Wearing Helmet !

LoneRider

I saw yesterday on TV news, if I understood it right, that there is new law for waering helmet.

Until now only the driver has to wear a helmet, the second person don´t have to.

But now the second person has to wear a helmet too and the BIB will charge you for that too.huh.gif

(If both don´t wear a helmet, they will charge you two times !)

The law has always been that both rider and passenger must wear a helmet but it has just been ignored up to now. I was recently in Penang and the difference between the two places was stunning. 99.9% of both riders and passengers wear a helmet and the general standard of driving in both cars and bikes was again totally different. All for the better I might add. In certain places they are pretty good at enforcing the law yet in others abysmal.

Will it change ? :blink:

I very much sadly doubt it. :(

BillD Hi

1 Its too hot !

2 It messes up my hair

3 They didn't give me one when I rented it

4 Nobody else does so why should I ?

5 It's my choice not to wear one as it is only me that is killed so there !

You can also add your own to this list as they seem to be endless.

I even have a friend who had a big off and spent a few weeks in hospital with his head cracked wide open and he still flies round without wearing a helmet :o

The law has always been that both rider and passenger must wear a helmet but it has just been ignored up to now. I was recently in Penang and the difference between the two places was stunning. 99.9% of both riders and passengers wear a helmet and the general standard of driving in both cars and bikes was again totally different. All for the better I might add. In certain places they are pretty good at enforcing the law yet in others abysmal.

Why sad? You want to live in a police state- go back to the west. Here in Thailand it's Darwin at work. Ride On! :jap:

Why sad? You want to live in a police state- go back to the west. Here in Thailand it's Darwin at work. Ride On! :jap:

seconded

Even some Policestates have dropped helmet laws. If you want to smash your head, feel free to enjoy doing it :)

When the Thai politicians decide that the LAW no longer requires you to wear said crash helmet then I will concur that if the idiot wishes to ride a bike without one and risk his life then fine let him. Till then the LAW states you are required to wear one so we get back to Farangs just wanting to cheery pick the laws they choose to obey <deleted> :o

When the Thai politicians decide that the LAW no longer requires you to wear said crash helmet then I will concur that if the idiot wishes to ride a bike without one and risk his life then fine let him. Till then the LAW states you are required to wear one so we get back to Farangs just wanting to cheery pick the laws they choose to obey <deleted> :o

Not to make this into a discussion on Thai laws, but they are not always on par with what the majority of the population do

Girls having babies before age 19

passengers in pickup beds and more than 3 people inside a 2 door pickup

more than 2 people on one MC

samlors

all drivers/riders need a DL

helmets, countryside no one wears one, cops neither

drunk driving

bringing your passport at all times (copy accepted) or Thai ID

as long as we accept to be punished for the above, there should be no moral preache to not obey them ;)

BillD Hi

1 Its too hot !

2 It messes up my hair

3 They didn't give me one when I rented it

4 Nobody else does so why should I ?

5 It's my choice not to wear one as it is only me that is killed so there !

You can also add your own to this list as they seem to be endless.

I even have a friend who had a big off and spent a few weeks in hospital with his head cracked wide open and he still flies round without wearing a helmet :o

To answer your questions in a similar vein

1 Yes it is but it beats the crap out of ice and snow

2 No problem for me as most of my hair fell out years ago

3 But you were issued with a brain when you were born but not necessarily the sense to use it

4 Lots of other people do but lemmings play follow my leader of a cliff

5 True it is your choice though your family may regret your choice at some time in the future

I came off my wife's Mio scooter 4 years ago simply by being stupid. I came to a U turn in the village, got 3/4 of the way around at about 15 kph, dumped my 62 year old brain (at that time) for a 16 year old one and whacked the throttle wide open.

The back wheel went straight out from under me on the grit and I got dumped in the road bashing my right knee, shoulder and head.

I remember thinking that this will hurt............... and it did.

I still have the scar on my knee and on my arm, the scooter still has the scars and my head

I had a helmet on and though it hurt my head was fine.

Unfortunately when I got home both ears started to hurt from my wife giving me a hard time and justly so.

Since then I always wear a helmet.

Mate, I'm not advocating riding without a helmet, I'm just saying that for those who are STUPID enough to do so, let Darwin sort them out.

