Air Asia Carry-On Policy

Nisa

I am flying Air Asia in the am from BKK to Nakhon and noticed they state that you are only allowed 1 carry-on piece of luggage weighing no more than 7kg.

Does anybody have experience in terms of them actually weighing carry-on luggage AND is this 1 piece in addition to a purse or laptop bag as most airlines allow?

Any quick answers would be appreciated. I was just packing and noticed I will be over the 7kg if I put my laptop in my small suitcase. Also trying to figure out if my wife can carry her purse. I know these guys are budget but just wondering how budget they are when it comes to these things.

Thanks!

The last time I flew Air Asia I had a bag that I was going to carry on but it was about 10 kg. It was actually cheaper for me to check it than to pay the extra weight fee and carry it on myself. The person at the check-in counter told me the bag would be weighed again at the gate so I should check it since it would be cheaper. I did check it then when I got to the gate they weren't weighing anything. It seems strange that they charge less if you have them handle your bag for you than if you take it yourself.

Appreciate the replies. I guess I am going to roll the dice and see how it plays out. When I flew to international with them it wasn't an issue but for some reason I decided to read their policies this time and now have got myself worried. Probably because it was such a great deal for the flight I was a little worried and then realized they do nickel and dime you for anything they can.

Appreciate the replies. I guess I am going to roll the dice and see how it plays out. When I flew to international with them it wasn't an issue but for some reason I decided to read their policies this time and now have got myself worried. Probably because it was such a great deal for the flight I was a little worried and then realized they do nickel and dime you for anything they can.

I have just flown to Hanoi with them and judging from what some of the other passengers were carrying on board you could have brought a desktop computer and it would have been okay. I had a small notebook and my usual carry-on bag.

I fly Air Asia a lot; 2-3 times a month for the last 5 years. I have always carried a large laptop bag in addition to the 7kg cabin bag (a lightweight roller is ideal). I can stuff a few kg of extras apart from my dinky lightweight notebook into the laptop bag if I am going over on their cabin bag limit and/or the hold bag allowance that I have purchased.

I estimate that they check the cabin bag weight probably 1 out of every 5-10 flights, but it varies according to location (domestic Thai airports less than Swampy and less than other international airports).

I always travel with a bag checked into the hold also. I suspect that they would check cabin bags of those without hold bags much more frequently - they can almost guarantee rich pickings I would guess! At Swampy they tend to check the cabin bag at the gate whereas most other places, if they are going to check it, it's usually at the check-in counter.

I would say its not worth taking the gamble, since an extra 5kg booked in the hold is not exactly expensive. The first 15kg is a reasonable expense both ways, so get a big laptop bag and travel light if saving money is your objective - I think you will lose money on average hoping that they don't check your cabin bag if you paid nothing for luggage.

I haven't had Air Asia check carry-on bag weights on domestic flights but on my last 3 international flights out of Swampy they checked carry on bag weights on each flight - they had a set of scales to weigh the bags in the gate lounge.

On each of these flights a number of people had to pay some rather large excess baggage fees some of which probably cost more than the actual flight.

Well I checked-in online and didn't have to go to the counter and avoided any weighing there. At the gate they were so disorganized I could have carried on a small car without anyone batting an eye. Kind of irritating too because I ended up not taking a number of things I wish I would have but better safe then having to deal with problems at the gate. I still wish I knew if they were checking if indeed they consider a laptop bag / purse an additional carry-on item. Every other airline doesn't consider these a carry-on bag but then again most others are super discount airlines. But kind of funny how the mind works .. I book a flight because of the super low rate then I feel determined not to pay anything extra to lose the feeling of a great deal.