How Bad Is It For The Expats In Chiang Mai

newbie001

This year, I have been approached or witnessed at least 6 different expats here in chiangmai offering some kind of tour. One guy was trying to get people to go to Temples. One guy was doing bike tours, and another doing cooking tours to markets. I think that it is a sure sign that they are too many desperate for cash. I am pretty fed up with loser ex pat touts poaching money from hard working Thais that need the money. It is not like tour operators make a fortune

I can remember Westerners 20 years ago going to the railway station and convincing travelers to go to guest houses where they got a commission and some of them bringing newbies to night establishments that did the same thing. There is nothing new about any of this.

I did what any law abiding citizen should do. I took their photos and submitted to the authorities. I hope that they get deported.

Wow, what a good citizen......and thanks for guiding us regarding what we should do too.

Yeah let's all buy cameras and hunt down these scum, report them or drag them to the police if necessary, get them kicked out screaming....yeah let's do it, cos we want to be the honest clean living guys, with good consciences.

It's not legal for them to do that... but live and let live. Many people would get quite a good tour from a knowledgeable expat. And it's sure better than bait-n-switch Thai operations that send you to wrong temples followed by suit stores and special 'one-time' gem buying opportunities.

I did what any law abiding citizen should do. I took their photos and submitted to the authorities. I hope that they get deported.

And there criminal offence was precisely what? Presumably you checked to make sure they did not have a work permit.

Point of order ----- (and I hate to break this to you ...) but you probably don't qualify to use the word 'citizen' in this instance :)

The fun result of something as silly as this, would be

1) The story is true

and

2) The farang in question was 'connected'

(neither are really likely)

And there criminal offence was precisely what? Presumably you checked to make sure they did not have a work permit.

DB - Tour guides are a banned occupation for farang's, but as realthaideal states, they would probably be knowledgeable and do a good job.

Edited by uptheos

Been here only a year and they made you the town sherrif already ? Good for you.

DB - Tour guides are a banned occupation for farang's, but as realthaideal states, they would probably be knowledgeable and do a good job.

Well, you learn something every day, I stand corrected, thank you. Personally, I vote with my feet, if there is something I don't like then I dont go back. In 20 odd years here tho I have only been touted once and that was for a dodgy substance.

Been here only a year and they made you the town sherrif already ? Good for you."

So anyone who lived in Thailand became a TV member the same day?

How stupid logic is that?

I have been a permanent resident for more than 5 years. I have lived here for more than 14years total and 9 years straight without leaving.

I also think that it is pretty lame for any foreigner here to take jobs and money from Thais that are on the low pay scale. It is not like they are competing with middle class. They are taking money from the ones that need the money.

I don't personally care how good or knowledgeable an expat is, they just shouldn't do jobs that they are not allowed to.

It reminds me of illegal immigrants in USA, probably the same people that think it is ok for them to do it here are the ones that hate Mexicans from doing it in the US or the equivalent group in their home country

Wow, what a good citizen......and thanks for guiding us regarding what we should do too.

Yeah let's all buy cameras and hunt down these scum, report them or drag them to the police if necessary, get them kicked out screaming....yeah let's do it, cos we want to be the honest clean living guys, with good consciences.

You`re just a big softy.

I say; lock them up in a Thai jail. Torture them until they`re eyes bulge, then execute the bastards.

I'm not certain that the thinking of OP is wrong. Naturally, one is sympathetic for the folks trying to pick up a little change. "Kick him when he's down" is a thought.

Thing is that I've a life to live and reporting farang who are harming Thailand one way and another would take too much time.

Cases in point? - Motor cycling folks who speed all over - often in small herds - breaking Thai laws and those of their home countries, where they'd end up in jails. Lotta drunking and driving late at night too. Proud of it. Lot of them with "nanny state" on their lips to excuse themselves.

My own compromise, yes, is like that of many - look the other way. Based mostly on what I suppose to be easiest for me. Too, I worry that I feel "more" for my fellow westerners than Thais. Then I think "mai pen rai" is native wisdom for a calm soul, represents letting go of being in charge. I mean, this is somewhat deeper than derision. Maybe.

And I did what any farang member of this forum should do.I put you on the ignore list.Hope you get in trouble one day yourself.

Vacationing in Pai, we found some young, attractive western women passing out leaflets for a local music spot. When one of these lovelies offered a flyer to Hubby (clearly not the bar's target audience) he politely asked her if she had a work permit and did she know she risked being deported for doing work in Thailand. She seemed genuinely surprised. She thought she was just earning a day's living expense doing a couple hours of enjoyable work.

