First Abs Emergency Stop, Wow!

prestburypark

Had to do an emergency stop yesterday, full power front and rear as a plonker pulled out in front of me, and a truck driving next to me, which I was overtaking, did'nt notice my speed ( I guess 50k) but it was definitly a moment of interest!

The ABS on the Versys clicked away like hell, stopped me in a true straight line much quicker than I imagined and sighs of relief all round.

What a fantastic system to have on a bike, and I had barely given it a thought. My practise emergency stops were obviously well pussified compared to the real thing, totally stable and very reassuring to know how well it works...go try yours out properly if like me you've been a bit gentle with it so far,

happy trails,

PP

They are impressive. I have the Honda Fury with the ABS. I have had to make 2 emergency stops once in a hard ran. Both times I was around 60 KPH but the time it was raining I had a truck with trailer pull out of a field and blocked the road. Still touched his front wheel but I know had I been on any of the other bikes I had in the past it would not have been pretty.

Lets hope the guy behind you has equally impressive brakes.

Reminds me of a funny accident I saw while on a breakfast run back home about 6/7 years ago.

Lead rider in a group of BMW's had a new ABS fitted model followed by mostly older classic BMW's, all doing about 100km/h when the lead guy did an emergency stop for a dassie(squirel sized animal) , needless to say the 2 of the guys following didn't have the same stopping power. No injuries but many bruised ego's biggrin.gif

Reminds me of a funny accident I saw while on a breakfast run back home about 6/7 years ago.

Lead rider in a group of BMW's had a new ABS fitted model followed by mostly older classic BMW's, all doing about 100km/h when the lead guy did an emergency stop for a dassie(squirel sized animal) , needless to say the 2 of the guys following didn't have the same stopping power. No injuries but many bruised ego's biggrin.gif

Lucky it wasn't the Dassie's closest living relative on the road. :rolleyes:

Thats the advantage and the risk of ABS.

I an emergency situation it can be a real great advantage, but in such emergency situations you normaly not have the time to look what or who is behind you

and that can get really worse......whistling.gif

ABS has saved me twice now, although it is a bit disconcerting for an experienced rider when you are squeezing and nothing is happening. Good thing the Versys has it as the brakes feel like wood and unless EBC pads fix it I am going to fit better brakes.

Not sold on linked brakes however, and would prefer individual control over each end, but this is not for the inexperienced, nor perhaps most effective in emergency stops.

ABS has saved me twice now, although it is a bit disconcerting for an experienced rider when you are squeezing and nothing is happening. Good thing the Versys has it as the brakes feel like wood and unless EBC pads fix it I am going to fit better brakes.

Not sold on linked brakes however, and would prefer individual control over each end, but this is not for the inexperienced, nor perhaps most effective in emergency stops.

Did you break in the brake pads? I never had this problem on the er6n but on the versys the brakes were pretty crap until i did a break in run. Now they are fine, still seem a bit weaker than on the er6 but that might just be due to the softer feeling with the suspension. I think its the same model and brand but if the brakes on the er6n felt 100%, the ones on the versys feel 90%.