Local Camera Repair By Manufacturer

Rasseru

I am thinking of buying a quality digital camera of some kind, not professional, probably, but well beyond entry level amateur. A friend living in Europe, in making various recommendations, has advised me to consider buying a camera whose manufacturer has a local office or presence of some kind, and a good reputation for doing repair work.

If you have any knowledge or experience concerning having a digital camera made by any of the leading Japanese or other manufacturers repaired locally by the manufacturer or an official repair centre, I would be grateful to hear about it from you.

My Wife has a Sony which went Kaput and we took it to the Sony Service Center on Hang Dong Road. Inspected it, said what parts were needed, costed, sent for the parts and all repaired within a week. Very good service indeed.

Location:- Coming out of town.....Hang Dong Road, pass 'Big C' intersection....pass 'Makro'...about 1k further on you will see a a large red sign with an Apple above your side and a 'u' turn on your right. Turn at that point and it's almost opposite the Apple.

well if you want to look at quality cameras, have a nice chat with the staff who can speak decent english, at the canon store at airport central.

before you buy a camera, decide what your intentions are, what you want from the camera, what you want the camera to produce, what you intend to do with the images, that way you'll find a camera to suit your needs.

the worst case scenario is buying a cheaper camera that doesnt live up to your expectations, then having to replace pretty quick.

i recently upgraded to a full frame canon, spectacular results, it will last me for at least 5-10 yrs.

lenses, always go for the best lenses you can afford, lenses will last you a lifetime, camera bodies you can change as and when you need to, just a note, most case scenarios is that a canon lens wont fit into a nikon body, and vice versa.

the canon store has a multitude of equipment, but you cannot buy directly from them, they are a service centre, which is reassuring if you have any probs.

i bought all my gear from the photo bug shop,on the same floor as canon in central, very helpful, and great english, since then ive found there main outlet, also very helpful and good english.

hope this helps.

The Canon EOS range have some fantastic entry level DSLR cameras. The Rebel XSi for instance is a fantastic camera to start off with. I own an EOS 5D MkII, expensive as it is, it produces some fantastic photographs.

Someone might correct me here but I have heard rumors that the King declared all Canon camera products tax free in Thailand, is this true?

As mentioned in previous posts Canon have stores in Chiang Mai for support if required.

Edited by 111tingtong

I appreciate very much everyone's replies, all of which are very helpful to me. :jap:

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Rasseru,

You might think about attending one of the weekly meetings of the Chiang Mai Photographic Group, CPMG, and asking there. Many pro and semi-pro photographers there, as well as "newbies." They know the local resources very well, imho, and you'll certainly find people that follow all the latest "gear" developments avidly.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Someone might correct me here but I have heard rumors that the King declared all Canon camera products tax free in Thailand, is this true?

I wish! Just a fantasy I fear.

Just a note, the Canon Service Centre reception has moved. They only have service technicians at their old Mahidol Road location and you have to visit their new office on the outside of the moat to book anything in. It's on the south side, about 50 metres from the corner as you travel towards Chiang Mai Gate. They service most camera products up to mid range DSLRs but if they can't do it, they ship it to BKK which at least saves you the bother.

Something worth considering: buy from a good dealer like Photo Bug (main branch) and, should you have an issue which involves being slightly out of warranty period or anything unusual to deal with such as an occasionally recurring fault, you'll find they will deal with Canon for you and their relationship really gets things done. It was only after I'd booked a lens in for a focussing motor fault that I found they could probably have arranged it for free (or at least less) given the age of the product. That kind of service is not usually available from the chains such as Big Camera, Photo Hut and the like.

You are welcome to CMPG meetings at any time - see here for dates.

Edited by Greenside