I'm Having Problems Downloading Gif's.

chownah

I'm wanting to learn about animations and many people advise downloading some gif's and checking them out....the problem is that when I download they come across as bmp's(not animated)...not gif's. I think there is some setting on my computer that is doing this. I'm running wilndows xp....all help is appreciated.

I'm wanting to learn about animations and many people advise downloading some gif's and checking them out....the problem is that when I download they come across as bmp's(not animated)...not gif's.  I think there is some setting on my computer that is doing this.  I'm running wilndows xp....all help is appreciated.

What browser are you using and what photo viewer/editor?

cv

I'm wanting to learn about animations and many people advise downloading some gif's and checking them out....the problem is that when I download they come across as bmp's(not animated)...not gif's.  I think there is some setting on my computer that is doing this.  I'm running wilndows xp....all help is appreciated.

Newbie to XP.

I do know from experience of downloading gifs, I have come a cropper to little nasty bugs which also seem to come embeded with the pretty pic.

Well, such is life. :o

in case the "gif" not 100% loaded .. the internet explorer save this then as .bmp ..

just give him alittle more time ;-)

or copy the URL to the grafic .. and paste in a new explorer window ...

to oad only that gif-image ...

then is more faster and easy to "download"

anyway .. if you can see the image then its already downloaded ;-)

What browser are you using and what photo viewer/editor?

cv

Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.blahblahblah

ACDSee 6.0.0.0064

At least I think its ACDSee...if I open windows explorer and double click on an image file it will open in ACDSee...so I guess its my viewer.

What's strange is I'm sure that I used to download gif's and jpg's and jpeg's but now it seems like everything gets downloaded as bmp's....until now I wasn't too worried about it because at least bmp's give you the best quality, at least I think this is right....but now I can't get the animations downloaded so its a problem.

Try this:

http://www.5star-shareware.com/Windows/Gra...ditors/psp.html

It's anolder version of painshop pro with a free trial period (the new version has no trial). It includes an animation shop that makes it very easy for beginners to create their own animations.

If you want complicated animations you will need to know java and flash.

cv

Chownah

Just a suggestion:

Open ACDSee, go into Options, and click on Miscellaneous. You will see an option for "Disable GIF Animation". Ensure this has not been checked.

Also when you save a picture from the internet a box should appear giving you the choice of Save as "File type" It sounds s though yours has a default of .bmp, simply saving a picture as .jpg should change that. Also ensure that you use the .gif when it is a graphics file you want to save. You normally have at least 2 options in File Type, GIF/BMP, JPG/BMP etc depending on the original file.

Hope this helps

Slimdog

Are you using Inernet Explorer?

Sometimes this behaviour can be fixed by clearing your cache:

Tools>internet Options>Delete Files

and

Tools>internet Options>Clear History.

Try this:

It's anolder version of painshop pro with a free trial period (the new version has no trial). It includes an animation shop that makes it very easy for beginners to create their own animations.

cv

Hi,

Do you know how long the trial period is?

Does the program stop working after the trial period?

I believe its 30 days. I know v6 Does stop functioning, but I've never had 5 before. Currently on v8.0 and there's no trial so don't go getting the new version)

cv

Try this:

cv

Hi,

Are you using Inernet Explorer?

Sometimes this behaviour can be fixed by clearing your cache:

Tools>internet Options>Delete Files

and

Tools>internet Options>Clear History.

Listen to this man

When the IE cache is full, saved images will be saved as bitmaps instead of jpeg/gif.

Empty the cache (or switch to firefox)

Thank you one and all for your suggestions....the problem is solved...I followed katana's advice and cleared the history and deleted the files but this had no effect...so I disabled the Image Toolbar by unselecting the "Enable Image Toolbar (requires restart)" option at Tools>Internet options>Advanced>Multimedia....then I restarted...and voila problem solved, now when I want to download I get two options just like slimdog had indicated.

I think it was disabling the Image Toolbar that did the trick...I guess with Image Toolbar enabled you only have one option for downloading and that is bmp....I guess this is one of Microsofts great ideas to make life better for me....ha!

Thanks again to everyone,

Chownah

I believe its 30 days. I know v6 Does stop functioning, but I've never had 5 before. Currently on v8.0 and there's no trial so don't go getting the new version)

cv

Try this:

cv

Hi,

Thanks. Version 4 and 5 of PSP can still be found on the net. With these, you can go on using them after the trial period (but with a nag screen), so I thought V. 6 might be the same.