Buy A Car And Get Thai Driving License

Hi

I'm going to Thailand in October with my non-immigrant O visa and I'm planning to buy a car and get the thai driving license.

I need the proof of adress to do buy a car and to get the Thai driving license , correct?

But when can I ask for the proof of adress at the immigration , do I have to wait to extend my non-imm visa and then 90 days report before I can get the proof of adress ??

What about asking at the Belgium Embassy , is that possible to get that in the first 90 days?

Thanks

The ONLY way to obtain your Proof of Residence in the circumstances that you describe and for the purposes you require, is from your own country's Embassy in Thailand, unless you are willing to wait until you have been in the country for 90 days and then try and get it from Immigration. However, in Bangkok at least, even if you obtain a letter from Immigration after 90 days to enable you to Register the vehicle, you will still need a letter from your Embassy to obtain your Thai drivers Licence as they do not accept any other proof. The Embassy letter can also be used to Register the vehicle. Also, it would be a very good idea if you obtain an International Drivers Permit from your home country before you depart dated from the date you will arrive in Thailand and valid for one year, as this will enable you to drive legally from day one, and a rental car is handy for driving around from garage to garage when trying to negotiate the best price for your new car. Good luck.

Rick

You can drive for some 30 days, maybe even 90 without a Thai DL.

You can even buy a car without one (just passport) I believe as long as you pay cash.

Be sure to bring your home DL with you as that will make getting the Thai DL a 2 hr process rather than a whole day (driver's test and written test).

Hi

I'm going to Thailand in October with my non-immigrant O visa and I'm planning to buy a car and get the thai driving license.

I need the proof of adress to do buy a car and to get the Thai driving license , correct?

But when can I ask for the proof of adress at the immigration , do I have to wait to extend my non-imm visa and then 90 days report before I can get the proof of adress ??

What about asking at the Belgium Embassy , is that possible to get that in the first 90 days?

Thanks

Avantgarde, Riley's Life is spot on this is your solution.

You can drive a Thai car legally here for as long as you have a valid licence from back home and and IDP thats valid to go with it.(many folks drive for years with just the home licence with no problems.)

The Thai DL is a great doc to have in your wallet and its value way exceeds the 105 baht it willcost you.

Thank you so much for all your answers.

Now I know how to do to get the proof of residence , buy a car and Thai DL.

I remember I read somewhere here that if there is any accident happen and you don't have Thai DL , the insurance will not covered that.

That's why I want to have Thai DL.

Cheers

Yes you need a proof of residence from your embassy, the Thai immigration can also supply a similar document (a bit more difficult to get)

If you planning to buy a new car, there are some lovely new models on the horizon, Toyota Yaris 1.4L Diesel.... See http://farang.pai-nai.com/article.php?stor...050904033143604

-----------------------------

Oh! I forgot one thing....

Which documents do I need to get the proof of residence at the embassy?

Well , I will stay with my parents in law's house , so I will not have any renting contract.

Thanks again

Thanks all for the answers.

Nongkhai immigration is quite far for me , we will stay in Bangkok.

Can you get the proof of residence from the first 90 days in Nongkhai?

Can you please tell me which documents do I need to get the proof of residence at the embassy? I've already asked this question up there but nobody give me an answer for that :o

Cheers

I am sure it varies from embassy to embassy but my embassy just wanted me to give them the address - preferably in Thai (I gave them a bill that had my name on it - but they only had the rule in order to get the address right they said - not to check on me). They made the certificate in Thai. baht 1400.

Hope helps. Cheers!