I am pretty fed up with loser ex pat touts poaching money from hard working Thais that need the money. It is not like tour operators make a fortune.
I also think that it is pretty lame for any foreigner here to take jobs and money from Thais that are on the low pay scale. It is not like they are competing with middle class. They are taking money from the ones that need the money.

I don't personally care how good or knowledgeable an expat is, they just shouldn't do jobs that they are not allowed to.

My friend, I really think you should take up a hobby as stressing over stuff like this is conducive to heart failure (with a bit of luck). Grow up and stop polluting the airways. Btw, I hope you fall on hard times some day. ;)

Vacationing in Pai, we found some young, attractive western women passing out leaflets for a local music spot. When one of these lovelies offered a flyer to Hubby (clearly not the bar's target audience) he politely asked her if she had a work permit and did she know she risked being deported for doing work in Thailand. She seemed genuinely surprised. She thought she was just earning a day's living expense doing a couple hours of enjoyable work.

Killjoy! I remember as a young man working on a freind's father's ranch in Mexico. I think I put in about a kilometer of fenceposts. Got room and board, free beer and a few bucks to woo the local senoriitas. Had no idea what the immigration rules were and didn't care either. Just a young person looking for some fun.

I really am surprised that all of you have no regard for the law or do you all believe that your western superiority gives you the right to do whatever you want in someone else's country?

I wonder if you have the same feeling for illegal workers in your own country?

JackR (you call me friend then hope that I fall on hard times, with friends like you who needs enemies?)

If I do fall on hard times, I wouldn't stay in a foreign country and be a blight on an already impoverished nation by doing work that should be preserved for the locals.

If it were just a case of blind ignorance, I could easily forgive that, but these touts willfully know that they are breaking the law but feel that they have every right to.

It isn't like they own a business and are competing with other businesses. They are taking work from lower paid people making less than 500 baht a day.

If people like that want to run a business and hire Thais to do it but go along and help with translation or things, that is fine.

Just reeks of desperation something that I haven't seen here until recently.

Ulyses states that he has seen people do this for more than 20 years, but this year is the most that I have seen. I just think that it is sad that people cannot think of better ways to make a living.

I am pretty fed up with loser ex pat touts poaching money from hard working Thais that need the money. It is not like tour operators make a fortune.

My friend, I really think you should take up a hobby as stressing over stuff like this is conducive to heart failure (with a bit of luck). Grow up and stop polluting the airways. Btw, I hope you fall on hard times some day. ;)

:)

Concur,

btw --- afaik being a tour guide would be illegal for a foreigner (even though all the big companies dealing with other asians tend to use non-WP'd "step-on'guides", But a foreigner, i believe, is allowed to both have a WP and own a tour agency. Though, in theory, he couldn't ring up a sale, he probably could talk to people about what he offers :)

I read a bit of the OP's posting history ---- it seems that many things that foreigners do makes him upset. (and a few things that make me doubt his veracity in this thread) :)

I really am surprised that all of you have no regard for the law or do you all believe that your western superiority gives you the right to do whatever you want in someone else's country?

I wonder if you have the same feeling for illegal workers in your own country?

JackR (you call me friend then hope that I fall on hard times, with friends like you who needs enemies?)

If I do fall on hard times, I wouldn't stay in a foreign country and be a blight on an already impoverished nation by doing work that should be preserved for the locals.

If it were just a case of blind ignorance, I could easily forgive that, but these touts willfully know that they are breaking the law but feel that they have every right to.

It isn't like they own a business and are competing with other businesses. They are taking work from lower paid people making less than 500 baht a day.

If people like that want to run a business and hire Thais to do it but go along and help with translation or things, that is fine.

Just reeks of desperation something that I haven't seen here until recently.

Ulyses states that he has seen people do this for more than 20 years, but this year is the most that I have seen. I just think that it is sad that people cannot think of better ways to make a living.

Admirable but I'm not sure what Thailand you think you live in. You clearly don't know how much a tour guide would earn in a day. Furthermore if you had any real first-hand knowledge of local workers here you would'nt be blowing your feathers out like a peacock proclaiming the high road.

I have many many friends in manufacturing here as well as one's who own local business's. Chiang Mai workers are widely known to be the worst, laziest workers in all of Thailand, and that's saying something. Nevermind comparing to China or Vietnam. If you have'nt noticed, Vietnam

is kicking Thailand's ass every which way upside down and back and forth in regards to foreign investment. There is a reason. End of rant on that subject.

However, having said that.... If any farang were directly taking food off a local person's dinner table they'd be dealt with quicker than a rabbit get's um..intimate. In my opinion a farang using his initiative & entrepreneurial skills can only improve the locals situation by example & hopefully rubbing off on them.

Edited by cm96