Cooking Oil

Smiles

It's only the cheap, clog your arteries oil that is becoming scarce.

Good quality oil is readily available, but of course this will hurt the pubs, because they only use the cheapest stuff.

Edited by uptheos

The latest rage in the US is coconut oil as it is now thought to be more healthy than most other cooking oils. It is now becoming available even at Walmart for about $5 USD per quart so maybe we are buying up the world supply at these high prices.

The latest rage in the US is coconut oil as it is now thought to be more healthy than most other cooking oils. It is now becoming available even at Walmart for about $5 USD per quart so maybe we are buying up the world supply at these high prices.

Internal use of coconut oil occurs primarily as cooking oil. Coconut oil helps in improving the digestive system and thus prevents various stomach and digestion related problems including irritable bowel syndrome. The saturated fats present in coconut oil have anti microbial properties and help in dealing with various bacteria, fungi, parasites, etc., that cause indigestion. Coconut oil also helps in absorption of other nutrients such as vitamins minerals and amino acids.

Coconut milk and coconut oil are currently in a national (and soon to be world, as Thailand is a large exporter) shortage due to a drought during the last growing season. It is resulting in scarcity, and very high prices. We can probably expect food prices in Thai restaurants to rise slightly as a result. As for other oils and things, I cannot speak to that.

How do I know this? I Googled "coconut milk shortage" a few weeks ago because I was wondering at the empty supermarket shelves, and a "3 boxes per family" limit at Rimping.

It started back early Jan I noticed whilst on vacation that all the oil had disappeared from the shelves in one day, the wife told me taht the price had increased significantly so people had bought what was available before the increase.

Coconut oil sounds like the way forward.

Tastes great and is meant to be very healthy for you but it's around the 400 baht mark for a bottle of the stuff in carrefour

Tesco have their own brand of Olive Oil for about 170 baht a bottle. We also buy imported, Sunbeam Canola Oil ,1 litre, about 95 baht. I think the amount of claims and counter claims that exist about what is actually good for your body leaves the general public in a state of total confusion or maybe its just me.

It started back early Jan I noticed whilst on vacation that all the oil had disappeared from the shelves in one day, the wife told me taht the price had increased significantly so people had bought what was available before the increase.

Coconut oil sounds like the way forward.

Just to clarify, when you say coconut oil do you mean palm oil? Or are we talking two different animals here??

Don't use vegetable oil for cooking. It's very bad for your health. Best oils for cooking (heating) are coconut and macadamia. Olive oil (cold pressed) is great on salads and can be lightly heated. Real butter and ghee are also good.

Edited by thaitar

Its gonna be everything else pretty soon

Start putting aside extra rice and water - the system is breaking

They already had the rice shortage about a year or two ago. Yeah right -- a rice shortage in Thailand. :whistling: First it was three bags, then only one bag per family. Same thing...all the shelves were bare everywhere in the country. Prices went to the moon on exports. Someone was making a profit...

Just checked Lotus Kamthien and their shelves are more bare than Mother Hubbards. At least she had a dog

There have got to be little ntreet vendors that will be closing , I'm sure it they cannot get some cooking oil..... What is the alternative ????

Thank goodness I've got some extra for my car.

Just checked Lotus Kamthien and their shelves are more bare than Mother Hubbards. At least she had a dog

There have got to be little ntreet vendors that will be closing , I'm sure it they cannot get some cooking oil..... What is the alternative ????

Thank goodness I've got some extra for my car.

People like yourself, who give value for money will feel the pinch.

I have tasted your Fish and Chips and it seems to me that you change oil regularly. However, there are pubs that charge more than you, give skimpy portions and the taste of the overused oil is awful.

The price some of these places charge for their portions should be using finest virgin pressed olive oil anyway.

What goes up and then gets restricted in quantity.?

Cheap Vegetable Oil - Bought out and stored by farang restaurants.

Cheapest White Rice - The big 10kg bags at Tesco were sold out I notice, probably bought out by farang restaurants.

Panic buying by restaurant owners (and Thai's seeing it dwindle)

Personally, I would be perfectly OK if Thai's only, were allowed the cheapest rice and oil, they have families to feed and many have very little money with which to do so......after all farangs are not 'cheap charlies' and quite like paying the higher prices.

Cheapest White Rice - The big 10kg bags at Tesco were sold out I notice, probably bought out by farang restaurants.

Personally, I would be perfectly OK if Thai's only, were allowed the cheapest rice and oil, they have families to feed and many have very little money with which to do so......after all farangs are not 'cheap charlies' and quite like paying the higher prices.

You must live in a different Thailand I suppose.

You must live in a different Thailand I suppose.

You haven't been here long enough to understand the connotation of this sentence, but others will. smile.gif