Because you certainly can't count on Thai "Law Enforcement" to actually enforce the laws, can you?

And come on, are you gonna tell me that you've never broken a law here in Thailand?

Never gone faster than the posted speed limit?

Never driven or ridden after a couple drinks?

Never played cards for some money?

etc etc etc.

Happy Trails!

T

Not to make this into a discussion on Thai laws, but they are not always on par with what the majority of the population do

Girls having babies before age 19

passengers in pickup beds and more than 3 people inside a 2 door pickup

more than 2 people on one MC

samlors

all drivers/riders need a DL

helmets, countryside no one wears one, cops neither

drunk driving

bringing your passport at all times (copy accepted) or Thai ID

as long as we accept to be punished for the above, there should be no moral preache to not obey them ;)

I'm sorry but as said when the law decides you don't need one I will be all for choice. At present it isnt and your argument that just because the majority of the people ignore the fact is what brings about anarchy. Lots of people smoke illegal drugs but that doesn't make it OK. and putting not carrying your license in the same way as not wearing a helmet is childish. Not having your license will not kill you as for the others.

As I said it boils down to people wanting to cherry pick the laws they will abide by and those they ignore. If you disagree with a law then fight to get it changed. Its called democracy. The fact we are living in another country should also make us respect the law a little more if anything.

You would not ignore the helmet laws back in the UK or Europe as if you did you would soon loose your right to ride and be a lot of money lighter in the pocket.

Helmets?

I was riding with a Real Ozzy which if fine for in the city at slow speed.

Just bought a full carbon-fibre Bell full face helmet and it feels so great!

(Yes was bloody expensive but at least I got a nice bag and spare-parts with it)

Chang Noi

The fact we are living in another country should also make us respect the law a little more if anything.

"Respect the law"... in Thailand?! :cheesy:

There's not a man woman or child in this country that doesn't know they are supposed to wear a helmet. If they choose not to, then they are responsible for the consequences, whether it be a backhander to the BIB or a cracked skull.

"Law Enforcement" is an oxymoron in this country, isn't it?

Dare I say it's the "mai pen rai", "up to you" laissez faire attitude of Thailand that attracts many Westerners seeking a respite from the overbearing rules and regulations that their heavy handed police state governments impose back home... :whistling:

Dear Thailand, please don't change- I love you just the way you are :wub::Thaiflag::thumbsup: :jap:

Hi Op,

Do you see a helmet stand at any taxi stand in Bangkok, or two helemts hanging from any taxi Motorbike, or how about tourists walking around with helmets (just in case they decide to take a motorbike taxi). That's gonna take SOME TIME :whistling: .

As far as should one wear, or not wear a helmet. Up to you. It'll sort itself out in the end.;)

Although my bike doesnt move it the rider/riders does not have one on.

:jap:

Hi Op,

Do you see a helmet stand at any taxi stand in Bangkok, or two helemts hanging from any taxi Motorbike, or how about tourists walking around with helmets (just in case they decide to take a motorbike taxi). That's gonna take SOME TIME :whistling: .

As far as should one wear, or not wear a helmet. Up to you. It'll sort itself out in the end.;)

Although my bike doesnt move it the rider/riders does not have one on.

:jap:

If you are living somewhere as lawless as Bangkok what do you expect. You should come to Pattaya and see how it is done properly - I can't remember not being offered a helmet here when I have used a motorbike taxi in the last 3-4 months. :)

In Vietnam it seems like everywhere that I have visited that unlike Thailand almost 100% of motorcycle riders and passengers are wearing helmets. I keep wondering what the difference is there that makes this so. Is it cultural? A matter of enforcement or what?

I noticed some interesting things about the helmets in Vietnam. Many looked like the cheapest possible helmet and barely effective. Some were not motorcycle helmets but construction hard hats and other types of helmets. I also noticed that quite a few people were wearing some kind of hat under their helmet. Maybe that was just because the helmets were too big or maybe the helmets had no padding otherwise.

In HCMC I saw something I'll never forget. A motorcycle with four people on it braked suddenly in traffic. All four people were about the same height and all their helmets bumped together at the same time. Kind of like an upside down Newton's Cradle if you know what that is. It was quite amusing.

