Australians Only!

Following my thread on how your Thai wife/GF coped with being in her new foreign country(thanks to all who commented), I pose a new question to all you helpful people.

For those Australians that have been through the process of applying for a residency visa to get her into OZ, how was it? Was you application successful, if not why?

It's on the cards that I may apply soon for my girl. I would appriciate comments from any AUSTRALIANS, and any tips that might be good to know before hand.

Please I'm not looking for info about how to apply (already know whats required), just good helpful advice about what to expect.

Regards

DavieA

:o

I have only done holiday Visa's as long as you jump through the appropriate hoops, you should be ok.

Remember the one thing on your side is they must be seen to administer the act fairly, and at the end of the day there are appeals processes even if you have to go to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal - the one the Govt employees hate.

I don't really want to live in Australia and my wife doesn't want to live there or particularly be an Australian Citizen, so the rest I can't comment on, other than offer my wishes for good luck :o

The first time we applied for my g/f to come to OZ, it was knocked back..stating that they thought she was a risk in not leaving when required. You cannot appeal the decision, just pay another application fee. Which I did, pointing out that she had been allowed in heaps of other countries but not OZ.

The visa was allowed but only for 3 months.

It was a long and difficult battle ( I'm sure they put as many hurdles in your way to see how committed you are)..... but 4 years on my now wife and I think it was worth the effort.

It was very intrusive...we had to supply affidavits stating the relationship we had o/seas. Had to supply all our emails and phone records for their perusal.

Edited by mynot

The first time we applied for my g/f to come to OZ, it was knocked back..stating that they thought she was a risk in not leaving when required. You cannot appeal the decision, just pay another application fee. Which I did, pointing out that she had been allowed in heaps of other countries but not OZ.

The visa was allowed but only for 3 months.

It was a long and difficult battle ( I'm sure they put as many hurdles in your way to see how committed you are)..... but 4 years on my now wife and I think it was worth the effort.

It was very intrusive...we had to supply affidavits stating the relationship we had o/seas. Had to supply all our emails and phone records for their perusal.

I see you're a man of few words Mynot. This is the same post you used in a similar topic last year.

After your girlfriend was initially refused the visa to Oz you continued to apply, received a 3month visitor visa and she is now a resident. Did you apply for her residence in Oz? And, if so, can you understand why others have problems getting a visa from the Oz enbassy for genuine visits by girlfriends?

If I've misread your situation I'm sorry.

Are you married to her ?  How long have you known her ?

No not married, but been together over 2 years and living together now for 12 months.

Would getting married in Thailand first give us any more chance than being defacto, seeing as though the residency visa is the same regardless of whether we are married or not? The Australian government think marrage in Thailand is a load of <deleted> anyway.

I am 40 from Oz. I had no luck even getting a tourist visa for my 1st Thai gf but the difficulty of the system probably actually helped me because I soon realised that I was kidding myself and she just wanted the opportunity - not me. I forgot about looking for a young model type and concentrated on the more important things. To me even average Thai girls are gorgeous.

So I became introduced to a mid 30s educated girl with good English. After a few trips we decided to go the prospective marriage visa. We jumped through their hoops but it was straightforward this time as our relationship was very genuine. So now we are getting married in a few weeks here in Oz and I couldn't be happier. We will live in Oz and gradually spend more and more time in LOS. Best of both worlds I think!

My tip is that if you are interested in a Thai relationship that will last forget the bargirls and make the effort to meet an educated average girl and learn alot about their customs and beliefs first.

Was she accepted or not?
Yep.

Accepted for a 3 month holiday.

Accepted with a resident visa.

Accepted as an Australian citizen!

ACCEPTED :D

just good helpful advice about what to expect

Depends how you go about it (ie: defacto/fiancee/marrage). My wife came out on a holiday on a 3 month visa firstly. Everything went fine and we both returned to Thailand and married under Thai law. Then applied for her residency visa. Had the interview, not as bad as expected. We took all our piccies and it was over in no time.

I returned to Oz and waited an month or so and she GOT IT!!!

That was about 12 years ago :o

...without doubt the best thing I have ever done. :D

Edited by BaanOz

The Australian government think marrage in Thailand is a load of <deleted> anyway.

I don't think this is quite true - the Australian Government recognises legal marriages in Thailand as much as anywhere else - what they, and most governments, do not recognise is the semi-religious knot tying ceremony that many farang take part in.

The religious ceremony is not recognised as a legal marriage even by Thai authorities - you have to register at your local Amphur, and only then is it a legal wedding and you will be given an official marriage certificate (in Thai) which you should immediately have translated into English (or your home language) ready for use in applications for visas or whatever.

Your success in a visa application often seems directly proportional to your desperation - the more you "need" to get a visa, the less likley it is that you will get it.

The basic thing to remember in applying for a visa, especially a visitor or tourist visa, for any country is that you are trying to convince the authorities that you do not need, nor wish to stay in the country, and that you have extremely good reasons to return home.

