Pattaya Pizzas

PattayaOneTeam

THE FRUGAL GOURMAND

HOW ABOUT SOME PIZZA?

Just about everyone I know loves pizza; and they all have very strong opinions about which places have the best pies. As a native New Yorker, classic NY style, Neapolitan pizza is the real deal for me. A nice, thin round pie with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, tomato sauce and, perhaps, some anchovy topping is akin to heaven for me. Bostonians and Chicagoans have their deep dish variations. Then, there's Sicilian style, thick crusted pizza and other authentic Italian variations. As for Pizza Hut and Pizza Company: Fuggedaboutit!

Pizzeria Italia (aka Non Solo Spaghetti), in the heart of Jomtien Complex at the intersection of Thappraya Road, is one of my favourites. They offer a large variety of individual pizzas with lots of different toppings. I usually go with the Margarita Pizza, which is a plain tomato sauce and cheese pie. The crust is chewy and the cheese is stringy; almost like an authentic New York pizza. They also offer a big choice of Italian pastas, specialties and salads at reasonable prices. If you don't think this is great Italian pizza, I'll send my cousin Irving to break your fingers. (I never claimed to be Italian.) Prices for individual pizzas run in the 200 baht range.

Volterra (504/17 Soi VC), situated off Soi VC, on Soi Yensabai Mansion, in South Pattaya, serves authentic Italian food along with delicious pizzas. Owner and Chef, Michele Magni, personally prepares all of the dishes. Many of the ingredients are imported from Italy. My friend always opts for the pizza topped with spicy (but not too spicy) salami; and raves that it's the best pizza in Pattaya. I usually choose the Napoli Pizza, which is topped with anchovies and capers. Again, these are thin crusted, chewy pies. With a coke or a beer, you'll get change from your 300 baht. By the way, these pizzas are larger than the ones served at Pizzeria Italia and you may even take a couple of slices home.

When you need a break from shopping, Spicchio Pizza can be found in several food courts throughout Pattaya, including Carrefour (soon to be Big C); Royal Garden Plaza and Central Festival Pattaya Beach. Their pizza is sold by the slice and isn't bad. However, it does lose something from the reheating process.

Nick the Pizza (nickthepizza.com) will deliver a passable pizza to your door. They come in large and small sizes and prices are very reasonable. Not gourmet, but not bad; and they arrive quickly. The crusts are crispy, not chewy. If your order comes to 155 baht or more, delivery is free. You can't beat that.

Finally, I schlepped all the way from Jomtien to Naklua to try the offerings at New York Pizza House (nypizzahouse.com), located on Naklua Road in the Heritage Plaza.

To read the rest of this article download the PDF here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/download/665-pattaya-one-issue-8/

Enjoyed this article? Why not go to our poll and vote for it at:

gallery_327_1086_2603.gif

-- Pattaya One 2011-01-26

My rebuttal to the reviews --

Pizzeria Italia (aka Non Solo Spaghetti)

Mediocre, nothing special, certainly not worth a special trip

(Back off Irving, I might just have pepper spray ...)

Volterra

Excellent for its style, worth a special trip

Nick the Pizza

Shockingly awful

Spicchio Pizza

Why even mention them?

New York Pizza, Naklua

Best in town

Some decent places worth mentioning --

Pan Pan Jomtien

Better than Pizzeria Italia anyway

Toscana Trattoria, Pattaya Beach Road

Based on one visit only, I rate it excellent

Globetrotter Pattaya

Not saying their pizza is great, because it ain't, but it's interesting for something a little different, Swedish style pizza ...

Edited by Jingthing