Few Questions For The Established Expats

Apologies if any of this has been covered extensively in other topics. Appreciate any feedback from the expat locals on the questions below. I'm going to be buying a condo in the near future. Condo will be (at this point anyway) used for a holiday home and will remain empty for the majority of the year. I am also not buying as an investment - just a place I can call home for a few weeks of the year. I would also be buying cash (no mortgage etc). Would be looking for higher floors (no ground level).

Which is better in terms of convenience (access to amenities etc) & security (left most of the year), Phuket or Koh Samui?

Can a one bedroom (not studio) be purchased for 2.5m? Would it be a new build? How much is the average cost of a 1 bedroom with sea views?

What would be a good amount to cover interior design, decoration, and furnishing? (to a good quality)(fitted bathroom costs/kitchen costs?)

How much of the total purchase cost is needed to be added to cover taxes/legal fees/etc? would another 50% of the purchase cost cover everything?

Can any of the members recommend developments/developers in both these places?

Any feedback on Kalara group as a developer?

Average monthly total cost (USD) in keeping a condo empty? (appreciate an answer to this by any forum members who do the same)

Can utility bills be paid monthly by standing order/direct debit from a Thai bank account?

Is it possible to get a trustworthy maid to come in once a week to clean while I'm not there?

Thanks

Although ccarbaugh's post was a little abrupt, he does have a point.

If you are here for such a short period of time every year, and it's not an investment and will be empty for the remainder of the year, it really (to me) doesn't make sense to purchase a property here.

Why not simply use a serviced apartment for the few weeks that you ARE here each time? It'll save you a whole hell of a lot of money and hassles.

If you are here for such a short period of time every year, and it's not an investment and will be empty for the remainder of the year, it really (to me) doesn't make sense to purchase a property here.

Why not simply use a serviced apartment for the few weeks that you ARE here each time? It'll save you a whole hell of a lot of money and hassles.

fees and cost to keep a small condo would be like 50k baht/year if everything is smooth

same amount as a serviced poolside apartment for 2 months a year

so if the purchase is not an investment, I would rent

Huge difference between Phuket and Koh Samui as far as where you will be spending your holiday. If you have not already done so, I'd advise spending a week or two in each place before deciding where to buy.

Also if you only plan to buy it to spend a couple weeks a year there - wouldn't it make much more financial sense to rent???

fees and cost to keep a small condo would be like 50k baht/year if everything is smooth

same amount as a serviced poolside apartment for 2 months a year

so if the purchase is not an investment, I would rent

Not all property purchases are based on $$ considerations. It will just be different to brag about staying in a serviced apartment compared with owning a pad...:rolleyes:

Not all property purchases are based on $$ considerations. It will just be different to brag about staying in a serviced apartment compared with owning a pad...:rolleyes:

So it's a "more money than sense" thing? :) . . . wish I had enough to go wasting it like that lol

thanks to the few posters who gave relevant info.

To the rest, yes I have been to Thailand. I work in a country relatively close to Thailand. I stay in a service apartment here, and would really like a place I can call my own. There are flights to both places mentioned from where I work so getting there would be easy enough. I say, "2 weeks of the year," as a generalization - I have no idea how long I will end up staying there; and if I am not there, I'm sure my retired parents would love to be able to stay there.

Appreciate any more advice - as long as it's on topic.

thanks to the few posters who gave relevant info.

To the rest, yes I have been to Thailand. I work in a country relatively close to Thailand. I stay in a service apartment here, and would really like a place I can call my own. There are flights to both places mentioned from where I work so getting there would be easy enough. I say, "2 weeks of the year," as a generalization - I have no idea how long I will end up staying there; and if I am not there, I'm sure my retired parents would love to be able to stay there.

Appreciate any more advice - as long as it's on topic.

I have only one advice for you. Buy only a condo unit that is already completely constructed and ready for title transfer, and not off plan, or else you will risk paying for some very expensive brochure. Believe not those colourful brochure or website imagery. Visit the development, its location and the surrounding neighbouring conditions. A condo is communal living and it pays to know what environment you will be living in.

