Suzuki Gsx-R1000 K11

Richard-BKK

The K11 is identical to the K9/K10 and weighs more than the K7/K8 which weighs more than the K5/K6...

The K5/K6 was the last Gixxer to lose weight. Every model since has been heavier.

K6/K6 Dry Weight: 166 kg

K7/K8 Dry Weight: 172 kg

The K7/K8 gained 14 pounds over the 2005-2006 model due to its new exhaust system and new emissions regulations.

Since 2009 Suzuki only publishes "curb weight" or wet weight rather than dry weight so I'm not sure what the Dry Weight is for the K9-K11 model GSXR, but the K9-K11's wet weight is more than the wet weight of all the previous models.

Of course, most of the extra weight on the newer models is from the cats and cans, so it's not hard to put the Gixxer on a diet and lose some weight.

Suzuki's new Gixxer K12, may be launched in late 2011 as a 2012 model and should be amazing. Rumors of a cross plane engine, traction control, launch control and race ABS abound.

The K11 is a bit old school in that it lacks all of the technological marvels that should be present in the K12. I think I'll start saving my satang now in hopes that the K12 will come to Thailand by the end of this year B)

Ride On!

Tony

Tony. I hope you have a BIG coin jar....Your going to need it biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Heh heh! Did I mention I accept donations and charity? :jap:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also find it amazing that they always seem to be able to get the bike lighter, the GSX-R1000 K11 is according to Suzuki 5 kilogram (11 lb) lighter.

Who told you that?

The K11 is identical to the K9/K10 and weighs more than the K7/K8 which weighs more than the K5/K6...

The K5/K6 was the last Gixxer to lose weight. Every model since has been heavier.

The K7/K8 gained 14 pounds over the 2005-2006 model due to its new exhaust system and new emissions regulations.

Since 2009 Suzuki only publishes "curb weight" or wet weight rather than dry weight so I'm not sure what the Dry Weight is for the K9-K11 model GSXR, but the K9-K11's wet weight is more than the wet weight of all the previous models.

Of course, most of the extra weight on the newer models is from the cats and cans, so it's not hard to put the Gixxer on a diet and lose some weight.

Suzuki's new Gixxer K12, may be launched in late 2011 as a 2012 model and should be amazing. Rumors of a cross plane engine, traction control, launch control and race ABS abound.

The K11 is a bit old school in that it lacks all of the technological marvels that should be present in the K12. I think I'll start saving my satang now in hopes that the K12 will come to Thailand by the end of this year B)

Ride On!

Tony

Suzuki says 5 kilo lighter, http://www.thaisuzuk...sx/catalog.html see page 5, or is it page 4.... Also the picture you posted is the GSX-R1000 K10, the K11 available in Thailand looks like this

Richard,

Surely you know that other than the paint scheme the K11 is identical to the K9 and K10.

The picture you posted at the beginning of this thread shows a US Spec GSX-R K11. Is that the version that will be sold in Thailand?

Weight often does vary from one market to the next. California models are always heavier as they have additional pollution control equipment.

As far as the weight of the K11, who's figures are you going to trust? The conflicting numbers of thaisuzuki or those of Suzuki USA which indicate the curb weight of the K9, K10 and K11 GSX-R's to be 205kg (452 lbs.)

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/GSX-R1000/2011/GSXR1000.aspx

Thailand will probably get the California model so it may well be a kilo or two heavier than the published figures.

As mentioned before, most of the extra weight on the newer models comes from cats, cans and pollution control devices which most buyers will modify or remove anyway, so arguing about a kilo or two on a stock bike is a bit silly...

Ride On!

Tony

I also find it amazing that they always seem to be able to get the bike lighter, the GSX-R1000 K11 is according to Suzuki 5 kilogram (11 lb) lighter.

Who told you that?

Ride On!

