Renewal Of Retirement Visa

My retirement visa expires in 3 weeks. I originally got it through a law firm but planning to do the renewal myself to save the fee. I live midway between Bangkok and Aranyaprathet and in either case it's a 2-3 hour trip so I want to be sure I have everything I need before I go.

I have medical certificate and am getting the Bank letter. I don't have a pension but have over 1 million Baht in the bank.

What I'm unclear on is whether a letter from my Embassy is required. I didn't get one when I got the original visa but as I had an " expediter" who knows, maybe they got it for me.

In various places I have read that:

- only medical certificate and bank letter, copy passbook needed, no embassy letter

- Embassy letter neededonly if pension

- need Embassy letter saying you "want to retire in Thailand", unclear if only first time or also at renewal

- need Embassy letter certifying no criminal record. Again, unclear if for renewal or only first time.

I'm from the US and US Embassy will not provide the " not a criminal letter", they refer one to a long process involving the FBI....$% So if such a letter is really required I'll just shell out for the expediter again. But I'm hoping it's not as it seems silly to pay all that money on top of the visa fees.

Hope someone can clear this up (Lopburi3? Hear you're the expert).

Also - anyone know whether Aranyaprathet immigration has authority to decide on extensions or do they need to send tyo BKK first in which case I may as well go to Bkk. My original visa was issued in BKK.

Thanx in advance

:o Hello, old man retired! I'm the dude that has been going to Alan Immigration and orginally they told me to go back to Pattaya where I first had my one-year extension. I didn't go because my more than beautiful Khmer wife smiled a lot to the General and gave a present, so I finally was allowed to apply at Alan's Office, but let me tell you that it's strickly a jungle outpost, one could say, and I would seriously advise you to go back to the Main Artery Immigration in BKK!

I have just completed my second 1 year retirement extension here in Mae Sot.

I was very well guided on what to take by williamIV Topic 34136. I have never had, or been asked for, anything from my Embassy. I was in and out of the Immigration office within half an hour.

Best of luck,

Tom.

I am not sure what evidence of address is required but my recent application was a change from support to retirement so also had to have wife sign off. What I did provide was:

1. Bank letter less than 10 days old and passbook with copies.

2. Medical certificate.

3. Passport and copies.

4. 4x6cm photo taken within 6 months.

5. 1,900 baht for TM.7 application.

6. (if pension also used) notarized letter of pension from Embassy. AFAIK this can not be obtained by a third party so if you did not do it, it was not done.

I am not sure what evidence of address is required but my recent application was a change from support to retirement so also had to have wife sign off.  What I did provide was:

1.  Bank letter less than 10 days old and passbook with copies.

2.  Medical certificate.

3.  Passport and copies.

4.  4x6cm photo taken within 6 months.

5.  1,900 baht for TM.7 application.

6.  (if pension also used) notarized letter of pension from Embassy.  AFAIK this can not be obtained by a third party so if you did not do it, it was not done.

Thanks for all the help, will apply in Bangkok. In terms of " proof of address", I have a letter from the ampur certifying it but over a year old (I got it after much hassle in registering my car since I'm not in the "tabien baan".). Will this do? Otherweise all I have is the land lease and house title. Thanks.

:

I am not sure what evidence of address is required but my recent application was a change from support to retirement so also had to have wife sign off.  What I did provide was:

2.  Medical certificate.

3.  Passport and copies.

6.  (if pension also used) notarized letter of pension from Embassy.  AFAIK this can not be obtained by a third party so if you did not do it, it was not done.

Thanks for all the help, will apply in Bangkok. In terms of " proof of address", I have a letter from the ampur certifying it but over a year old (I got it after much hassle in registering my car since I'm not in the "tabien baan".). Will this do? Otherweise all I have is the land lease and house title. Thanks.

:o Hello again, I'm at a certain angle to this thread but here goes: it's the continual burning question for me about the pension certificate from my Embassy. Some people are asked for a new orginal copy every year, while some are not. Now I'll be asking for my third one-year extension, and the orginal certificate that I have is from last years extension. I have the extension now based on marriage to a Thai National. The old secretary at Alan said I could use the same orginal the following year. Is that kosher or not? I can drive the 15 hrs. return to BKK and have a new orginal, but I would rather not. Does anybody have any experience about this. I have never been asked for a medical certificate in the past due to my wife has a keen sense for Government employees. Furthermore, I use also the receipts from Visa ATM to show how I bring the money to Thailand, as bank transfers every month arrive often at differing dates making it difficult to meet my bills. Now every year I have successfully managed to use them showing my credit card noting the same numbers on the card as on the receipts. It's all a lot of difficulties in staying in Thailand if you don't have the big cash in the bank every year. I've been online in Thailand for many years also, at least ten continually with short bursts to Europe. That's my stories for now, so thanks for keeping me informed of the goings-on in the Kingdom of Thailand! With Thaivisa.com I would be lost in the wilderness of doubt!

:

2.  Medical certificate.

3.  Passport and copies.

:D Hello again, I'm at a certain angle to this thread but here goes: it's the continual burning question for me about the pension certificate from my Embassy. Some people are asked for a new orginal copy every year, while some are not. Now I'll be asking for my third one-year extension, and the orginal certificate that I have is from last years extension. I have the extension now based on marriage to a Thai National. The old secretary at Alan said I could use the same orginal the following year. Is that kosher or not? I can drive the 15 hrs. return to BKK and have a new orginal, but I would rather not. Does anybody have any experience about this. I have never been asked for a medical certificate in the past due to my wife has a keen sense for Government employees. Furthermore, I use also the receipts from Visa ATM to show how I bring the money to Thailand, as bank transfers every month arrive often at differing dates making it difficult to meet my bills. Now every year I have successfully managed to use them showing my credit card noting the same numbers on the card as on the receipts. It's all a lot of difficulties in staying in Thailand if you don't have the big cash in the bank every year. I've been online in Thailand for many years also, at least ten continually with short bursts to Europe. That's my stories for now, so thanks for keeping me informed of the goings-on in the Kingdom of Thailand! With Thaivisa.com I would be lost in the wilderness of doubt!

:o I made a typographical error! The last line of my reply should say Without Thaivisa.com, I would be lost in wilderness of doubt, but then again there are many confusing reports here about that Embassy Certificate.

2.  Medical certificate.

3.  Passport and copies.

Update: got the extension today in Bangkok with no difficulty and they did not ask for any proof of address. Just the Bank letter, health certificate and photocopies of various pages of my passport and bank book.

2.  Medical certificate.

3.  Passport and copies.

It looks pretty easy to get and the info is understandable to renew a retirement visa. The question I have is. Can I just use a notorized letter of pension from the U.S. Embassy. My monthly pension is enough to cover the requirements, but I don't have the 800K in a thai bank when I renew.

2.  Medical certificate.

3.  Passport and copies.

It looks pretty easy to get and the info is understandable to renew a retirement visa. The question I have is. Can I just use a notorized letter of pension from the U.S. Embassy. My monthly pension is enough to cover the requirements, but I don't have the 800K in a thai bank when I renew.

You must have a bank account. But the good news is that it does not have to contain 800k or any fixed amount - just have an account with something in it and the bank letter.