Chiang Rai. Is It Safe

Koh_Falang

Does anyone have more information about travel to the Chiang Rai and the surrounding area?

Is there anything i should watch out for. I am going on the 1st of Jan and just want to make sure its safe to do so. I have heard alot of 'stories' about dangers on the borders. Can anyone confirm that this a dangerous area? Or is it tame and safe.

If there is a related thread, can someone please direct me there or any information would be greatly appreciated.

Guest IT Manager

There isn't any related threads, but would be happy to discuss it in MSN Messenger if you use it.

CR is a lovely area, with heaps to see, and lots of things to do. Enjoy it.

Don't do drugs would be my only reservation. They seem quite tough on it there. :o

I can see nothing to be afraid of there,I think it is a wonderful place with nice climate,might like to live there someday when my wife finishes work and can retire.

But like has been said,,do not do drugs anywhere in thailand as you could lose your head. :o

I have a house an hour south of Chiang Rai. Was just in Mae Sai last month along the Thai-Burma border.

Really no danger up in the area as long as you stay on the beaten track. You will run into various checkpoints in the area. Basiclally they are checking for drugs and sometimes illegal aliens. Make sure you carry your ID with you and stay away from drugs.

I believe Chiang rai is quite safe ,at night and during the day.I never had any problems during the 6 months I lived there.However,I was warned not to wander around by myself at night in a small Thai-Leu village east of the city as I ,a falang,might be robbed.

As others have stated ,do not get involved in drugs.I saw the result of drug initiated violence:a female student had a pistol shoved in her mouth,resulting in a neat exit lesion just below her jaw.Small calibre pistol most likely.

Remember ,local buses ,including song thaow[is that the right spelling?],stop running after 5pm.

yes as the Doc pointed out Chiang Rai is a nice place and all the times I have been there wandering around the hills I have never felt unsafe. But I dont tend to do anything stupid when I travel, like get too drunk or do drugs...that is asking for trouble. If yo uare driving you should do a few laps around the countryside. You could drive to Chiang Khong, Chiang Saen and Mae Sai easily. it is easy with a good map. I would also advise you to drive up to Doi Mae Salong. It is a beautiful village that runs along a moutnain ridge overlooking a huge valley. It was inhabited by KMT (Kuomintang) the army and folowers of Chiang Kai Chek before Mao Zedong threw them out of China. You caneat Yunnan noodles at night insmall restaurants just like China. Inthe day time there are loads of Akha women selling stuff in marketstalls and jsut about everywhere else. There is no nite life excpet for a couple of Karaoke bars which are good fun. It is quite cold at night and warm and sunny during the day. great place. One night is enough. Or if you have a warm woman and a good book stay a week. :o