Tony

Suzuki says 5 kilo lighter, http://www.thaisuzuk...sx/catalog.html see page 5, or is it page 4.... Also the picture you posted is the GSX-R1000 K10, the K11 available in Thailand looks like this

Richard,

Surely you know that other than the paint scheme the K11 is identical to the K9 and K10.

The picture you posted at the beginning of this thread shows a US Spec GSX-R K11. Is that the version that will be sold in Thailand?

Weight often does vary from one market to the next. California models are always heavier as they have additional pollution control equipment.

As far as the weight of the K11, who's figures are you going to trust? The conflicting numbers of thaisuzuki or those of Suzuki USA which indicate the curb weight of the K9, K10 and K11 GSX-R's to be 205kg (452 lbs.)

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/GSX-R1000/2011/GSXR1000.aspx

Thailand will probably get the California model so it may well be a kilo or two heavier than the published figures.

As mentioned before, most of the extra weight on the newer models comes from cats, cans and pollution control devices which most buyers will modify or remove anyway, so arguing about a kilo or two on a stock bike is a bit silly...

Ride On!

Tony

Some kilometers away from California, Suzuki Germany also specifies the GSX-R1000 as being 205 kilogram.

As far “who we going to trust” I trust the specifications given by Suzuki.

GSX-R1000L1.pdf

wow arguing about a kilo or two...

190hp is alot, when is it enough???

We are getting to speeds now that are really dodgy...

Guess we can all agree that the GSXR1000 is NOT a beginner bike- Which leads me to my next question, how many people are capable of using all those horses on the roads?

I know that I would go flat out once I arrived the highway, not caring about anything but speed. But what about you people who lives up in the urban jungle? what about a nice ride on the GIXXER in bangkok, sounds tempting?

Usable hp is more important sometimes, but I do like speed!

Yeah Snowflake, I agree with you. However, I am still trying to figure out how the 190hp will help much. Every single Japanese superbike is now (and has been for the past several years) speed limited to a maximum of 300 km/h (185 mph) Without the limiter they would be capable of in excess of 200 mph. So the 190hp isn't going to help on the top end very much, and it's not like most people are ever going to top out their bike anyways since you're going to need a LOOOOOONNNG stretch of road to do it. (Take a cue from Top Gear's test of the Bugatti Veyron and realize how much distance is necessary to reach those types of speeds and to come to a safe stop.) In terms of acceleration, I don't think the extra hp will drop that much 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. It's not like on a car where you can drag race by just dumping the clutch at 3k rpm. On any 1 liter+ bike your never going to use any where near the power that the bike actually makes on a dead stop acceleration because you will lose control. It MIGHT be useful if you are already at speed and want/need a sudden boost of acceleration (like to pass a car). But I wouldn't want to trade in my 5 year old CBR for a performance improvements measured in tenths or hundredths of a second.

Sportbikes are reaching the point of diminishing returns. Yes, power and technology are increasing, but anymore development and it is beyond the ability of the human rider to actually utilize.

• Like 1

Yeah Snowflake, I agree with you. However, I am still trying to figure out how the 190hp will help much. Every single Japanese superbike is now (and has been for the past several years) speed limited to a maximum of 300 km/h (185 mph) Without the limiter they would be capable of in excess of 200 mph. So the 190hp isn't going to help on the top end very much, and it's not like most people are ever going to top out their bike anyways since you're going to need a LOOOOOONNNG stretch of road to do it. (Take a cue from Top Gear's test of the Bugatti Veyron and realize how much distance is necessary to reach those types of speeds and to come to a safe stop.) In terms of acceleration, I don't think the extra hp will drop that much 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. It's not like on a car where you can drag race by just dumping the clutch at 3k rpm. On any 1 liter+ bike your never going to use any where near the power that the bike actually makes on a dead stop acceleration because you will lose control. It MIGHT be useful if you are already at speed and want/need a sudden boost of acceleration (like to pass a car). But I wouldn't want to trade in my 5 year old CBR for a performance improvements measured in tenths or hundredths of a second.

