Windoze 2000 Advanced Server

ThaiAdventure

Just set up my home PC as a server.

The installation if the IIS went smoothly but now (of course) the Domain security permissions overrride the local security. I can log on as admin locally but the account I set up for the missus doesn't let her log on (local security settings do not allow interactive blah,blah bugger off). The "allow local log on" isn't enabled for users or power users in the local security settings because it is overwritten by the domain ones.

What do I change where to enable local log on of a single user without making them an administator, backup operator or anything else that can do serious damage.

Guest IT Manager

I wondered why I stuck with Win 2K Server, and didn't take the advanced version.

When I have any server problem, I join a newsgroup. I am away from work so I don't have the newsgroup name, however, Microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/networking and you can ask about 34000 daily visitors, and that is what I do.

If I don't know I say so, and I don't. Good luck.

I've sussed it....Eureka! (or should it be DOH!)

The log on locally was under the domain controller security settings and not the active directory users and computers (where I was looking) .

I knew the local settings must have been replicated for the domain controller somewhere! Who would have thought it was under domain controller security settings eh? :o

Hi there,

what a discussion for a home-network.

1.Advanced Server 2000 vs. Server 2000.

Do you really take the advantages of advanced server? We talk about Clustering, Loadbalancing and SMP with up to 8 CPU's !!!!! :o

2.User Logon on PDC

Well, you set up a domain. Your server now plays the role of a PDC. An ordinary PDC controls your domain (as the name implies). Because it is the main critical part in a windows domain structure it is by default not allowed for any normal user to logon on the PDC. Because this fact is related to security of PDC you will not find the settings in the AD but in the domain controller security settings.

Regards and greetings from Berlin

exchange1973

1.Advanced Server 2000 vs. Server 2000.

Do you really take the advantages of advanced server? We talk about Clustering, Loadbalancing and SMP with up to 8 CPU's !!!!!  :D

2.User Logon on PDC

Well, you set up a domain. Your server now plays the role of a PDC. An ordinary PDC controls your domain (as the name implies). Because it is the main critical part in a windows domain structure it is by default not allowed for any normal user to logon on the PDC. Because this fact is related to security of PDC you will not find the settings in the AD but in the domain controller security settings.

Regards and greetings from Berlin

exchange1973

In terms of Lan, I don't think there is much in it between the two. In terms of web servers then I would opt for Advanced. Clustering and load balancing really only comes into its own with 100+ users (NT used to die with 25+). You only get those sorts of numbers on large corperate intranets or the internet. What it means in reality is that you reduce the number of machines to handle large numbers of connections...or....transparently use multiple machines.

As for the PDC problem I had. It makes sense with hindsight (thats why I said DOH) which I was suprised at-what with it being Microsoft. It was just my ignorance. My scenario is not the norm as generally no-one but the admin would access the controller localy (or indeed remotely). What I was surprised at is the differentiation between the PDC account and other accounts. I'm so used to being the administrator that I have never looked at adding anyone else to the PDC :o

@zendesigner

Server 2003 is an old hat. run it for several months. :D

On a laptop? redundant powersupply? redundant networkinterfaces? RAID? B)

I'm sure this make sense :o

@thaiadventure:

well, advanced server is for networks with a greater number of clients or a huge number of requests. there is a server2003 webedition, which is cheaper than the standard edition and includes mainly webbased services.

What a business do you operate. which services do you offer based on your system.

regards

exchange1973.

What a business do you operate. which services do you offer based on your system.

I have an engineering business. I don't offer any services directly utilising my home PC but I do use it to resolve problems which I replicate from my customers systems. The cost of breaking my machine is minimal compared a corperate network.