Loi Khro Clampdown Rumours?True

alant

i have heard that establishments on loi khro road are currently being asked to cease selling alcohol between 2pm and 5pm and remove all advertising materials for overseas booze. it this so?

It's illegal to sell alcoholic drinks between 14:00 and 17:00 anyway. As for covering the signs, it's an on and off thing. The city will be strict once in a while. However in CM, there's a large sigh advertising Chang beer on top of a building. So I wonder what's up with that.!!!

It's illegal to sell alcoholic drinks between 14:00 and 17:00 anyway. As for covering the signs, it's an on and off thing. The city will be strict once in a while. However in CM, there's a large sigh advertising Chang beer on top of a building. So I wonder what's up with that.!!!

The OP mentioned 'overseas beer' - if that's correct advertising Chang is OK I presume?

There have also been a few recent warnings about smoking in the boxing bars as well. A few near the soi where you park your bike have set up chairs and tables outside or are encouraging patrons to step out. The bars on the inside do not have that option. Apparently besides the fine for smoker, 2000 baht as I recall, the establishment can be fined 200 000 baht. New warning stickers abound and the ashtray have gone from my favourite watering hole.

Edited by mamborobert

There have also been a few recent warnings about smoking in the boxing bars as well. A few near the soi where you park your bike have set up chairs and tables outside or are encouraging patrons to step out. The bars on the inside do not have that option. Apparently besides the fine for smoker, 2000 baht as I recall, the establishment can be fined 200 000 baht. New warning stickers abound and the ashtray have gone from my favourite watering hole.

Great news. Sadly, I know of another place or two where I cannot munch anything without having my meal ruined by an addicted smoker. But it's OK with me. Uptheos loves it, but I won't go there. Even with open walls here and there, the stench can be upsetting to the militant ex-smoker.

In olde Ire, on the coldest and rawest of days, freezing rain flaked with snow, the decent go outside the pub.

As for having a beer between 2 and 5, it's just like purchases for taking home: Where there's a will, there's a way - in Thailand (assuming cash or family).

From the point of view of enforcement, the fines should be reversed. Proper raids would enrich the households of many poor BIBS and their families.

Edited by CMX

Great news. Sadly, I know of another place or two where I cannot munch anything without having my meal ruined by an addicted smoker. But it's OK with me. Uptheos loves it, but I won't go there. Even with open walls here and there, the stench can be upsetting to the militant ex-smoker.

In olde Ire, on the coldest and rawest of days, freezing rain flaked with snow, the decent go outside the pub.

As for having a beer between 2 and 5, it's just like purchases for taking home: Where there's a will, there's a way - in Thailand (assuming cash or family).

From the point of view of enforcement, the fines should be reversed. Proper raids would enrich the households of many poor BIBS and their families.

If you're talking about the UN Irish Pub, yes I do think it's the best sports bar (the only) in Chiang Mai.

I don't like the fact that people stand on the balcony and smoke, I wish Sandy would ban it completely.

So, I adjust - I sit in the middle where smoke doesn't reach me.......but I do understand your feelings and not being a smoker I wish they wouldn't.. At least it's open all around and the ceilings are high with lots of fans which helps, as opposed to another pub on Loi Kroh, where they smoke outside and the smoke drifts in with low ceilings and no windows for an outlet.

No, not Irish Pub. The Irish reference was merely meant to show that some folks take their cancer sticks out of doors in bad weather rather than inflicting their disease on others. And smoking "outside" while leaning a bit doesn't bother me either.

Places I'm thinking of you can sit anywhere to eat and have someone sit down next to you and light up. Ashtrays all around the place.

But I think the real interest here is the beer issue. Same thing: Pays your money and takes your choice, remembering that there are policing seasons.

Back on topic: I think it's kind of sensible.

If you can't mantage imbibe more than enough alcohol between 5pm and 2am then you have bigger problems to worry about.