Sportbikes are reaching the point of diminishing returns. Yes, power and technology are increasing, but anymore development and it is beyond the ability of the human rider to actually utilize.

Not so long ago, me and some friends try to break the 300km/h barrier at Bira circuit on a Suzuki GSX-1300R we didn't reach our goal, 300km/h is very very fast and Bira circuit is just too small.

Some kilometers away from California, Suzuki Germany also specifies the GSX-R1000 as being 205 kilogram.

As far "who we going to trust" I trust the specifications given by Suzuki.

Well Euro IV and Calif spec should be same weight, as emission is very similar.

If they provide wet weight, an increase in fuel tank or radiator or oil cooler from K9/10 and decrease in dry weight could explain the mix of weights.

I just realized something else interesting, I actually don't know if you can even buy the k11 in the U.S.A. Suzuki stopped importing 2010 bikes altogether to the U.S. I was trying to google the GSXR 1000 for 2011 and it looks like the 1000cc bike is unchanged from the previous model, and only the 600 and 750's are all new:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandupdates/motorcycle_news/122_1101_first_look_2011_sportbikes/index.html

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/640/8113/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Suzuki-GSX-R600-and-GSX-R750-First-Look.aspx

Suzuki may just be importing the previous generation bikes (for the 1000cc bikes) and labeling them as 2011 model years. Anyone know for sure?

Googling around confirms what Tony said, the GSXR-1000 K11 is just a K10 with different color fairings - to say that was unclear from the Thai catalogue would be an understatement.

Suzuki is furiously working on the K12, adding all those things that the S1000RR and to some extent the 2011 Ninja ZX-10R have.

If they provide wet weight, an increase in fuel tank or radiator or oil cooler from K9/10 and decrease in dry weight could explain the mix of weights.

Even in India the GSX-R1000 is 205 kilogram http://www.suzukimotorcycle.co.in/gsx1000.asp

I just realized something else interesting, I actually don't know if you can even buy the k11 in the U.S.A. Suzuki stopped importing 2010 bikes altogether to the U.S. I was trying to google the GSXR 1000 for 2011 and it looks like the 1000cc bike is unchanged from the previous model, and only the 600 and 750's are all new:

http://www.motorcycl...ikes/index.html

http://www.motorcycl...First-Look.aspx

Suzuki may just be importing the previous generation bikes (for the 1000cc bikes) and labeling them as 2011 model years. Anyone know for sure?

As I mentioned earlier, the K11 is identical to the K9 and K10, only the color has changed.

190 hp. The advancements in bike technology are amazing. I am still waiting for 200hp from a 1 liter engine. Of course, I really don't know how useful this power is. My lowly 2006 CBR1000rr only makes 158hp, and I can't even use most of its power. Too much throttle at a launch and it will wheelie (and if you don't back off on the throttle it will throw you off and crash). 190hp even more so of the "how am I going to even use this much power". Don't get me wrong, it's great the breakthroughs the manufacturers are making. But technological breakthroughs are still limited by the ability of the riders.

Um, so Richard, the K11 it 5Kg lighter than what, exactly? :rolleyes:

http://www.motorcycl...ikes/index.html

http://www.motorcycl...First-Look.aspx

As I mentioned earlier, the K11 is identical to the K9 and K10, only the color has changed.

I kind of see that now after (re)reading your post. I usually just look at pictures. :rolleyes::whistling:

Even in India the GSX-R1000 is 205 kilogram http://www.suzukimot....in/gsx1000.asp

They sell a lot of Gixxers in India?

You might want to let them know that their copyright notice is a few years out of date-

© 2008 Suzuki Motorcycle India Pvt. Ltd. - All rights reserved

:lol:

• 1 year later...

Fantastic news!

