Cm Housing Market

mccw

I'm thinking about selling my house.

Has anyone sold recently? How'd it go?; time till sale, many viewings etc? What methods did you use to sell? Most people seem to litterally just hang a sign on the gate; this probably may have alot to do with why so long to sale.

How about pricing? I see many places with signs on them for years it seems. I guess because totaly unrealistic price. But what would you call unrealistic? For example my place is a 3bed good sized bungalow in a quality moobaan with pool, gym etc about 15 mins toward sangkampeang from the airport, which i bought for 1.6 mil 4 years ago; I've added a falang spec kitchen (hand made teak and granite), plus 3 aircons, a shaded roof area on the back, made the garden nice with trees and things, so have spent a bit on the place that the next person would benifit from. Given this could i get a bit more than what I first paid or do you think it simply wont sell as people would always rather buy new? I'm in no rush; so I'm leaning towards my ladies way of thinking which is try 1.8 mil and maybe a falang will want it, as no hassles sorting out all the things a new home needs doing to it in this country. If i did this i thought to include furniture so absolutely nothing to do, ready to move strait in. At this price, everything total spent would be more than the asking 1.8 price so still not a bad deal. What do you think? Should i offer a 30 year lease as an option? Are there any risks to this? like secured debts of the leasee or something i've not considered?

Cheers for any useful in put.

thanks

Seems a little cheap I mean what you are asking. We built ours 4 yrs ago for 1.9 m and it is valued at 3.5 today. We live in the Sansai area. My wife works for a farang owned real estate agent. If I were you I would a valuation done before you sell it off.

Seems a little cheap I mean what you are asking. We built ours 4 yrs ago for 1.9 m and it is valued at 3.5 today. We live in the Sansai area. My wife works for a farang owned real estate agent. If I were you I would a valuation done before you sell it off.

Really?! Thats great news. I'll not be getting my hopes up too much though. I'm always reading things about people expecting a discount from the purchase price as apparrently thai's don't like 'second hand homes'. There are 4 bed, 2 level houses i see starting at around 2 mil, but on barely enough land to hold the building; I'm talking literaly not even a meter to the boundry everyside. Maybe I'm getting my prices wrong and the advertised prices are just for the building itself and then the land is extra on top of that price.

Could you please PM me the agents details you are talking about? Or maybe your wife would like to introduce the property to them if she gets commision; I don't mind either way.

Thanks very much.

I think there's a big range of prices that any given scale of house goes for. This is because the perceived value to some people, especially non-locals, differs from the cost of construction, although that must have gone up a lot in recent years.

The artistic value of the house design and interior seems to count for a lot, while in the UK for example a given number of rooms in a given area is a fairly simple formula.

We prefer to build ourself (with a builder of course) rather than buy for this reason. I know a 3 bedroom house similar to your description on the market for 2 million, after having gone unsold for many years at 2.75.

I think that your prices seem reasonable for what you paid for it. Just because you get some appraisal that over values your property that doesn't mean people will actually pay for it.

Since no one has mentioned the actual size of the plot, you cannot tell value. You do realize that the price of the house is usually cheaper than the land?

I assume your small house is only on about 60 Talang Wah of land. Since there are many new single floor houses being built on land that sized for less than 1million. I have seen as low as 800K and as much as 1.2.

15K out of the city is quite far. Though the Sansai area seems to be developing at a faster rate than other directions out of the city, there area also 3 time the number of places being sold out there.

You shouldn't be paying more than 10K baht per talang Wah, I know of a few places that are only 5K from the airport that are 8K/talang wah.

The person claiming 1.9-3.2 million in 4 years, did you actually sell it at that price and how long was it on the market? If the valuation was actually true, then that is an incredible piece of land speculation.

One falsehood is that land and houses always increase in value.

If people are selling land plots in your area, for less than you paid per square wah, then you will not sell your house for a profit.

Who would pay more for an older house?

First things first.

Have some chats with your neighbors. Inquire how much they believe they’re properties are worth. Try to find out if anyone has sold lately and how much they sold for. This will give you some idea of the property values in your area.

In some areas the locals use the services of a local taxi driver to put the word round that a property is for sale. Most often used are those motorbike tuk tuk type taxis that take passengers to and from the local markets in any particular area. The incentive for the taxi driver is a 3% commission on the selling price. 3% is the usual commission given to anyone that sends a buyer your way and if they do purchase the property.

Next: display a for sale board on your property, in Thai and English if possible, then advertise here on Thai visa classifieds and check out any other free classified Chiang Mai advertising websites, there are many on them.

There are real estate agents in the town and quite honestly I would avoid if possible. They are normally only interested in the big expensive stuff so as they can grab high commissions just for advertising a property. These agents will show little interest in low to middle value properties and will always push the expensive real estate first.

Another option that sometimes gains results is to have a little private chat with a head clerk at your bank. Tell him/her that there is a 3% commission up for grabs. He may have some discrete talks with customers who appear to be seeking properties advertised on the boards. This actually worked for my friend.

Good luck and success with your sale.

First things first.

Have some chats with your neighbors. Inquire how much they believe they're properties are worth. Try to find out if anyone has sold lately and how much they sold for. This will give you some idea of the property values in your area.

In some areas the locals use the services of a local taxi driver to put the word round that a property is for sale. Most often used are those motorbike tuk tuk type taxis that take passengers to and from the local markets in any particular area. The incentive for the taxi driver is a 3% commission on the selling price. 3% is the usual commission given to anyone that sends a buyer your way and if they do purchase the property.

Next: display a for sale board on your property, in Thai and English if possible, then advertise here on Thai visa classifieds and check out any other free classified Chiang Mai advertising websites, there are many on them.

There are real estate agents in the town and quite honestly I would avoid if possible. They are normally only interested in the big expensive stuff so as they can grab high commissions just for advertising a property. These agents will show little interest in low to middle value properties and will always push the expensive real estate first.

Another option that sometimes gains results is to have a little private chat with a head clerk at your bank. Tell him/her that there is a 3% commission up for grabs. He may have some discrete talks with customers who appear to be seeking properties advertised on the boards. This actually worked for my friend.

Excellent tips.

the more people you let in on that you are going to sell with a commission the better your chances. Here in thailand as else where in the world word of mouth can work wonders. Especially in banks they come in contact more often with potential buyers than most people.

First things first.

Have some chats with your neighbors. Inquire how much they believe they're properties are worth. Try to find out if anyone has sold lately and how much they sold for. This will give you some idea of the property values in your area.

Excellent tips.

the more people you let in on that you are going to sell with a commission the better your chances. Here in thailand as else where in the world word of mouth can work wonders. Especially in banks they come in contact more often with potential buyers than most people.

Cheers for the bank man sly idea.

For the other guy; its 84 dlw by the way.