2 Way Internet Over Satellite

oilreg

I'm not aware of 2-way Internet satellite providers around here (doesn't mean they are not here) but just wanted to point out the Bluetooth / cell phone connection option if you have cell phone range where you are. When I go up country to our cabin with no phone line ADSL I bring my notebook and connect to my cell phone to get online.It's slower (similar to dial-up speed) but does the job. I believe this way to be significantly less expensive than a 2-way satellite setup if they are here.

I'm not aware of 2-way Internet satellite providers around here (doesn't mean they are not here) but just wanted to point out the Bluetooth / cell phone connection option if you have cell phone range where you are. When I go up country to our cabin with no phone line ADSL I bring my notebook and connect to my cell phone to get online.It's slower (similar to dial-up speed) but does the job. I believe this way to be significantly less expensive than a 2-way satellite setup if they are here.

It's only slower if you don't use the CAT CDMA or the AIS service that provides a 1.5mb broadband service over the mobile networks.

My CAT works almost everywhere (apart from Bangkok)

It's only slower if you don't use the CAT CDMA or the AIS service that provides a 1.5mb broadband service over the mobile networks.

My CAT works almost everywhere (apart from Bangkok)

I use the AIS blue tooth here in Chiang Mai Night Bazaar area. It sucks.

Would the reliability and speed be improved if I went to the 3G air stick?

I am a real no nothing in this stuff. Just can't seem to wrap my mind around Tech. stuff.

Need all the help I can get.

Would appreciate any help I can get.

My friends that have had Sat connections in Thailand got a pretty fast download but had to have a phoneline for upload and it was exactly dialup speed for uploads.

The BT option isn't quite the same as Sat download. (FAR different by speed)

Have a look at this thread started by George, basically it tells you how CAR CDMA is a far better and much cheaper option than Ipstar.

I have had CAT CDMA for last 3 months, have had a couple short periods where it was slow but I have since found this is something to do with the modem (MC760). Turning off the modem and router and restarting and it works perfectly.

Ongoing cost is under 800 Baht per month with unlimited downloads.

Which is better depends on location and proximity to a CAT CDMA tower. I live in Chiang Mai. However, there are no CAT CDMA towers close to me. When I use CDMA about 30 kilometers north of Chiang Mai I am closer to a tower and get a correspondingly better signal.

I also have AIS Super 3G. It has been the best for me at this time in my location.

iPSTAR will get the same signal almost anywhere in Thailand. In my experience it is not that fast compared to what is available today. When I had iPSTAR, DSL was not available in most of Chiang Mai. At that time iPSTAR was quite expensive.

I have found the main offices of service providers to be honest and knowledgeable as to what will work in which areas of Chiang Mai. That is THE MAIN OFFICES, not kiosks or resellers. I am not saying kiosks or resellers are bad, just that the information and help I have received from the main offices has been good.

MSPain

Have a look at this thread started by George, basically it tells you how CAR CDMA is a far better and much cheaper option than Ipstar.

I have had CAT CDMA for last 3 months, have had a couple short periods where it was slow but I have since found this is something to do with the modem (MC760). Turning off the modem and router and restarting and it works perfectly.

For me DSl/ADSL is not an option as I am too far from the DSlam and they will only give a 128K connection, there are at least 3 CAT towers within 10 km, if the OP is asking about Satelitte he/she must be somewhere out in the sticks somewhere.

OP if you go into CAT's main office and ask them about CDMA in your area they will be able to use a program like Google earth where you can show them where you live. Then they can see what towers are available to you.

I had ipstar before my current private line from TOT.

I can categorically surmised that if nothing else is available in your geographical location and that the ipstar is the only choice, then perhaps you have to put up with the high cost--paying about 6,000 baht per month.... which I am sure is much cheaper now....

Currently with TOT, the monthly service fee including a live phone and fax line fall within 600 baht per month....

Which is better depends on location and proximity to a CAT CDMA tower. I live in Chiang Mai. However, there are no CAT CDMA towers close to me. When I use CDMA about 30 kilometers north of Chiang Mai I am closer to a tower and get a correspondingly better signal.

I also have AIS Super 3G. It has been the best for me at this time in my location.

iPSTAR will get the same signal almost anywhere in Thailand. In my experience it is not that fast compared to what is available today. When I had iPSTAR, DSL was not available in most of Chiang Mai. At that time iPSTAR was quite expensive.

I have found the main offices of service providers to be honest and knowledgeable as to what will work in which areas of Chiang Mai. That is THE MAIN OFFICES, not kiosks or resellers. I am not saying kiosks or resellers are bad, just that the information and help I have received from the main offices has been good.

MSPain