I'm assuming the new Gixxer is being sold at Suzuki World? I see they've updated their website:

http://www.thaisuzuk...th/suzukiworld/

Any idea if the Gixxer sold in Thailand is FULL POWER or restricted? I wonder if the Suzuki sales staff even know? (The sales staff as Kawasaki's Big Bike Showroom didn't even know that the Ninja ZX10R sold in Thailand is restricted until customers started to complain...)

Awesome to have another liter bike available!

Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R (restricted annoyed.gif) 650K Baht

Suzuki GSX-R (restricted or no???) 799K Baht

Yamaha R1 (FULL POWER) 870K Baht

Of the Japanese big 4 now only Honda is missing... rolleyes.gif

If the Gixxer if FULL POWER I'd take that over the R1 any day. (Though the K11 is a bit of a fat pig compared to the old K5/K6) wink.gif

If the new Gixxer is FULL POWER I expect it will sell very well at 799k Baht.

Ride On!

Tony

I assume you have not mentioned Honda cbr100rr due to its restriction for thai market . i would imagine if Suzuki sell full power here that Honda might rethink this strategy.

Fantastic news!

I'm assuming the new Gixxer is being sold at Suzuki World? I see they've updated their website:

http://www.thaisuzuk...th/suzukiworld/

Any idea if the Gixxer sold in Thailand is FULL POWER or restricted? I wonder if the Suzuki sales staff even know? (The sales staff as Kawasaki's Big Bike Showroom didn't even know that the Ninja ZX10R sold in Thailand is restricted until customers started to complain...)

Awesome to have another liter bike available!

Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R (restricted annoyed.gif) 650K Baht

Suzuki GSX-R (restricted or no???) 799K Baht

Yamaha R1 (FULL POWER) 870K Baht

Of the Japanese big 4 now only Honda is missing... rolleyes.gif

If the Gixxer if FULL POWER I'd take that over the R1 any day. (Though the K11 is a bit of a fat pig compared to the old K5/K6) wink.gif

If the new Gixxer is FULL POWER I expect it will sell very well at 799k Baht.

Ride On!

Tony

I assume you have not mentioned Honda cbr100rr due to its restriction for thai market . i would imagine if Suzuki sell full power here that Honda might rethink this strategy.

I didn't mention the Honda CBR1000RR because when I wrote that post it wasn't available in Thailand except via Grey Market importers. :)

The engine of the GSX-R1000 will produce more than 190 horsepower in A-mode fuel-mapping.

Suzuki Thailand also has the new Suzuki GSX-1300R Hayabusa K11 on stock for 830,000 Bht. For the people who are looking for a good deal, you can get a Suzuki GSX-1300R Hayabusa K9 for a special price.

And within a few weeks I will have finished the official Suzuki parts price list. Of all Suzuki Big Bike parts available in Thailand

Do you work for Suzuki? This sounds more like an ad than a friendly informational post.

offtopic2.gif I still maintain that the adverse reputation of news from R-BKK is in large part because he often repeats publicity releases or 3'd party rumors without attribution. Take these 'announcements' and 'news' items in that context, and they are worth considering for what they are. Problem is that publicity-types are often ahead of the eventualities and speculators are guessing.

And there are numerous times when the facts are correct. Note: I do not say a majority of the times.

So I read these bits in their context - after all, this is Thai Visa!signthaivisa.gif One squeezes and then screens facts extracted from the dross.

Those of us who lust for more big bikes made in Thailand, to challenge Kawa with price, may well have a long wait.violin.gifASEAn agreements are up to 250cc only, are they not? Thais have established punishing 'protective' import duties in order to force investment in manufacturing facilities here, and they will continue to do so as long as it brings them an advantage (as against exports).

What we are more likely to see (my humble view) are Chinese investors moving in to assemble bigger bikes, built here not so much for a domestic market (which is small, compared to Western nations), but for export.

Edited by CMX

I don't know about all the political infighting and backbiting between which member knows what, and where he learned it.