Sometimes its nice to have a beer after work (3-5) and then go home and have dinner and get ready for the next day

Well it seems the paranoia really has set in taping words off beer glasses and no drinking alcohol between 2 and 5 pm etc etc..

On top of that we get the no smoking mob putting in their 10 pence, what else can we restrict or ban while we are on? There must be something…….

As far as smoking is concerned have the anti smokers ever considered the amount of smoke and toxin they pump into the air when they jump on their motor cycle/car/songthaew? My guess is it is far far worse than any cigarette.

Live and let live.

If you can't mantage imbibe more than enough alcohol between 5pm and 2am then you have bigger problems to worry about.

Sometimes its nice to have a beer after work (3-5) and then go home and have dinner and get ready for the next day

You should work more. Problem solved. ;)

As far as smoking is concerned have the anti smokers ever considered the amount of smoke and toxin they pump into the air when they jump on their motor cycle/car/songthaew? My guess is it is far far worse than any cigarette.

Live and let live.

:wacko: duh

When one jumps on a 'motor cycle/car/songthaew', one usually does so when outside, although with the mind of a typical (selfish) smoker I guess they'd do so inside if they could and screw everyone else... 'Live and let live' eh. <_<

On the beer, do think it's all going it bit backards here with this 2-5 rule, though.

I was in Big C in Lamphun on Sunday meeting a friend just over from England and he was surprised at the 11am to 2pm rule. At 1.45pm we ordered another tower of leo between five ex-pats and were told that no further beer was being sold and it was not until a thai friend became involved that we were allowed another 1 litre jug. It seems that all drinks must be finished by the customer at 2pm. The glasses also had the brand of beer covered up with tape. Only last week in Big C Hang Dong we were asked just before 2pm if we like to order another tower of beer. Whats going on?

You should work more. Problem solved. ;)

Majority of the 2-5 drinkers are retired and tourist.:o

If asked why you are drinking after 2pm simply tell them you have purchased 10 litres and are happily drinking it one at a time and you are OK. ;) You can purchase and I presume drink anything over 10 litres at any time which sort of makes an ass of the law if you ask me. :D

I was in Big C in Lamphun on Sunday meeting a friend just over from England and he was surprised at the 11am to 2pm rule. At 1.45pm we ordered another tower of leo between five ex-pats and were told that no further beer was being sold and it was not until a thai friend became involved that we were allowed another 1 litre jug. It seems that all drinks must be finished by the customer at 2pm. The glasses also had the brand of beer covered up with tape. Only last week in Big C Hang Dong we were asked just before 2pm if we like to order another tower of beer. Whats going on?

'Thailand' is going on. (TIT)

Well it seems the paranoia really has set in taping words off beer glasses and no drinking alcohol between 2 and 5 pm etc etc..

On top of that we get the no smoking mob putting in their 10 pence, what else can we restrict or ban while we are on? There must be something…….

Live and let live.

Live and let live. Exactly! I love an occasional dip (chewing tobacco). I normally have the decency to spit only in a empty water bottle with a lid. But any smoker blowing his second-hand smoke on me, should not be offended in the least bit when I turn a spit a bit stream of tabacco juice on them or their plate of food. Live and let live, right?

Same same.

-Mestizo

Back to the OP's subject......

I don't believe there is a clampdown as such. There are too separate issues:

1. Non alcohol sales between 2 and 5 p.m. is, I understand, and old law intended to prevent school kids coming out of school in the afternoon and drinking. There is another about not having a bar within 150M (or some similar distance) from a school. But TIT, the law is enforced accordingly, more by big chains in my experience, than by small local places. And Thailand being the land of the "crackdown" occasionally they pick on a law and decide to enforce it, usually approaching a holiday when certain coffers are dry :whistling: And, what a surprise, Many Thai-Chinese in authority here and guess who has an upcoming New Year celbration....... :unsure: But Thailand is not alone, for example, it took the UK around 70 years to change a similar first world war law aimed at stopping munitions factory workers drinking :rolleyes:

