Sending And Cashing A Cheque From Barclays Bank Uk To Thailand

Simple question really and apologies if this has been covered before but I cannot see it.

Can I simply courier a Barclays Bank cheque from my own Barclays Bank account in England to my address in Thailand and then cash the cheque into my Bangkok bank account?

Or even bring back a book of cheques with me when I go over to the UK?

Are there fees involved that make this unwise?

If not Bangkok Bank does K. Bank not offer this service? I seem to recall being able to deposit a cheque with them, but it is a long time since I had a K. Bank bank account.

Thanks.

The cheque you bring from England will undoubtedly be sent on a collection basis back to England by which ever Thai Bank you deposit it in. This could take up to 45 days to get access to your funds. There will be charges probably by both banks to clear the cheque.

21 to 30 days for a check to clear Bangkok Bank. I do this all the time.

The time is not so much a factor. I will be going to the UK soon and bringing back cash to tide me over for 3 months.

Do you find it is cheaper than TT transfer? Do you get a good rate when doing it this way?

I am all for saving money on transfers and ATM charges if possible :)

Thanks for the replie gotlost and daveroc.

21 to 30 days for a check to clear Bangkok Bank. I do this all the time.

The time is not so much a factor. I will be going to the UK soon and bringing back cash to tide me over for 3 months.

Do you find it is cheaper than TT transfer? Do you get a good rate when doing it this way?

I am all for saving money on transfers and ATM charges if possible :)

Thanks for the replie gotlost and daveroc.

I guess it depends how much how often you want to cash cheques or transfer cash. Bear in mind Cheques will soon be a thing of the past in the Uk as they are phasing them out.

K Bank does receive cheques between 21-28 days to cash

If you have an account with Bangkok bank, why dont you transfer the money into the LONDON branch of Bangkok Bank and have them send it to your Thailand account, that will cost you £20. Safer quicker and easier,(IMHO) All very easy if you have online banking, and the money is in your account in Thailand in about 5 days.

Hope this helps, if you need more info on this just IM me.:jap: I do it all the time.