What like the law that you cant smoke in bars. That bars outside of designated nightlife zones close at 12.. That P4P is illegal.. Assume your home tucked up in bed, while carrying your original passport, every night at 12 ??

I sometimes ride my scoot without a helmet.. The only person I am risking is me.. I like the wind on my scalp and feeling of freedom. Sures its dumb, but if its the most dumb thing I do today, then I am happy.. You will never see me on a big bike without a helmet.

My head, my life, my choice, I feel.

What like the law that you cant smoke in bars. That bars outside of designated nightlife zones close at 12.. That P4P is illegal.. Assume your home tucked up in bed, while carrying your original passport, every night at 12 ??

I sometimes ride my scoot without a helmet.. The only person I am risking is me.. I like the wind on my scalp and feeling of freedom. Sures its dumb, but if its the most dumb thing I do today, then I am happy.. You will never see me on a big bike without a helmet.

Why not ? :unsure:

The fact we are living in another country should also make us respect the law a little more if anything.

"Respect the law"... in Thailand?! :cheesy:

There's not a man woman or child in this country that doesn't know they are supposed to wear a helmet. If they choose not to, then they are responsible for the consequences, whether it be a backhander to the BIB or a cracked skull.

"Law Enforcement" is an oxymoron in this country, isn't it?

Dare I say it's the "mai pen rai", "up to you" laissez faire attitude of Thailand that attracts many Westerners seeking a respite from the overbearing rules and regulations that their heavy handed police state governments impose back home... :whistling:

Dear Thailand, please don't change- I love you just the way you are :wub::Thaiflag::thumbsup: :jap:

agreebiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Why not ? :unsure:

Because the speeds are so different..

On the scoot, on some small back lanes.. I am doing only decent pushbike speeds sometimes. Sure anything can happen at any speed, I could trip off a kerb and kill myslef.. But the chances of injury at 40 or 180 are wildly different.

And dont take it as some rabid anti helmet rant.. I usually wear one even on the scoot, but sometimes I choose not to knowing full well the risk.

Edited by LivinLOS

"Dare I say it's the "mai pen rai", "up to you" laissez faire attitude of Thailand that attracts many Westerners seeking a respite from the overbearing rules and regulations that their heavy handed police state governments impose back hom."

This is a heavily weighted statement. "Overbearing" and "heavy handed" and "state governments" in these cases refer to nations where democracy is more advanced. By and large, however, the statement does identify a kind of thinking of a minority who suppose that they are in the right and western societies wrong; it is the "nanny-state" thinking bunch. That is, they suppose that they know better.

But I doubt that people come here in any great numbers in order to participate in chaos, where expats pick and choose which laws they like to follow. They come because Thailand has warm to hot weather, because of the sex industry, but above all because it is relatively cheap for its comforts.

The argument for helmets from the general point of view that catches my interest has to do with survivors who have not worn helmets who become vegetables for the rest of their lives. Who pays for their care? Never mind dreaming alternatives; as things are, working people pay for vegetables who have been created by not wearing helmets (or seat belts, come to that).

The argument for helmets from the general point of view that catches my interest has to do with survivors who have not worn helmets who become vegetables for the rest of their lives. Who pays for their care? Never mind dreaming alternatives; as things are, working people pay for vegetables who have been created by not wearing helmets (or seat belts, come to that).

I always wear a helmet but if others choose not to, that's their choice.

Look at the positive side-

The best source of organ donors, healthy people who die unexpectedly, has always been motorcycle riders. Ask any transplant surgeon. While fatalities from car accidents have declined dramatically in recent years, thanks to air bags and other safety technologies, fatalities among motorcycle riders actually rose some 5% (almost 5,000 people) last year. And, the situation is getting worse as older people join the ranks of the 20 to 30 year olds and as helmet use becomes a thing of the past. The sad truth is that organ donors are more plentiful than ever before thanks to these trends.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, riders were 34 times more likely to die in highway accidents than those in cars, when adjusted for miles traveled. (2007 figures) With older people joining the ranks of riders (those in their 40s), the number of people on motorcycles is increasing, as is the number of healthy organ donors on the road. To compound things, states are – for some unknown reason – repealing laws requiring riders to wear helmets. Some thirty states have repealed helmet laws despite clear evidence that helmets prevent deaths.

Happy Trails!

Tony