Aircon Question

wjmark

The aircon box outside is ok, but I would like to change the old-style noisy inside fan and heat exchanger.

Get one of those classy quiet white plastic internal units to replace my old big metal box.

Can I do this?

Any installer recommendations

~

Methinks your chances are slim indeed. To replace the inside unit with the same brand/style is one thing but I don't think there is any way, at least here in Thailand, to switch to a totally different unit like putting a Toyota engine in a Nissan.

This is the time of the year to change the entire system however, if you are quick. Aircons are not a hot-selling item as yet during this chilly weather and deals are out there. Check out HomePro or Panich near Airport Plaza on Mahidol Road.

Things wear out together - as soon as you replace the inside unit, you will be looking to replace a junk outside unit and match it to the nice new inside one you just bought..

~

I would guess that the inside & outside are designed and calibrated to work together so you could only replace with the exact same brand/model... And as the post above said they it slow season for aircon... so a good price can be had... Next month when it gets hot there will be no sales and a waiting list to install

No reason why you cannot do this but..........the capacity of the indoor evaporator must be the same. The critical component will be the expansion valve. This is set to allow just the correct amount of liquid from the outside condensor into the indoor evaporator unit where it flashes off back to a gas and absorbs the outside heat. If it is set to allow too little gas then you do not get the full cooling it is capable of. If it is set too high then not all the liquid will have time to flash off resulting in liquid being fed back to the compressor. As you cannot compress a lquid the compressor will 'bang' loudly as it starts up with damage probably resulting at some point.. As someone has pointed out, a Nissan engine in a Toyota. Yes it can be done but as to whether it is practical and viable is a different matter. Is the noisy fan clean with free bearings and the air filter clean, that would certainly help to make it noisy.