Was Gifted A Bike, But Its Missing Some Paper Work. Now What?

hpwheelman

So I was just today gifted a bike, that I have only barley seen and know very little about. Am going to make further inspection on it later this week. However I do know that it is missing its green book (taken by the owner before the one who gifted it to me) and has not been registered in a "long time". Not sure how long. While I do have some info to find out, I am fairly positive the bike is not stolen and want to know what the process is for making it legal and getting it in my name. And to find out roughly what the registration late fee, new green book and penalties will cost. I am in Bangkok. Also looking for a good repair shop, as the bike has been sitting for some time. Any help is appreciated.

I think that unless you have the original owners (name in green book) ID card copy or death certificate you have pretty much no chance of getting a new book. What bike is it. As BBBKK said it may be better to part it out or sell it as is. depends on what bike it is..

If you do not have any signed and verified docs from registered owner including signed copy of ID, you may be arrested for theft.

Anyone using someone else vehicle should have a written permission or at least two witnesses when handed over vehicle from registered owner.

The reg process is another civil case matter, and not as important as above mentioned criminal case scenario

Chances of legalizing are slim to none.. Risks of riding it range from being fined for not having tax, registrations, etc all the way up to theft if the book holder reported it stolen.

If your anywhere not very rural.. Probably worth more as parts.

What you could attempt to do, not legally of course, is find a 'grey book' for it and have the numbers restamped.

Its not legal of course, but if done well its very hard to tell and I have never seen a properly done one (where the exact bike, model, and age matched) cause problems.

Just depends on what bike it is and if a book can be found.

Well took a look at the bike today, I was wrong. It is a Phantom 150. The person who is giving it to me is checking with the authorities (his buddy works somewhere in licencing or something) about tracking down and retrieving or replacing the green book. If that clears I will keep the bike as it is in very nice condition and I could use a daily commuter. If not, well like some of you said, free can cost more sometimes. And its not worth it for a widely available Honda Phantom. Thanks everyone.

Is the Phantom 150 2 stroke? If so maybe very, very difficult to renew green book.

liquid cooled 150 2-stroke, more powerfull than 200 4-stroke aircooled, must be +8 years old

If de registered not more than 3 years, a replacement book should be easy by registered owner

I agree. But if over 3 years then it's gonna be hard cos it's a 2t.. And i remember renting one on Samui about 41/2 years ago.. strange little bike, chopper style but she would pick up her skirts and accelerate well