My tip is that if you are interested in a Thai relationship that will last forget the bargirls and make the effort to meet an educated average girl and learn alot about their customs and beliefs first.

Nabiac, thanks for the comments mate. My girl is a normal educated Thai girl.

there are plenty of helpfull threads on this topic

Dave did you get my email reply?

Thanks Bronco, got your mail! Did ya get my reply?

Was she accepted or not?

Yep.

Accepted for a 3 month holiday.

Accepted with a resident visa.

Accepted as an Australian citizen!

ACCEPTED :o

...without doubt the best thing I have ever done. :D

Great positive news BaanOz! Good to hear. Chalk Dee Cup!

:D

Would getting married in Thailand first give us any more chance  than being defacto,  seeing as though the residency visa is the same regardless of whether we are married or not?  The Australian government think marrage in Thailand is a load of <deleted> anyway.

I don't think it makes much of a difference defacto or married. Plenty of evidence of a relationship is I think the most important thing. Bills/accounts in both names is good plus photos, letters from friends about relationship etc.

If you have been living together for a couple of years and can prove it ...welcome to Oz!

We were married it Thailand so they must think something of it! :o

Are you married to her ?  How long have you known her ?

No not married, but been together over 2 years and living together now for 12 months.

Would getting married in Thailand first give us any more chance than being defacto, seeing as though the residency visa is the same regardless of whether we are married or not? The Australian government think marrage in Thailand is a load of <deleted> anyway.

<deleted> or not ... a Thai marriage is absolutely legally recognized in Australia.

... The religious ceremony is not recognised as a legal marriage even by Thai authorities - you have to register at your local Amphur, and only then is it a legal wedding and you will be given an official marriage certificate (in Thai) which you should immediately have translated into English (or your home language) ready for use in applications for visas or whatever.

Your success in a visa application often seems directly proportional to your desperation - the more you "need" to get a visa, the less likley it is that you will get it.

The basic thing to remember in applying for a visa, especially a visitor or tourist visa, for any country is that you are trying to convince the authorities that you do not need, nor wish to stay in the country, and that you have extremely good reasons to return home.

Excellent post, :o

<snip> You cannot appeal the decision, just pay another application fee.<snip>

Generally yes, the statement I made before about appeals is a long and difficult process and can only be done if you have a good legal counsel and deep pockets.

It's actually called the "Migration Revue Tribunal" Matt and it was $1200 application fee 4 years ago.

There is one in every capital city in Oz.

My experience with the "Spouse Visa" was to have an influential Politician on side.

There are mountains of posts on this subject, do a search and have a good read.

My Wife is at permanent residence stage and next step is the Oz Citizenship in the not to distant future.

good luck

From Mar 2001 - All 8 Tourist visa applications granted for TW and her Daughter up to:-

Aug 2002 - Temporary Residence Visa granted 5 weeks after application.

I believe that with the Visa section being ‘out sourced’ the application process is much longer.

Sep 2004 - Permanent Residence Visa granted in one hour on visit to IMM in Perth.

On all occasions we stated very clearly that we had no intention of living in Aus. Just visit regularly, this didn’t seem to matter.

They are fully ACCEPTED by my daughters and friends, get on well together. My Mum and Dad love and spoil them something chronic. BUT there is no way TW could be removed from her family permanently.

Anyway - All in all very easy - JUST FOLLOW THE RULES and GUIDE LINES. Make sure you are well dressed and it helps if TW is in simple silk dress without too much gold at ALL interviews here in Thailand.

I see you're a man of few words Mynot. This is the same post you used in a similar topic last year.

After your girlfriend was initially refused the visa to Oz you continued to apply, received a 3month visitor visa and she is now a resident. Did you apply for her residence in Oz? And, if so, can you understand why others have problems getting a visa from the Oz enbassy for genuine visits by girlfriends?

Its strange that you say that Old Croc.... cos i am only reiterating the truth. It was not copied and pasted as you may think. But when I did apply for residency for my g/f, it was applied for in Australia. Eventually we got married in Australia and applied for residency under the "spouse visa" ( i think it was called that)

I think that all the problems that ppl do have with the Oz embassy, is because the Oz embassy treats all relationships as not bona fide until proven.

Its strange that you say that Old Croc.... cos i am only reiterating the truth. It was not copied and pasted as you may think. But when I did apply for residency for my g/f, it was applied for in Australia. Eventually we got married in Australia and applied for residency under the "spouse visa" ( i think it was called that)

I think that all the problems that ppl do have with the Oz embassy, is because the Oz embassy treats all relationships as not bona fide until proven.

My apologies Mynot. I was incorrect with my statement in the first para. I obviously misread something along the way.

However, I still make the point that when people obtain a visit visa for their TGF when the only intention is to obtain residence in Oz make it much more difficult for others who follow to get a similar visa. You certainly have no moral ground to complain about jumping through hoops. I speak as someone who will be attempting a VV for my lady at some stage.