous postings that it's no longer possible to get the one day express (drop off in the morning and pick up after three) from the Chiang Mai PRC Consulate? It was a bit more expensive but quite convenient.

Maybe if the USA and UK would start to charge reasonable visa fees - others might follow.

It's OK for us, but not for them.....right? wink.gif

I'm sure Obama discussed this over dinner.

For UK citizens it is fine---only 1100B. I have both US and UK passports and I tried to get them to give me a visa in my UK passport. They refused because I had entered Thailand on my US passport. So I had to pay about 4500B---a "special" rate that only applies to US passports.

They said I could get 6 month multi entry, but only 30 days each stay.

When I applied for my 6 month visa last March here in CM, the application had the additional option of double 90 day entries. I hope that will be still available when I return to China the middle of March.

They said I could get 6 month multi entry, but only 30 days each stay.

When I applied for my 6 month visa last March here in CM, the application had the additional option of double 90 day entries.

It seems to have a lot to do with your visa status in Thailand.

First time I applied I was in Thailand on the visa-exempt basis and they would only do a single entry to China.

Second time I was here on non-O and had the 6 month with options described above and was in fact given the double 90 days without asking.

Now I travel on a one year business F multiple entry issued in the States. Prices roughly the same and express service available.

I'm sure the subject came up during the recent state visit; both President Obama and Hu Jintao are known to be avid followers of this forum.

I'm sure the subject came up during the recent state visit; both President Obama and Hu Jintao are known to be avid followers of this forum.

Actually when I was in China last year, I did have a private audience with my good friend Hu to politely complain about the high visa cost for US cits. He felt a bit embarrassed and gave me a lifetime visa at no charge and yes, he follows this forum and will look into give us US cits with Thai visas a much better rate. What a guy!

• 1 month later...

I just applied for one the other day. I am US citizen and as I recall is 4560 baht. They said I could get 6 month multi entry, but only 30 days each stay.

Price for US citizens higher because OF US proces Chinese citizens to get visa to US.

Will pick up Tuesday.

I just picked my visa up today and yes it still 4560baht for US citizens. I got the 6 month visa. You have a choice of multiple entries of 30 days or double entry of 90 days. Because this was my 2nd Chinese visa, I was hoping for a 1 year visa but they said no can do.