But back on topic, I owned a K5 back in the day...and turned it into a track bike.

Just stinky stupid fast when tuned to about 160 bhp at the rear wheel on the dyno.

190 is ballistic missile class....hope it comes with traction control that works. smile.png

I don't know about all the political infighting and backbiting between which member knows what, and where he learned it.

But back on topic, I owned a K5 back in the day...and turned it into a track bike.

Just stinky stupid fast when tuned to about 160 bhp at the rear wheel on the dyno.

190 is ballistic missile class....hope it comes with traction control that works. smile.png

190 horses will be hard to utilise on thai roads ,this could be the new "widow maker " if many of them get sold

offtopic2.gif I still maintain that the adverse reputation of news from R-BKK is in large part because he often repeats publicity releases or 3'd party rumors without attribution. Take these 'announcements' and 'news' items in that context, and they are worth considering for what they are. Problem is that publicity-types are often ahead of the eventualities and speculators are guessing.

And there are numerous times when the facts are correct. Note: I do not say a majority of the times.

So I read these bits in their context - after all, this is Thai Visa!signthaivisa.gif One squeezes and then screens facts extracted from the dross.

Those of us who lust for more big bikes made in Thailand, to challenge Kawa with price, may well have a long wait.violin.gifASEAn agreements are up to 250cc only, are they not? Thais have established punishing 'protective' import duties in order to force investment in manufacturing facilities here, and they will continue to do so as long as it brings them an advantage (as against exports).

What we are more likely to see (my humble view) are Chinese investors moving in to assemble bigger bikes, built here not so much for a domestic market (which is small, compared to Western nations), but for export.

I don't see the logic of Chinese investors making big bikes here. Surely they can build big bikes at home for far less.

People are too hard on Richard-BKK. In many years on this forum, I have never had a problem with him, and he usually goes out of his way to be helpful. If he has gotten things wrong in the past, I would attribute that to human nature as nobody is 100% correct all the time.

190 horses will be hard to utilise on thai roads ,this could be the new "widow maker " if many of them get sold

Bah, people kill themselves on scooters every day and in far greater numbers that big bikes. The current "widow maker" in Thailand are scooters. I believe Suzuki, Thailand only sold something like 8 bikes last year. I'm betting most were 'Busas, as those are still super-popular with many Thais.

This poster always makes me LOL ;)

3295631-busaposter41811543.jpg

Bah, people kill themselves on scooters every day and in far greater numbers that big bikes. The current "widow maker" in Thailand are scooters. I believe Suzuki, Thailand only sold something like 8 bikes last year. I'm betting most were 'Busas, as those are still super-popular with many Thais.

This poster always makes me LOL wink.png

exchange every wave in the country for a 190 hp GSXR and see what happens on the weekends :D

This poster always makes me LOL wink.png

exchange every wave in the country for a 190 hp GSXR and see what happens on the weekends biggrin.png

And pigs can fly... sidepic-zippy.gif

The hayabusa is A nasty machine.You had better dam_n well know what your doing when ya climb on.If ya don't respect it,it will leave ya laying in the road.

People said that about the Kwaka Mach 3 way back when....and they were right! I didn't get thrown, but I know someone who did.

cowboy.gif LOL, got my first speeding ticket in Highschool on a friend's Kawi H-1 triple widowmaker. That was one wicked bike.

I bought a Kawasaki H2 750 in 1972 or 73, when it was a brand new model.

I know this is dating me terribly, but what can I say...I'm an Official Old Guy of 60.

Rode the piss out of that bike- even went on an extended sport touring road trip from San Francisco to Vancouver BC.

Flexi-flyer frame, swing arm like a wet noodle...but back then it was the fastest 1/4 mile bike on the road. I vaguely remember a figure of 12.4 seconds, but I could be mistaken.

As long as you were going in a straight line, that is.....which was rare, given the high speed wobble.....