Could Thai Gold Lose Its Value

dmax

whistling.gif wife wants another 5 baht of gold next week, how much is 1 baht gold now, where is it cheapest to buy ? will be in pattaya and bhkk on 3rd feb. also would /could gold ever lose its value, wife is crazy and every penny she saves it goes into gold, i am not so sure blink.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai Gold Jewelry is 95% pure. Saleable, pawnable.

For investment buy Kruger rands or Credit Swiss ingots. 99.999 % Maple Leafs American Eagles. etc.

Gold Master & the like sell closer to 24k but it is VERY soft.

Gold could go to $1000 or it could go to $4000. With moron Bernanke in charge I'd say the latter.

Gold is Gold is Gold Thai or otherwise.

The price will be the same wherever you go, although will fluctuate with the world markets by the day, hour, minute, second.

The price at the moment is high will it go higher maybe?

A year from now maybe it's halved or doubled?

5 baht now will set you back nearly 100k Baht 2k stearling not a small investment.

Edited by kevkev1888

This is like playing the money markets.

Unless you are in the know about these matters or have money to lose in a gamble, my advice is; leave well alone, leave playing the game to the professionals.

yea i know but try telling a thai woman that rolleyes.gif ive made enough bad investments over the years .

The price will be the same wherever you go,

Gold varies by purity & thus price.

Price that most folks see is Spot price on the COMEX

Even that price is not what you can buy it for unless you want to buy a 100 ounce minimum in gold or 5000 oz min in Silver contract through the COMEX & then take physical delivery of it.

For common traded items like Maples, Eagles, Krugerrands etc...a one ounce coin does in fact

have one ounce of 99.99% gold because they vary the weight of the actual coin...ie: a 22k one ounce coin is heavier than a 24k one ounce coin

So while a Eagle is 22k & a Maple 24k they both hold an ounce of pure gold valued at the COMEX spot price + a premium.

Same holds true for bars...credit suisse etc..ie: a premium is attached

All else being equal

Thai gold price would be adjusted from spot due to it being 96.5%

To the OP......Time to buy depends on the person. Gold is a commodity so the price will fluctuate.

But yes to most Thai's the time to buy is when they have money ;)

Not a bad way to go as they treat it like their savings account & probably gain a better interest rate than any

Western bank on a similar savings account.

Edited by flying

One baht of Thai gold is 1/2 of one troy ounce.

1 Troy Ounce = 31.1034768 grams

So one baht is around 15.5 grams. Price is in every gold shop window everyday & in the newspaper.

wrong! when it's jewelry one baht weight is 15.160g, when gold bars then one baht weight is 15.244g (both less than half a troy ounce)

Thai Gold Jewelry is 95% pure

wrong! thai gold jewelry comes in various purities. the so-called "thai gold" has a purity of 96.5% :jap:

Your wife is a very smart woman. When the food riots start an ounce of gold can maybe buy a house.

or an aircraft carrier. then one grows vegetables in the living room or on the carriers deck and avoids any food riots in a most elegant manner.

:ph34r:

In 2003 Gold was around US 400.- per ounce, today it is over US $ 1,300.- .

Asians in particular love Gold as an investment and, for example, as China and India become richer the demand will increase; so - long term - the price will continue to climb as demand increases and supply decreases.

Physical Gold - i.e. stuff you can buy and actually hold yourself, is definitely the way to go - ignore "Gold Certificates" etc. being offered by many Investment houses - the amount of Gold being Traded in this way far exceeds the amount of Gold ever mined, so if (when) the wheels eventually fall off the world economy and you try to"redeeem" the "Certificate" at the same time as everyone else you will find there is no physical "product" to back up the piece of paper you hold.

Patrick

The price will be the same wherever you go,

Gold varies by purity & thus price.

Price that most folks see is Spot price on the COMEX

Even that price is not what you can buy it for unless you want to buy a 100 ounce minimum in gold or 5000 oz min in Silver contract through the COMEX & then take physical delivery of it.