And if the development is on a hillside, read this before you decide purchasing - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Towers_collapse

Edited by trogers

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no yearly property taxes in Thailand. And condo maintenance fees are very low. So carrying costs are very, very low in Thailand. If you don't completely overpay, it's not a bad place to park some money.

2.5M seems very low. The only places at this price range seem tiny. Like, 40 sqm. Don't think of "1 bedroom/2 bedroom". Real estate is purchased based on square meters you get. (You can divide you that area into 1/2 dozen shoe box 'bedrooms' - that is a meaningless term.)

• 2 weeks later...

Which is better in terms of convenience (access to amenities etc) & security (left most of the year), Phuket or Koh Samui?

They are similar, although Phuket in my experience is more expensive. Amenities etc are similar for both, security depends on the complex and the management of the complex.

Can a one bedroom (not studio) be purchased for 2.5m? Would it be a new build? How much is the average cost of a 1 bedroom with sea views?

It is probably a bit light on. A good 1 b/room that you would actually want to live in and meets your security criteria would be in excess of 4-5 mill. +++ I have a friend in Phuket whose unit has sea vies, is 1 b/room and cost 10 million baht. Its upmarket, so it depends on what you are used to.

What would be a good amount to cover interior design, decoration, and furnishing? (to a good quality)(fitted bathroom costs/kitchen costs?)

It depends on your ideas of what is acceptable or desirable. A new bathroom fitout would be around 150,000 baht ++++, kitchen about the same. Furnishing, basically how much do you want to spend? You can get adequate furnishings for probably 30,000 baht, but you could go overboard and spend 1,000,000 on furnishings. A sofa could cost you 10,000 baht or 250,000 baht. A bed could cost you 20,000 baht easily. Sheets, towels etc, would cost you 1000 baht a set of decent sheets +++.

How much of the total purchase cost is needed to be added to cover taxes/legal fees/etc? would another 50% of the purchase cost cover everything?

More than cover everything.

The best thing is for you to see what falls into your budget and where you are more comfortable. Spend a month and look at every option. There's a lot available.

-

Average monthly total cost (USD) in keeping a condo empty? (appreciate an answer to this by any forum members who do the same)

Owned outright or mortgaged ? If owned outright, you'll have Body Corporate (management) fees of around 1500 baht per month ++, electricity should be minor, and insurance. Yes, get insurance cover.

Can utility bills be paid monthly by standing order/direct debit from a Thai bank account?

Get the Building management office to handle that for you.

Is it possible to get a trustworthy maid to come in once a week to clean while I'm not there?

Why would you bother ? When you return, have the Building Management office arrange it for you.

They are similar, although Phuket in my experience is more expensive. Amenities etc are similar for both, security depends on the complex and the management of the complex.

It is probably a bit light on. A good 1 b/room that you would actually want to live in and meets your security criteria would be in excess of 4-5 mill. +++ I have a friend in Phuket whose unit has sea vies, is 1 b/room and cost 10 million baht. Its upmarket, so it depends on what you are used to.

It depends on your ideas of what is acceptable or desirable. A new bathroom fitout would be around 150,000 baht ++++, kitchen about the same. Furnishing, basically how much do you want to spend? You can get adequate furnishings for probably 30,000 baht, but you could go overboard and spend 1,000,000 on furnishings. A sofa could cost you 10,000 baht or 250,000 baht. A bed could cost you 20,000 baht easily. Sheets, towels etc, would cost you 1000 baht a set of decent sheets +++.

More than cover everything.

The best thing is for you to see what falls into your budget and where you are more comfortable. Spend a month and look at every option. There's a lot available.

-

Owned outright or mortgaged ? If owned outright, you'll have Body Corporate (management) fees of around 1500 baht per month ++, electricity should be minor, and insurance. Yes, get insurance cover.

Get the Building management office to handle that for you.

Why would you bother ? When you return, have the Building Management office arrange it for you.

Thanks very much London.