Restaurant Review

lannarebirth

Food: not delicious at all but thankfully meagre portions

Service: Awful

Setting: A lot worse than it seemed from the road while driving by.

Prices: Khao Mao Khao Fangish, but no where near as good in all areas.

I wish I hadn't tried it for the first time while entertaining guests. Sucked all around.

Oh dear! If that is the restaurant on the inner ring road between hang dong and canal roads, then i'm glad about my decision on saturday night! We went there because it looked good from the road, but after parking and finding every table full, and seeing not many waiters, and also because it just had so many people, we pulled out and went to khun pet's just before it (i think that was the name).

Food was okay to good, but i would suggest it is literally the cheapest restaurant i've been to in chiang mai. Two large leos, to spy wines, a fish dish, veggies dish, and a eryingi mushroom tom yam dish, and the bill was 440 baht. Unreal.

Go there instead!

Oh dear! If that is the restaurant on the inner ring road between hang dong and canal roads, then i'm glad about my decision on saturday night! We went there because it looked good from the road, but after parking and finding every table full, and seeing not many waiters, and also because it just had so many people, we pulled out and went to khun pet's just before it (i think that was the name).

Food was okay to good, but i would suggest it is literally the cheapest restaurant i've been to in chiang mai. Two large leos, to spy wines, a fish dish, veggies dish, and a eryingi mushroom tom yam dish, and the bill was 440 baht. Unreal.

Go there instead!

I think it was full because of graduation ceremonies going on at present. I'm not in the habit of slamming places I don't care for but I see this one as a public service announcement.

We left in the middle of our meal and went to the Chinese place closer to the Canal Rd. Our interim bill upon leaving was 630 Bt for 2 dishes served, rice and water. No drinks.

Agree 100%. Went just after it opened and it was bad, gave them a few weeks to see whether it was teething troubles and then went again. Still bad. Way over-priced for the area, service chaotic, and as you say very stingy portions. It won't last unless they sort it out.

Go there instead!

Pat's Kitchen is the one I think you mean.

I was there last night, prices are very very good. and the food was delicious.

Drove past the Windmill place afterwards..absolutley heaving, no way we would have got served if we had gone there. Great setting though.

Once they get the measure of how many customers they can attract they will probably get the balance right.

The one time I went I found the food superb, but the service .......well it was slow to say the least and many things on the menu were unavailable. They did not have any cold beers either.

Interested to hear about the windmill place (what 's with the windmill anyway, and as for the entrance gates to Babylon opposite...).

Is the Chinese place the fish restaurant with green roof actually on Canal Rd?

Where exactly is Pat's kitchen, is it the one with the upstairs eating?

Yeah, that must be the one.

And to the poster who asked, yes, i ate upstairs, and it wasn't a particularly big restaurant. But quite amazing prices and decent food to match. It was just before the windmill place.

Agree 100%. Went just after it opened and it was bad, gave them a few weeks to see whether it was teething troubles and then went again. Still bad. Way over-priced for the area, service chaotic, and as you say very stingy portions. It won't last unless they sort it out.

That's weird - looks like a big investment, and a big place, with so much excellent competition around it they can hardly afford to be anything but excellent.

If they're really not all that they'll be gone within 6 months...

That Chinese place near Canal has very very good food - but its amazing how great Chinese-Thai food is so much more expensive. Worth it for a nice treat, although like so many of the best Chinese-Thai food joints, the setting is somewhat lacking.

Seconded - been there, it's fantastic. Not expensive, except for fish but I assume those are market prices and this place has some rare delicacies which are priced accordingly. But the normal food - great chinese for not much money. Just adds to the plethora of excellent food choices here in CM...

Interested to hear about the windmill place (what 's with the windmill anyway, and as for the entrance gates to Babylon opposite...).

Is the Chinese place the fish restaurant with green roof actually on Canal Rd?

Where exactly is Pat's kitchen, is it the one with the upstairs eating?

Yes, Pat's is before the Windmill and has upstairs dining been going for a few years.Generally good inexpensive food.

We hit the windmill place right after it opend . The taste of the food was good the portions were small , service was ok the bill was rather high , we will not return ... It amazes me the places that can stay open ...

There are much better places to eat further down the road tried most of them and they were all good and reasonable.........

Very strange. I have been there a few times and the food was good as was the service.

MSPain

Drove past the Windmill place afterwards..absolutley heaving, no way we would have got served if we had gone there. Great setting though.

Once they get the measure of how many customers they can attract they will probably get the balance right.

The one time I went I found the food superb, but the service .......well it was slow to say the least and many things on the menu were unavailable. They did not have any cold beers either.

I'm super happy you folks had a good experience there, or at least not an awful one. I hardly ever complain about anything and I found it to be about the worst dining experience I've ever had in Chiang Mai in 8 + years.

Edited by lannarebirth

That Chinese place near Canal has very very good food - but its amazing how great Chinese-Thai food is so much more expensive. Worth it for a nice treat, although like so many of the best Chinese-Thai food joints, the setting is somewhat lacking.

That price I mentioned was for leaving the Windmill joint mid meal. The Chinese place up the street much cheaper and much more delicious food too. I do agree the atmosphere is somewhat lacking as well, but the windmill place has none either. No roof, no shade, no nothing. I mentioned the 630 Baht bill I had for 2 items (one was fried vegetables) plus rice and water. Initially they gave me a bill for 1110 baht for this before the wife kicked some ass. Not good IMO.

Come on guys. Which is the Chinese place? Do you mean the fish restaurant, pond on Canal road side, with new green roof. Put me out of my misery!

Chinese place about 100 meters, on the left, before the ring road turns into the Canal Rd.. Veterinary place next door. Ambiance dreadfully lacking but food absolutely delicious and not terribly expensive.