For common traded items like Maples, Eagles, Krugerrands etc...a one ounce coin does in fact

have one ounce of 99.99% gold because they vary the weight of the actual coin...ie: a 22k one ounce coin is heavier than a 24k one ounce coin

So while a Eagle is 22k & a Maple 24k they both hold an ounce of pure gold valued at the COMEX spot price + a premium.

Same holds true for bars...credit suisse etc..ie: a premium is attached

All else being equal

Thai gold price would be adjusted from spot due to it being 96.5%

To the OP......Time to buy depends on the person. Gold is a commodity so the price will fluctuate.

But yes to most Thai's the time to buy is when they have money ;)

Not a bad way to go as they treat it like their savings account & probably gain a better interest rate than any

Western bank on a similar savings account.

Try the iphone app mysiamgold. It gives daily rates in baht for baht. Both buy and sell and bullion and jewelry.

Thats were I get my quotes. Matches the window every time.

Good luck getting a Thai to buy bullion.

I will say though it is comforting to have some portable wealth on hand.

In 2003 Gold was around US 400.- per ounce, today it is over US $ 1,300.- .

Asians in particular love Gold as an investment and, for example, as China and India become richer the demand will increase; so - long term - the price will continue to climb as demand increases and supply decreases.

Physical Gold - i.e. stuff you can buy and actually hold yourself, is definitely the way to go - ignore "Gold Certificates" etc. being offered by many Investment houses - the amount of Gold being Traded in this way far exceeds the amount of Gold ever mined, so if (when) the wheels eventually fall off the world economy and you try to"redeeem" the "Certificate" at the same time as everyone else you will find there is no physical "product" to back up the piece of paper you hold.

Patrick

Great information only to be filed under the conspiracy nut category. Some folks cannot edit themselves.

If the global economy were to fail is your concern then don't buy gold, buy a gun (s).

When passing through the Dubai airport I always see little gold bars. I've thought about buying one or two each time I go through there, but haven't a clue which gold bar would be worth the expense (they have many different kinds...brands?).

Any insight from those of you in the know?

Edited by Shivers

Unless you are in the know about these matters or have money to lose in a gamble, my advice is; leave well alone, leave playing the game to the professionals.

yea i know but try telling a thai woman that rolleyes.gif ive made enough bad investments over the years .

Glad to see you back Dmax. Was worried about you.

Thai gold loses it's value very quickly when it is pawned to get money for a guesthouse deposit in Pattaya. Specially since the deal was not concluded.

I've never personally bought gold in Thailand but am interested in acquiring some as an investment. Say I were to walk into one if the many shops at MBK, and I already know the daily rate for 1 baht of gold. How can I tell that the 1 baht gold necklace I'm holding is really 96.5% gild and not 50% or some other scam?

I've never personally bought gold in Thailand but am interested in acquiring some as an investment. Say I were to walk into one if the many shops at MBK, and I already know the daily rate for 1 baht of gold. How can I tell that the 1 baht gold necklace I'm holding is really 96.5% gild and not 50% or some other scam?

jewelry is not an investment as you lose the value of the workmanship when trying to sell. moreover, any potential scamming with jewelry is much easier to accomplish than scamming with a gold bar.

When passing through the Dubai airport I always see little gold bars. I've thought about buying one or two each time I go through there, but haven't a clue which gold bar would be worth the expense (they have many different kinds...brands?).

Any insight from those of you in the know?

kind, brands = mai pen rai! what counts and what you pay for is purity and weight.

Glad to see you back Dmax. Was worried about you.

Thai gold loses it's value very quickly when it is pawned to get money for a guesthouse deposit in Pattaya. Specially since the deal was not concluded.

hi prefabs, not much gets by you wink.gif you dont need to remind me matey, im still pullin my hair out annoyed.gif