How Do I Create My Own Web Site

JetsetBkk

Apologies for any wrong terminology.

So what do I do if I wanted to create a web site?

I can learn HTML - been doing it for at least, ooh, about 20 minutes - and it looks pretty straight forward. I've got pictures to be displayed and links to other pages to work already. :)

So how do I upload it and to where? And are their free web hosting services? I'm on TOT, and I don't know if they give any free web space.

I'd give it some thought as to whether you really need your own web site (domain name and full control over what you can do with it) or could use one of the many free blogging web sites instead. I'd say that 99% of personal web sites created by individuals are a bit of a mess and never come to anything. If you want your own web site and a more professional look to go with it, you might consider installing Wordpress or similar. This is a big step up from creating your own static pages but you can get much more from it in the long term.

I suggest check this site http://linkmi.net/ it shows you all the options and ideas.

Are you sure you want learn coding yourself, basic HTML won't bring you bring you far, and from now on you will be occupied with learning good coding and the never ending updates. What do you need, getting a functional website online as soon as possible, or to learn all the ins and outs of coding and after few years being able to create a decent looking website ? With http://webpage-maker.com you can create a good looking website within minutes, nothing to do with coding. The codes this tools generate are becoming better all the time, for a webshop there are different options, no need to learn coding for that either. Usually good coders are poor designers and good designers are poor coders, and depends what are your priorities.

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

With the large amount of services like Go Daddy which allow you to get a domain name and hosting and provide templates etc for your pages you dont need ANY html experience. So, unless you particularly want or like messing woth html then you really dont need it.

There are also freeware programs of WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) for creating pages and uploading.

Have fun !

Edited by CharlieH

I'd give it some thought as to whether you really need your own web site ...

Thanks cat5 - all suggestions taken on board and will be doing a lot of Googling - "blogging web sites", "free web hosting", "free web space"...

I suggest check this site http://linkmi.net/ it shows you all the options and ideas.

Are you sure you want learn coding yourself...<snip>

Thanks for your links too, bangkokcitylimits.

Re. coders and designers... :) I think I agree. I've had over 25 years experience designing/coding/debugging - mostly microprocessor assembler. So high level languages and HTML is all new, but it looks pretty straightforward.

Clearly, there are school kids who know a lot more than I do now about web site design and programming, so I'm just gathering information at the moment.

With the large amount of services like Go Daddy which allow you to get a domain name and hosting and provide templates etc for your pages you dont need ANY html experience. So, unless you particularly want or like messing woth html then you really dont need it.

There are also freeware programs of WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) for creating pages and uploading.

Have fun !

Thanks - another Google search to be done for "Go Daddy"! :)

I would like to get to know HTML programming - as I said earlier, I wrote a couple of pages and linked them and put a different picture in each page and they look pretty good in my Firefox. Clearly there are masses of HTML tags to learn, but I'm pretty good at copying what other people have done and learning how it works.

The whole point of this, which maybe I should've mentioned earlier, is to give my g/f a web site for her new shop.

So a few pretty pictures of what she sells plus prices is all that is needed at the moment although the requirements are bound to grow - such as placing orders via the web site.

No need to learn any code unless you really want to. blogger.com or wordpress.com might serve your purposes. Or if you have a Mac and want your own domain, iWeb is nice for basic stuff.

Again, thanks for the links - a couple of names that I have heard in the past, but never really investigated in depth.

If you want to learn some HTML, I suggest you take a look at these:

http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

Those two links have everything you need to know as a beginner and I wouldn't even bother looking at other web sites.

It is always useful to know some HTML even when using a WYSIWYG editor as they frequently mess up the coding or do it badly. This is particularly true when applying styling to a page. You'll also need to know some HTML and CSS if you plan to edit themes on a blogging site.

I would like to get to know HTML programming - as I said earlier, I wrote a couple of pages and linked them and put a different picture in each page and they look pretty good in my Firefox. Clearly there are masses of HTML tags to learn, but I'm pretty good at copying what other people have done and learning how it works.

The whole point of this, which maybe I should've mentioned earlier, is to give my g/f a web site for her new shop.

So a few pretty pictures of what she sells plus prices is all that is needed at the moment although the requirements are bound to grow - such as placing orders via the web site.

There aren't really that many tags to learn and most of them use the same attributes, so it shouldn't take you long to learn them all. Use an up-to-date web site or reference book to make sure you don't use deprecated tags.

If you want an online shop then you should consider using something that runs on PHP and MYSQL. There are many free solutions for online shops, and you should start with a bit of Googling. Don't even consider starting from scratch as you appear to be doing.

Nobody seems to have asked the obvious first question(s): What do you want to do with this website? A simple one page "this is me" site, a photo-gallery, a blog, a photo-blog? Will you want to take and display comments or other input from your visitors? Will you want to sell something/take payments (now or in the future)? Will you want dynamic content (content that changes according to visitors actions, preferences or origin)?

Have you seen any sites on the Web that you can point to and say "I'd like something like that".

Saying "I'd like a website" is like saying "I'd like a vehicle" - bicycle/horse and trap/lorry/helicopter...?

Have fun !

Setup a host, don't use a hosting provider based out of Thailand, they will screw you and if you have a problem and need technical support, they will ignore you.

Use something like Just host which is a little better then and faster response times on Customer service issues and able to resolve issues such as Domain, database issues, e-mail. The turnaround is less than 30 min. for most support tickets.

Go Daddy, the words is. Go Daddy, will take your money and ignore you if you have an issue. Though they will set you up and when you need support, forget it.

Bluehost is ok. That’s what most of the guys at one of the social networking groups suggested was either Justhost or Bluehost.

Platforms’ such as Wordpress or try the new Joomla CMS (no HTML, Easy to use, many template to choose from, Module based and more), both are easy to configure and setup. Thaivisa.com uses Joomla as its CMS for this site.

Thanks everyone for your input.

All responses are very much appreciated and if you want to post about your experiences of web sites and/or web hosting providers and/or web site builder software, then please carry on.

But as I currently have zero experience I'll just be reading what you write! :)

And Googling.

Lots of Googling. :(

Thanks everyone for your input.

All responses are very much appreciated and if you want to post about your experiences of web sites and/or web hosting providers and/or web site builder software, then please carry on.

But as I currently have zero experience I'll just be reading what you write! :)

And Googling.

Lots of Googling. :(

Try this free http://www.moonfruit.com/ or http://www.weebly.com for hosting simple website.

GoDaddy is fine for hosting etc. but their web page creators are rubbish. I had a paid for one and have 3 free ones just sitting which I will never use. I didn't want much but it couldn't deliver even that without enless hours of tinkering and faffing about. Cheaper to earn money and pay someone to do it for you.

With http://webpage-maker.com you can create a good looking website within minutes, nothing to do with coding.

That looks amazing, website is so well produced, usability, graphics everything. Well done! You are a rock star web developer! THis is the future..

Are you, by any chance, the owner of "webpage-maker.com"? :D

I have been using Go Daddy for a few years & makes the whole process quite easy as you can register the domain name, plus you can get a free website if you want but I think they put advertising on it. A 5 page website which you can make up quite quickly using their templates is not expensive. You can also easily install a shopping cart. When you take a package the costs are not high plus they always have special discounts.