2. I believe there is a new law banning advertising of alcohol! That's led to the frantic covering up of branding materials by those who haven't paid the right tea money. It seems to be very inconsistent though, I see many local bars with those stand in the street signs advertising whiskey which were provided by their supplier, covering up the bottom part to leave only the name. But the bar next door carries on as normal, whatever. Chang are as ever industrious I've already seen bars with replacement signs advertising "Chang Water" :D :D

Hey ho, life goes on :) And what did happen to the regularly re-incarnated story about Loy Khro being moved to Chiang Mai Land, haven't heard a re-spin of that for a while? Maybe the current generation had different tastes to his Uncle? :o

Back to the OP's subject......

I don't believe there is a clampdown as such. There are too separate issues:

1. Non alcohol sales between 2 and 5 p.m. is, I understand, and old law intended to prevent school kids coming out of school in the afternoon and drinking. There is another about not having a bar within 150M (or some similar distance) from a school. But TIT, the law is enforced accordingly, more by big chains in my experience, than by small local places. And Thailand being the land of the "crackdown" occasionally they pick on a law and decide to enforce it, usually approaching a holiday when certain coffers are dry :whistling: And, what a surprise, Many Thai-Chinese in authority here and guess who has an upcoming New Year celbration....... :unsure: But Thailand is not alone, for example, it took the UK around 70 years to change a similar first world war law aimed at stopping munitions factory workers drinking :rolleyes:

2. I believe there is a new law banning advertising of alcohol! That's led to the frantic covering up of branding materials by those who haven't paid the right tea money. It seems to be very inconsistent though, I see many local bars with those stand in the street signs advertising whiskey which were provided by their supplier, covering up the bottom part to leave only the name. But the bar next door carries on as normal, whatever. Chang are as ever industrious I've already seen bars with replacement signs advertising "Chang Water" :D :D

Hey ho, life goes on :) And what did happen to the regularly re-incarnated story about Loy Khro being moved to Chiang Mai Land, haven't heard a re-spin of that for a while? Maybe the current generation had different tastes to his Uncle? :o

So we can spot the bars that don't pay tea money.....and so can the BIB and mark them for future reference.

Re-incarnated in Chiang Mai Land - that place is practically Japanese and Korean only.

Hey ho, life goes on :) And what did happen to the regularly re-incarnated story about Loy Khro being moved to Chiang Mai Land, haven't heard a re-spin of that for a while?

Not Chiang Mai Land. Chiang Mai Land would still be somewhat sensible. The balloon that was floated was to move it to Chiang Mai Business Park, behind Carrefour. ;)

Of course that idea only comes up when friends of the owner of that particular piece of land are in power. :rolleyes:

Hey ho, life goes on :) And what did happen to the regularly re-incarnated story about Loy Khro being moved to Chiang Mai Land, haven't heard a re-spin of that for a while?

Not Chiang Mai Land. Chiang Mai Land would still be somewhat sensible. The balloon that was floated was to move it to Chiang Mai Business Park, behind Carrefour. ;)

Of course that idea only comes up when friends of the owner of that particular piece of land are in power. :rolleyes:

What's wrong with leaving Loi Kroh as it is?

It's not exactly the red light district as in Amsterdam.

Maybe all the two timers will feel more comfortable sneaking around the back of Carrefour? whistling.gif

Edited by uptheos

What's wrong with leaving Loi Kroh as it is?

Apparently it offends the prudish. :ermm:

I think it unfair to blame dislike of Loi Kroh upon prudish people alone.

There are the untraveled, misinformed, ill-informed, narrow minded, unsophisticated - and we cannot ignore our religious-fashioned, as well as the simply shy. Paranoids too, of course.

All establishments city wide that sells alcohol. National law.

A national law that isn't being enforced nationaly.

We were in Chiang Mai over Xmas New year and saw the evidence at Old Bell and other places. We moved on to Bangkok and Krabi, no sign whatsoever of any enforcement of the law.