Crackdown On Pattaya Police

britmaveric

Police General from Bangkok attacks local Police Departments. He warns local commanders to improve or be moved on.

A frustrated Police Major General Woot held this meeting at Pattaya City Hall which was attended by Pattaya’s Tourist Police, Immigration Police, Highway Police and Marine Police.

The General was clearly angry with delegates who were accused of shirking their responsibilities. He begun his attack on the Tourist Police, represented at the meeting by Police Colonel Supapon, the Regional Commander, along with Police Lieutenant Colonel Wootishat. He suggested that crimes involving foreign nationals, such as the one attended by the General on Wednesday should have been solved by the Tourist Police and should not have required Police from Bangkok to come down and make the arrests.

Attacks on the Highway Police were also made and their lack of attendance at road accidents and major criminal arrests was noted. Their role would be to control, traffic flow around the crime scene and ensure that drivers do not slow down to take a look which can cause traffic congestion and minor collisions. The Immigration Police were told to increase their efforts, as the General has noted too many foreign nationals working in Pattaya without work permits. Finally, the Marine Police were told to increase their efforts, especially when it comes to policing the waters off of Pattaya, as too many small incidents involving tourists were taking place.

The General concluded the meeting by confirming that during September he will be spending a lot of time here in Pattaya monitoring each Police Department. If he is not happy, he will either suspend officers or move them on to other departments.

-Pattaya City News

Wednesday 31st August 2005

The Immigration Police were told to increase their efforts, as the General has noted too many foreign nationals working in Pattaya without work permits.

How did he know they didn't have permits, did he question them, if so, why didn't he arrest them and lead by example? :o:D

A frustrated Police Major General Woot

The General concluded the meeting by confirming that during September he will be spending a lot of time here in Pattaya

He's frustrated and so he'll be spending a lot time in Pattaya :o:D That's why a lot of tourists go there also :D:D

Slightly related, just the other day I saw something pretty amazing...

Off duty cop on motorbike, with weapons belt et al but on private bike with wife / GF on the back, both no helmet.

Driving on 3th road towards Pattaya Klang, taking the small shortcut to the left, 100m before the traffic lights, in order to go onto central road towards second road...

just behind the corner were two on duty coppers checking on helmets (they are there most of the time, it's the place where everybody puts on their helmet, just to take it off again when they are past the checkpoint).

On duty coppers stopped him, wrote a ticket when all the while the off duty cop was making lots of noises and gestures that they should allow him to pass without a ticket...

The on duty cops were not impressed and the off-duty cop left with ticket :D

Anybody's guess if he paid or not, but if he is low-level I assume his direct superior will not be impressed :o

I think that the General simply forgot to mention the rampant "corruption" that goes on in each department. I'm sure he'll remember when he continues his stay in Pattaya in September. :o

The police in my country have what is commonly known as "internal affairs" units that investigate allegations of police impropriety, corruption, etc.

Would the entire Thai police system consider starting an internal affairs unit for their departments?

But who would "police" the police?

I think that they would need a separate police unit, aptly labelled the "super-duper internal affairs" looking for any corruption from the initial internal affairs units.

:D:D:D versus :D:D:D

No doubt we will see a number of expats deciding to close their business for the month of September, miss the rain and go and spend money somewhere else until the boss goes back to BKK - then it will be back to normal for all concerned, still working without permits and not paying any taxes. Although of course, I am sure that the police between them will produce their little black book of dubious characters and pluck a few out to be the sacrificial lambs and paraded on TV for all to see before being deported.

The Immigration Police were told to increase their efforts, as the General has noted too many foreign nationals working in Pattaya without work permits.

How did he know they didn't have permits, did he question them, if so, why didn't he arrest them and lead by example? :o:D

If its good enough for me and my farang staff to have permits then its good enough for all the other bastards :D

Luckily i'm not a grass is'nt it?

It does wind me up a bit though. :D